Author Topic: Not using all CPU power when zooming into an object  (Read 3443 times)

2015-07-06, 14:27:34

rambambulli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi All,

I have a question. My CPU doesn't uses 100% all the time when I hit render. The closer I zoom into an object the less CPU corona uses. Is this a normal behaviour?
If I detach the diffuse bitmap of the material I am looking at it runs on a 100% again. Attach the material and it uses 15-20% of my CPU and sometimes not even all of the cores. Has this something to do with bitmap filtering or blurring? Why does this influence the CPU usage so much?

I tested it on 2 computer. Both the same problem. I can't recall experiencing this before.
I use 3ds max 2015 and Corona 1.00.02

Please help, thanks a lot.

2015-07-06, 17:30:57
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
try the latest corona build, and use coronabitmap instead of 3ds max bitmap (mtl converter can switch it)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-07-06, 17:44:51
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Ondra this is already logged in our support. He tried different things but no solution yet. I let Ludvik know too.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-07-06, 19:17:01
Reply #3

rambambulli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Ondra and Maru,

I have been helped by the support desk. Very fast response!!! Briliant.
So far no solution. I'm trying different machines now. So far 2-1. 2 have the problem 1 worked fine.
I'll test with the Coronabitmap as you suggested.

I will figure it out  with the support team further. Again the support is great. (my telecom provider could learn a lot from you guys :)).

Thanks!

2015-07-06, 19:39:01
Reply #4

rambambulli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Solved!

Support replied:

1. Open asset tracker using Shift+T

2. In top menu bar, under under "Bitmap Performance and Memory" menu, uncheck "Enable bitmap paging" option (if it's enabled)

3. Save your scene

4.  Close 3ds max and run it again (Don't skip this step!!)

5. Open the scene again

6. Render

Still figuring out how it got enabled.

Again thanks for the very fast response.

2015-07-06, 19:50:04
Reply #5

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
yup, that is what I thought ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-07-06, 19:59:20
Reply #6

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
There are two issues in 3ds Max:

1, Bitmap paging enable/disable status is saved with file, so if you disable it, someone can still give you file where it is enabled.

2, If you disable it, it will still remain paged in memory until you save your scene, close it, and reopen it back. It won't take effect immediately.

It's not enabled by default but sometimes it can get enabled for strange reasons or when someone gives you this "infected" scene ;)

So it's very useful to keep it in mind :)