Author Topic: Corona Renderer 1.7 for 3ds Max Daily Build  (Read 56377 times)

2017-06-22, 17:31:03

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all!
A new Daily Build of Corona Renderer 1.7 for 3ds Max is out now, with over 40 improvements! Below you will find more information on some of the most significant new features to help you get started using them:

Full changelog available at:
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,15845.msg104095.html#msg104095

How to install daily builds:
https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000570015

IMPORTANT NOTE BEFORE YOU TEST:
Due to the significant changes in 1.7, scenes saved with 1.7 are NOT backwards compatible with 1.6.1 - if you save a scene using the 1.7 daily builds, you will not be able to open it with 1.6 or 1.6.1 installed.

What's New:

Hair and fur support
Ornatrix, Hair Farm and Native Hair&Fur are supported. A new Corona Hair Material has been added though this is still very much a work-in-progress, and this material does not currently work with the native 3ds Max Hair&Fur.

Some test renders by Luc Bégin (user Bigguns) are attached, you can see more test in the original thread at:
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,16581.0.html

Bump Converter
If you've ever run into some maps looking different when connected to the Bump slot of a material, (things like the Cellular and Marble maps are examples), this new Converter solves that and lets you use almost any map to generate Bump. It also has the ability to vary the strength of the bump, and to blur the map.

UVW Randomizer
Similar to the familiar MultiMap, the UVW Randomizer allows you to randomly affect UVW scale, rotation and offset based on material id, object id, per instance, etc.

MultiMap Blurring
You can now set blur amount for all maps plugged into the CoronaMultiMap at once instead of changing it for each map one by one.

UHD Cache and LUT asset tracking
This means that these files get packed when archiving a scene, they can be retargeted, and there is a warning on opening the scene if they are missing.

VFB Stats tooltips
Tooltips are now provided for each of the stats shown in the VFB Stats tab - if you're not familiar with what the stats show, these will tell you!

...and a lot of other improvements!
These include various speed improvements, fixes to the Corona Image Editor, fixed unnecessary restarts of IR when navigating in the Slate Material Editor and more - full details in the changelog.
« Last Edit: 2017-06-22, 17:43:11 by TomG »
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2017-06-22, 19:40:20
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Due to the significant changes in 1.7, scenes saved with 1.7 are NOT backwards compatible with 1.6.1 - if you save a scene using the 1.7 daily builds, you will not be able to open it with 1.6 or 1.6.1 installed.

Woah! I nearly made one big mistake. Thanks for warning :]

Great build BTW, i hope i will find more time to test it soon.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-06-22, 19:51:11
Reply #2

Monkeybrother

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Cool. Before I left work today I was swearing about there not being an easy way to randomize UV's quickly.

2017-06-22, 22:09:49
Reply #3

rambambulli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Uvw randomizer is great. Thanks guys!!

2017-06-23, 09:10:54
Reply #4

froebel20

• Active Users
    • View Profile
anytime soon something comparable like vray aerial perspective atmospheric fog coming? (i know it works with corona sun, but it doesnt with hdris)
would be awesome!

2017-06-23, 10:26:52
Reply #5

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
anytime soon something comparable like vray aerial perspective atmospheric fog coming? (i know it works with corona sun, but it doesnt with hdris)
would be awesome!

Well the V-Ray aerial perspective does not work with HDRI's either, afaik :)

2017-06-23, 10:50:41
Reply #6

Romas Noreika

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • romasnoreika
I just want to say big thank you for corona team/people for this amazing render engine :) Yesterday at home I installed vray 3.5 to try out what new. I must say after 10 min of testing new stuff - I said its a joke and turned it off. :D Goodbye vray.

At work we still use vray because the company is quite big and all the stuff here was made with vray from day one and some people minds are only on vray. Maybe there will be a day that we will switch to corona.

At home I always use corona now for freelancing and for my personal projects its amazing. And it is becoming more amazing every day. Because these guys are working so hard every day on it. :)

Thank you :)
« Last Edit: 2017-06-23, 10:54:51 by RomasNoreika »
RN

2017-06-23, 11:35:05
Reply #7

filippo.previtali

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,
I have tried to install the latest daily build but as soon as I drag a new map (multimap for instance).....3dmax crashes and I have notoced a very slow refresh on the material previews. I have rolled back to the 1.6 and everything works fine.....is it just me?

Thanks

F

2017-06-23, 12:21:23
Reply #8

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models

I wonder if it's possible to make that Corona on opening would simply reset render settings of scenes saved with incompatible build, instead of crashing max down? Would be less stressful experience IMHO.

P.S. yeah, it turned out that i made that stupid mistake :/

2017-06-23, 13:20:38
Reply #9

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I have tried to install the latest daily build but as soon as I drag a new map (multimap for instance).....3dmax crashes and I have notoced a very slow refresh on the material previews. I have rolled back to the 1.6 and everything works fine.....is it just me?
Have you tried the new build? (22.06) If it still crashes, a minidump is needed: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000524006-how-to-report-issues-

@Romullus - Ondra told me that inability to roll back is a 3dsmax issue :/
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-06-23, 13:50:07
Reply #10

filippo.previtali

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Maru,
I am going to try again and will send the dump file in case I get the same error.

F

2017-06-23, 13:54:19
Reply #11

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
@Romullus - Ondra told me that inability to roll back is a 3dsmax issue :/

Sure sure, as always, blame 3ds max for everything :] Luckily it's not a big issue, since merge solves everything.

2017-06-23, 14:17:03
Reply #12

filippo.previtali

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Awesome. I have installed the .22 and works super smooth! The uvw randomiser is fanatstic!

Thanks a lot!

F

2017-07-07, 01:09:16
Reply #13

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
love your work guys!  Best rendering engine ever!

Ive been keeping a close eye on the road map - would you care to share details of the following elements listed on there?  So curious to know

Material library - Any details on this? what materials will you be adding?
Corona camera - What features will this have?

2017-07-07, 11:20:32
Reply #14

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Material library - Any details on this? what materials will you be adding?
Corona camera - What features will this have?
Just a vague answer for now, more details will be unveiled later. ;)

Material library - most basic materials the user may need right after installing Corona Renderer - painted walls, metals, plastic, liquids, sss, and more. They will be just drag-and drop solution and very easy to tweak in case you need to update them for your needs.
Corona camera - probably same as physical/vray camera - one of the main reasons for adding it is to prevent confusion as to which of the available controls should be used when you have render settings, camera mod, and physical camera at your disposal.

Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us