Chaos Corona for Cinema 4D > [C4D] Daily Builds

Why Is the New PBR Better?

<< < (2/6) > >>

davemahi:

--- Quote from: maru on 2021-01-04, 18:25:05 ---Please see this forum thread for some basic information about the features of the new material and the differences compared to the legacy one:
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=31802

In short:
- it does not allow users to create fake materials (materials that are not possible in real life like plasti-metal)

--- End quote ---

I can understand that logic, but I have always found not being able to cheat shaders out of real world is a big problem for 3D artists.
To get realism you have to break the rules in CG (my opinion). You will always lead to a situation in a render where you say "well this is physically right, but something looks off"
Then you will be stuck with these basic PBR controls.

I don't think the renders in your example page (https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=31802) look all that great, even a bit more CG than usual. I loved Corona for how the materials looked compared to other renders. I hope the PBR look improves.

Dave.

BigAl3D:
I guess to add to Dave's post, when on a deadline, sometimes doing things the "real" way will take too long to set up and too long to render. I always find a way to cheat for the right look.

lollolo:

--- Quote from: maru on 2021-01-04, 18:25:05 ---Please see this forum thread for some basic information about the features of the new material and the differences compared to the legacy one:
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=31802

In short:
- it does not allow users to create fake materials (materials that are not possible in real life like plasti-metal)
- it looks better (since the materials are more physically accurate)
- it has new features (like the sheen parameter or anisotropic refraction)

We will definitely create a proper guide with examples for our helpdesk and the V7 release blog.

--- End quote ---

I followed this thread and I think the PBR material looks amazing but the old is amazing as well. So I would be interested to see "before and after". Old and new material directly compared.

burnin:
a thought on Plastic-Metal and why PBR is Better

Oh, it's done faster, better and fake shit looks so real one can 'smell' it.
Now, the great thing about PBR is, it's our common ground!
Think! No more: "Je ne sais quoi."
Simply use referenced physical properties on a single material.
Don't be bothered anymore, make your client happy.
Voila!

Really wanna know? Get experienced - Exercise in perception.

ja_brzoza:
I'm trying the new Physical Material in C4D. As far as I can see the reflection IOR is linked with the refraction. Is there a way to limit the amount of reflection, but don't change the refraction? It is a realistic situation as when you take a photo and use polarizing filters you can limit the amount of reflected light. Is it possible to achieve this with PBR material?

Best,
Lukasz

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version