Author Topic: Very noisy new ryzen build  (Read 945 times)

2024-01-10, 09:44:42

davetwo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've just completed (I hope!) my first PC build.

Its a Ryzen 7950X, built one a ASUS ProArt X670E, with Noctua NH-U12A cooler, plus 4 case fans (three at the front, one at the back) in a Fractal North case.

I set the fan curves to quiet in the bios, and also tuned and set them to AI cooling in the armory crate app.

It's silent when idle. But as soon as I use use IRR or viewport rendering the fans kick in quite high and very noisy. The CPU temp is straightaway 75-80ยบ.

Have I messed up my cooling somewhere? Or the fan setup? Or is it just a noisy build?
My co-workers are grumbling a bit :( as my previous PC was always almost silent.

Hopefully someone can give me some pointers. Thanks in advance.

2024-01-10, 11:26:34
Reply #1

clemens_at

• Active Users
    • View Profile
you could tweak the fan curves manually, 75-80 is not very high for the 7950x.
I personally would even turn on AMD's eco mode (105W) - you loose a little bit of performance but have a much cooler and quieter cpu.

2024-01-10, 11:48:58
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Where do you search for this eco mode? In the BIOS, or in the Ryzen master? I have 5950X and i'm not super happy to hear fans ramping up on the load. It's not very bad, the fans are only blasting in full speed when there's sudden spike in load on one or two cores, which doesn't happen too often in my workflow, especially in winter time when the ambient temp is relatively low, but i think it wouldn't hurt to try that eco mode and if performance penalty is not very noticeable it might be worth tradeoff.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2024-01-10, 13:08:34
Reply #3

davetwo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In the Armory Crate dashboard I've activated Power Saving and that does help a bit actually. Good idea!
Its still certainly louder than the old machine - but bearable....

2024-01-10, 13:39:03
Reply #4

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I know that any Noctua cooler is not felt noisy even under full load. If it is really noisy (you can try recording a video, if possible, preferably with open setup, hold the microphone as close as possible to the case, and also do mouse clicks for reference), then probably there are mechanical flows. Maybe the fan is not well mounted? Maybe it is not quite the Noctua fan(s) but the case fans which kick in based on CPU temperature? For my last build, I have noticed that the case fans were as noisy as the pump, and have set up a custom profile for all of them, in the BIOS, with Asus's "FanControl" something. And that IS the recommended place to set up the fan curves.

Given that you are sure of the underclocking and stability, you can even set it to not be used with 100 load even on high temps.
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2024-01-10, 15:01:26
Reply #5

clemens_at

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Where do you search for this eco mode? In the BIOS, or in the Ryzen master? I have 5950X and i'm not super happy to hear fans ramping up on the load. It's not very bad, the fans are only blasting in full speed when there's sudden spike in load on one or two cores, which doesn't happen too often in my workflow, especially in winter time when the ambient temp is relatively low, but i think it wouldn't hurt to try that eco mode and if performance penalty is not very noticeable it might be worth tradeoff.

we have an 5950x here too and see quite a dropoff with ECO-mode enabled, so don't do that, instead just try changing the fan curves (those are quite agressive) - our system is completely silent also under full load.
Also I recommend you to do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfkrp25dpQ0
we had about a 8-10% performance gain with negligable change in temperature/noise.

2024-01-10, 15:07:36
Reply #6

clemens_at

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In the Armory Crate dashboard I've activated Power Saving and that does help a bit actually. Good idea!
Its still certainly louder than the old machine - but bearable....

Armory Crate is Asus Software I have no experience with. I also don't think Power Saving = Eco Mode
Try to change the setting in the bios, you should have MUCH lower temperatures then.

2024-01-11, 16:19:12
Reply #7

mraw

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am too experiencing a new loud ryzen. I cool the Ryzen 9 7950X with a Noctua Dh-15 Cooler in a Fractal define 7 case. I am somewhat disappointed. You hear the machine even idle(I have to check the case-fans, too). Rendering it gets louder, but what is really annoying with short spikes of 'full throttle'.

I am thinking of switching to water cooling. Never had such a experience with Noctua.