Author Topic: Performance uplift from I7-13700k to AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 7995WX  (Read 615 times)

2024-02-28, 10:11:21

yuax

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi, Im currently on a I7-13700K. It took a long time for me to export any animations. I would like to know how much faster if I upgrade the CPU to AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 7995WX?

2024-02-28, 10:36:02
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Go to the Corona benchmark site and search for the CPU's of your interest. https://benchmark.chaos.com/corona/v10/scores?index=1&order=desc&by=rays&my-scores-only=false If you take median of 7995WX score and divide it by the median of 13700K, you would get about 4,5 That's how much faster the former is over the latter on average.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2024-02-28, 10:48:20
Reply #2

yuax

• Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for confirming my guess. I also saw the benchmark but not sure if I can just multiply by the score.

However, then it leads to my another question. Would it be possible for me to link up 4 units of I9-14900k as render nodes to match the speed of Threadripper PRO 7995WX?

Thanks again for the input!

2024-02-28, 15:21:01
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Kind of. There is extra overhead in having to send scene info to the nodes and get the rendering result back, and there is the question of what Corona Render Node licenses you would need to purchase (historical users have main workstation plus 3 render nodes, so that would leave a subscription for one more node, for example). And of course your router / switch would have to be up to the task of allowing the data to flow smoothly between 5 machines (WS, and 4 nodes).
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2024-02-29, 03:01:30
Reply #4

yuax

• Users
    • View Profile
Thanks romullus and TomG for the valuable input. So from what I gather is if using a threadripper pro 7995 WX, it will be more energy efficient and less node license required, but with a higher cost in hardware; whereas using 4 units of i9-14900k will also have similar performance with lower hardware cost but consume more energy and more node licenses required.

Please correct me if there is anything wrong with my understanding.

2024-02-29, 12:09:59
Reply #5

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Sounds like a good summary :) There's one other thing to consider - with 4 nodes, they can all be rendering while your workstation is left out of that, leaving it fully powered for work, IR, and other things. With a single machine, if you are rendering, then this will impact anything else you are working on at the same time.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us