Author Topic: Image overlay (image cover) in VFB  (Read 48456 times)

2019-07-23, 15:25:15

MikhailSinyavin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi there!  Often you have to link 2D and 3D content. It usually takes some time, which is very expensive. Why not to do it right away in the Corona VFB? I created a small video to demonstrate this feature. So far I have not seen such a function in any renderer. I think it will be very useful to many people. Customize the composition, materials or colors, where you need to add new content, etc.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nxEOPIW3fbSpGQgFEjDAUAVL7-EG4rnE?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: 2019-07-23, 15:40:17 by MikhailSinyavin »

2019-07-23, 17:35:14
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I am not saying this would not be useful, but generally such stuff should be done in post production apps. If other users vote for this, we will consider it. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-07-23, 17:51:21
Reply #2

MikhailSinyavin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It can speedup time-consuming process of composition of your 3d-model with existing 2d-design, e.g. webpage or magazine cover, etc.

2019-07-23, 18:10:57
Reply #3

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well, it's quite similar to another much wanted VFB feature: Logo overlay.

So +1 from me :)

2019-07-23, 18:32:24
Reply #4

MikhailSinyavin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Another case. When you do an animation, sometimes it happens that you can accidentally shift a camera a little while doing some changes to the scene. You then will need to find a way to overlay shots with one another to restore the camera position, in order to combine previously rendered part of animation with new frames of updated scene.

2019-07-25, 02:18:48
Reply #5

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
Another case. When you do an animation, sometimes it happens that you can accidentally shift a camera a little while doing some changes to the scene. You then will need to find a way to overlay shots with one another to restore the camera position, in order to combine previously rendered part of animation with new frames of updated scene.

Diverting off topic, but the problem you have stated can be solved by a camera (or other types of data) publishing system. That doesn't take long to script using Maxscript, then you will always have protected data that you can re-import from. This took me about two days to make and has saved me countless times.

2019-07-25, 10:16:07
Reply #6

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
And what if you need to change logo later and all your renders saved with logo? this should be made in post in non destructive way. you can batch apply logo in any image software for ex xnview in couple click.

webpage, magazine making in photoshop, and logo for print needs in CMYK! for web sRGB you still need photo editor for color management so it useless request imho

nice video though)

2019-07-25, 11:14:49
Reply #7

MikhailSinyavin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The idea of this function was't to replace one software with another. This should speed up the process when you need to put three-dimensional content in a frame relative to two-dimensional content (which has already been made).

2019-07-25, 12:16:44
Reply #8

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1 I believe i mentioned this previously. The reason being that the only reason i use Photoshop alot of the time now is to add a logo or watermark given the control we have in the VFB.

2019-07-25, 13:14:07
Reply #9

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1 I believe i mentioned this previously. The reason being that the only reason i use Photoshop alot of the time now is to add a logo or watermark given the control we have in the VFB.
i this won't help to you? ))

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-create-a-watermark-for-a-rendering-in-3ds-Max.html

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/infooverlay

2019-07-25, 13:36:49
Reply #10

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/infooverlay

This has been my fav tool in pre Corona times. It does not work well together with Corona, needless to try out. And for any "how to" stuff: Those are either not usable with DOF (anything linked to the cam) or - if it's about scripting, like the scripted plugin above - it does not work with Corona VFB.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2019-07-25, 14:24:38
Reply #11

MikhailSinyavin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The plane in front of the camera is a solution and I have to use it. But, the plane in front of the camera has negative consequences. Atmospheric effects, depth of field, additional load on rendering, a waste of time in the end ..

2019-07-25, 15:12:39
Reply #12

jms.lwly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jms.lwly studio
Surely if this is something you do regularly, just make a Photoshop Action to do it? (then you can just point the action at a folder and it’ll add it to a set of images).

If you’re thinking of Corona as a photography-based tool (as I do), this would never be incorporated into a camera. At best, some can add a watermark via an app and wifi sync, but it still wouldn’t be in the camera.

Likewise, I can’t see any photographer wanting to stick a transparency w/ logo on the glass of their lens (the equivalent of adding a plane in front of the camera).

2019-07-25, 16:11:28
Reply #13

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
If you’re thinking of Corona as a photography-based tool (as I do), this would never be incorporated into a camera. At best, some can add a watermark via an app and wifi sync, but it still wouldn’t be in the camera.

Likewise, I can’t see any photographer wanting to stick a transparency w/ logo on the glass of their lens (the equivalent of adding a plane in front of the camera).

Yeah, right...
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-07-25, 17:03:28
Reply #14

jms.lwly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jms.lwly studio
Haha nice exception.

But you could do that with renderstamp... right?