Author Topic: Noname #1  (Read 4676 times)

2013-02-16, 14:36:49

SanderB

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just testdriving the corona renderer and getting some great results so far.
There are a few features i would gladly welcome but by searching through the forum they seem to be already in the pipeline :)
Two things about this scene:
The leaves are opacity mapped and are coming out with a bit of blurred edges. I also rendered the close-up shot without dof and there it was more noticable. Could ofcourse also have to do with my mat setup but nevertheless i didnt thought it was too problematic.
Had some weird things going on with the glassmat. At some point it had a lot of weird splotches in it which i believe were to blame on pushing the gain on a colorcorrection map on a bitmap too high. Also at some point there was some noticable colorchange through the glass which i cant remember how i fixed it but thought was very odd at the time. (also don't seem to be able to reproduce it at the moment)
Anyways I am surely planning on doing some more scenes with corona in the future, great job on it so far :)

2013-02-16, 15:56:48
Reply #1

iliyang

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Maybe you can reduce the blurriness of the leaves by increasing the opacity texture resolution. I think that the smaller the resolution is, the blurrier they will appear. The texture is probably being bi-linear interpolated, which smears the edges of the objects.

2013-02-16, 16:18:39
Reply #2

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Hi and welcome.

For opacity maps, always be sure to set blur of your opacity bitmap to lowest value possible - 0,01.

About glassmat...  i am not sure i understand what you exactly mean :) A screenshot/render of the problem along with screenshot of the material setup would help a bit :)

2013-02-16, 17:52:19
Reply #3

SanderB

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ah yeah the blur in the opacitymap was at its default 1, that's prolly it looking at some quick testrenders. I didnt really investigate it further because i didnt thought it was that noticable/bad.
For the glass mat i tried to reproduce what i meant, but i seem to not be able to :(. U can still see it a bit on the picture i posted on the top glass part i think, there is a blackish splotch on it which shouldnt be there normally and at 1 point there were more of them. But i've been tweaking the mat quite some and i thought at some point it had something to do with the gain on a colorcorrection on a bitmap in the refraction slot, but i seem to be mistaken. Ah well guess it was prolly some fail mat setting somewhere by me.

2013-02-16, 18:38:20
Reply #4

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Ahh, you meant glass board of the table, now i understand...  Not sure what could cause it, if there is a texture, it might just react in unexpected way with refraction and Fresnel falloff... strange... But of course as the renderer is still in alpha stage, there is still a fair possibility that it's a bug...

By the way, what do you use as your secondary GI solver? :)

2013-02-16, 19:21:46
Reply #5

SanderB

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I used path tracer

2013-02-16, 21:11:18
Reply #6

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Try HDcache and see if it goes any faster :)

2013-02-19, 16:38:29
Reply #7

SanderB

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I did two tests last weekend while watching a soccergame on the telly, a fully unbiased render during the first half and a PT+HD during second.
So both rendered about the same time( HD a little shorter) and afterwards comparing the two i could only see some real difference in the noise in the shadow areas. The HD one was quite a bit smoother already in those areas. Since I wasn't watching while rendering i can't say anything about the buildup of both images but I could conclude the HD being faster going to a more noise free image.
I am planning to play a bit with Corona again the coming few days so will do some more testing :)