Author Topic: Medio | the Penthouse - Animation with Corona Render  (Read 11278 times)

2015-10-16, 17:57:28

worldmode

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hej Friends, we just finished this project and want to share it with you. It´s our first animation with Corona. Only the fire is made with Phoenix FD and Vray. It´s a residential development on a high architectural level. lichtecht produced this film for advanced marketing of the penthouse.
3D modelling, texturing, illumination, postproduction and editing by Peter Oldorf, Stefanie Arndt, Tanja Somers, Florian Piayda und Matthias Arndt.
Software - 3Ds Max 2015, Corona, GrowFx, Photoshop, AfterFX, Phoenix FD, Vray.
We hope, you like it. Feel free to ask for details. All the best from Hamburg. More images are on Behance:https://www.behance.net/gallery/30401073/MedioMittelweg-The-Penthouse

2015-10-16, 19:00:54
Reply #1

IzaiPiotr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • architekt wnętrz wrocław
I like the all renders. Did you use just corona light as main light source in the interiors shots?
https://www.wlodarski.org/ architekt wnętrz wrocław

2015-10-17, 20:17:04
Reply #2

RobSteady

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Looks great!
Can you tell us a little bit more about hardware, resolution and rendertimes for the still images?

2015-10-21, 11:11:23
Reply #3

worldmode

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot for your nice feedback! We use hdri plus corona lights for the interior. Hardware is different, We have a small renderfarm, from 16 Core to 40 Core machines, from 16 GB Ram to 48 GB Ram. Render times depends on the machine. Mainly we render 100 passes, it took 40 min to 4 hours per frame, depends on the machine and of course the scene. ;-)

2015-10-21, 13:32:33
Reply #4

RolandB

• Active Users
  • Corona fan
    • View Profile
    • Béhance portfolio
Hi !
I really love the exterior, especially the terrace. You spoke about one HDRI for the lighting, is it the case for the terrace too ?
For the background of the interior renders, is it a backplate ?
Thanks and congratulations
Roland
Portfolio on Béhance
http://www.behance.net/GCStudio

2015-10-21, 20:17:15
Reply #5

Ohnet

• Active Users
    • View Profile
really nice! everything is perfect, lighting, composition etc!

2015-10-23, 13:49:49
Reply #6

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Peter Guthrie Visualisation

2015-10-23, 14:22:25
Reply #7

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
It's artistically really well done, and shows in both pictures and animation .

But I have to be critical of the animation, but perhaps not against you so don't take it personal, seems like purely Corona issue, but I need to be sure it's not something I will come across in future, given how expensive animations are to render.

There is simply too much AA flickering and shimmering all over the animation, making everything literally "wobble", very uneasy, unpleasant to watch. Perhaps it's the UHD Cache ? Or just poor AA algorithm that doesn't account for neighboring frames ? Some of that could have been solved with stronger post-production motion blur, but not all.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-10-23, 16:17:32
Reply #8

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Yes, two things are distracting for me:
-flickering edges - I don't think this is UHD Cache, looks more like insufficient AA, knowing how many passes per frame were used would help judge it. Also, internal resolution@2 could help here, maybe? And maybe buckets.
-static noise pattern - this can be removed by unchecking "lock sampling pattern" in performance settings. It would also allow better post-production noise removal. This was very obvious in some scenes - for example the one with kitchen with a stone wall lit from below.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-10-23, 17:58:08
Reply #9

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
Yes, two things are distracting for me:
-flickering edges - I don't think this is UHD Cache, looks more like insufficient AA, knowing how many passes per frame were used would help judge it. Also, internal resolution@2 could help here, maybe? And maybe buckets.
-static noise pattern - this can be removed by unchecking "lock sampling pattern" in performance settings. It would also allow better post-production noise removal. This was very obvious in some scenes - for example the one with kitchen with a stone wall lit from below.

In my view Lock Samples should be off by default. I really see no reason to have it on by default, as it seems to result in this exact issue for anyone doing animation and doesn't seem to make any real-world difference when working on stills.
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk
max 2016 sp1, corona 1.3 final, win 8.1. pro

2015-10-23, 20:45:17
Reply #10

worldmode

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot for your comments, especially to Peter! I miss "spritz time" in Italy. :-)) Also thanks a lot to Juraj and the others for the technical stuff. In our next animation we will look at these points. For our first Animation with Corona we we're very happy with the results. we came from Vray and we were sick of flickering or precalculation or rendertimes with brute force. So we like the checkbox for animation very much. :-)))

2015-10-24, 14:25:36
Reply #11

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I would love some spritz! ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-10-26, 11:25:19
Reply #12

Cheesemsmsm

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Would you mind to share interior lighting setup ?

very impressive !