Author Topic: Unreal Engine 4 for ArchViz - Thoughts?  (Read 292337 times)

2015-05-11, 20:34:33
Reply #135

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Found this project on UE4 forums. I like the atmosphere and the rain shader!!! The creator posted a playable demo. 60fps with vsync on my gtx 980!!! He made it with a gtx 580 that's probably why it's aliased and seems low res in the video. Much better when I play it on my pc.

« Last Edit: 2015-05-15, 01:07:41 by philippelamoureux »

2015-06-07, 21:35:36
Reply #136

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Here's latest Koola's scene. Simple but superb. He stated that all his walls don't have any diffuse texture and are white. Lighting is amazing.

Source : https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?58385-Koola-s-stuff&p=306095&viewfull=1#post306095

Also, London appartment by UE4arch.com is amazing imo.

2015-06-08, 07:57:59
Reply #137

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
Oh man, that London apartment looks insanely good! It is quite realistic :O
My 3d stock portfolio - http://3docean.net/user/tomislavn

2015-06-08, 11:34:14
Reply #138

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
God how I hate these 60fps videos. It makes everything look so artificially smooth, like in fast forward mode, or like a cheap soap opera. :) I believe there is a reason why filmmakers use 24fps standard. Now they even put this "intelligent frame creation" in TVs, bleh.

UE4 guys seem to use exaggerated bloom and dof too, but I guess it's very tempting to see this in real time. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-06-08, 12:47:05
Reply #139

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm seriously considering purchasing that UE4 London apartment if it includes a usable file ready to compile / edit. The video looks AMAZING.
Vray who?

2015-06-08, 13:41:22
Reply #140

Rimas

• Active Users
  • Please refer all complaints to a brick wall nearby
    • View Profile
God how I hate these 60fps videos. It makes everything look so artificially smooth, like in fast forward mode, or like a cheap soap opera. :) I believe there is a reason why filmmakers use 24fps standard. Now they even put this "intelligent frame creation" in TVs, bleh.

The 24 fps (and 29.976, etc) standard came to be due to audio tracks being recorded on the side of perforated filmstrip. The early days of film saw very random framerates as everyone was using whatever they wanted. Obviously this caused a problem with audio sync and speed so standards had to be put in place. American 30fps NTSC was also B/W TV while 29.976 (today's '30fps') came to be when color TV signals came out (needed to separate the frequencies for broadcast and that 1 increment was good enough).

It is by no means a standard of 'what looks right' so much as a necessity for audio and transmission back in the day. In today's digital world we can record and display whatever we want without sync problems and I would personally GLADLY watch 100-144fps+ videos if those were available (running a high refresh rate panel myself).
Remember - your eyes see a constant stream of light and in terms of frames - you could notice a single black frame at ~250fps or more (fighter pilots can identify an aircraft at 1/220th of a second without much problem as test showed!). You can't call a high framerate artificial as the higher - the more lifelike it will be.

One thing to consider - we've each had DECADES of 24-30fps content and we are used to it. Now 60 for some reason looks weird because of that to most people. The fact is - when I moved to a 105Hz display refresh rate (overclocked my laptop from 60Hz to 105Hz) - everything appeared so smooth! And after a while it became a normal thing. So normal that I can't do 60Hz - not enough frames! Talk about getting used to, eh..? :D

There's a LOT to consider in terms of framerates and motion blur and image persistence and how it all relates with resolution and blah blah blah - my post would go on forever. But I'm happy to discuss if anyone's interested :)
A morning of awkwardness is far better than a night of loneliness...

2015-06-08, 13:46:18
Reply #141

Rimas

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Another interesting thing - eye movement! A camera moves smoothly, however our eyes twitch muscles and jump around! Try looking as far sideways as you can to lock your eyes in place and don't move them. Now rotate your head left and right. You'll see that 'high fps' that you hate :D

2015-06-08, 14:58:39
Reply #142

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
"overclocked my laptop from 60Hz to 105Hz" what?? Overclocked display, from 60 to 105hz on a laptop? Didn't know this was even possible :D

2015-06-08, 15:18:11
Reply #143

Rimas

• Active Users
    • View Profile
"overclocked my laptop from 60Hz to 105Hz" what?? Overclocked display, from 60 to 105hz on a laptop? Didn't know this was even possible :D
Laptops are VERY good at this. My desktop screens for workstations (5 in total, 2 different brands, 3 different models) only went up to 75Hz tops, as do most screens (between 65-80Hz).
Laptop panels, however, can do crazy things. I can do 107Hz with ZERO artifacting or skipping whatsoever. Can do 120Hz if I didn't mind a slight pixel flickering at certain colors (like reds) lol. There is a guy who OC'd a cheap HP laptop's screen to 180Hz with no artifacts and even posted proof using TESTUFO website :D
Some korean desktop panels can do 60 to 120Hz with no sweat too.

The technicality behind this is that laptop parts are just plain BETTER. The capacitors are better, they resist heat (they have to) and current fluctuations more, etc. That's why we can push them so much. Desktop panels are backed by poor electronics, but that's because they don't work near CPUs/GPUs that emit crazy amounts of heat (had my two cards at 95degrees celsius when gaming once). You can push them to a degree too, but not as far and the capacitors will fail much faster than on a laptop.

It's an interesting topic :)
« Last Edit: 2015-06-08, 15:23:40 by Rimas »

2015-06-08, 15:31:01
Reply #144

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Thanks for the explanations Rimas, I didn't want to sound like an ignorant (though I definitely am one sometimes). :) You are probably right, I am used to lower framerates. Same goes with wide screens. Some time ago when I used a 4:3 monitor I would say I will never use a 16:9 display. Now I can't imagine different. Same with touch-screen only phones, I am currently getting used to first one. Ok, enough offtopic!

2015-06-15, 14:06:30
Reply #145

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Actually 60FPS is not why it looks uncanny :) Real camera footages look nice and smooth even with 60FPS, like here:
(be sure to switch to 720 or 1080p to get 60FPS playback.

But what's mostly missing in these UE4 viz videos is realistic motion blur with correct length. It's a subtle difference, but it's enough to provide uncanny appearance.

2015-06-15, 17:25:38
Reply #146

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Still looks like a soap opera to me. :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_interpolation#Soap_opera_effect
I didn't even know this is called "soap opera effect" and I always called it this. I can see there is a lot of articles about this on the Internet. But you are right, they say that people are simply used to ~24fps and that's why it's still a standard.

2015-06-28, 01:19:29
Reply #147

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
made with UE4 :

Koola's work again!
Source : http://www.ronenbekerman.com/unreal-engine-4-tastings-by-koola/
« Last Edit: 2015-06-30, 03:20:19 by philippelamoureux »

2015-06-30, 08:23:56
Reply #148

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Latest WIP work from Rafael Reis (the guy behind UE4ARCH.com) I think he is one of the most talented right now doing arch-viz in Unreal.
What's great about that scene? He doesn't use gimmicks like fake lights, reflectors, etc. It's a directional light and a skylight with fine tuning and it's able to beautifully light the interior and the exterior. Lightmass is quite capable once you learn how to tune it. According to him, current lighting build time is 10 hours!!!

2015-06-30, 12:44:43
Reply #149

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
He's good :- ) Let's not forget he was the one behind Tearte studio, wonder if he still does both ?

Anyone from here participating in Ronen's competition ?
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!