Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 520375 times)

2020-11-30, 22:20:13
Reply #1215

skiny75

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi All,
unfortunately, the problem was not solved. After 1 day and half same problem with the workstation.
I make a summery.
I use max 2021 and Corona 6.1. After computing the GI, Start rendering and after 1 second black screen and restart.
Many times, after the restart, I need to validate again my Corona licence (I do with login online).

I have a 3990x - Noctua NH-U14S - Gigabyte TRX40 Designare.  128 Corsair Vengeance LPX  (4x32) - Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1300.
I have the RTX 3080.  I installed the last version of the Nvidia Studio driver.

Temperature of the CPU around 60.  I did memory check, was ok.

Any suggestions?  Thanks a lot in advance.

2020-12-01, 08:02:41
Reply #1216

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
You ran Memcheck at the memory configuration the render starts? With XMP profile or without?

Run rendering without XMP (XMP disabled), at default clocks for memory (2133/2400/2667 depending on module). Does it still crash?

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-12-01, 15:32:33
Reply #1217

skiny75

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I made the check memory after the crash.
The XMP profile is disabled.
I check in the Bios.  I attached the view of the Bios.
How can I   "at default clocks for memory (2133/2400/2667 depending on module" , Sorry but I did not understand.  Do I need to change the frequency of the memory?
If yes, How to do it ? 

This is the result of the Nirsoft program to check the reason of the crash.

Dump File         : 120120-15765-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 01/12/2020 12:56:52
Bug Check String  : MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Bug Check Code    : 0x0000001a
Parameter 1       : 00000000`00041792
Parameter 2       : fffff23f`fc604400
Parameter 3       : 00000000`00240000
Parameter 4       : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver  : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+3f5210
File Description  :
Product Name      :
Company           :
File Version      :
Processor         : x64
Crash Address     : ntoskrnl.exe+3f5210
Stack Address 1   :
Stack Address 2   :
Stack Address 3   :
Computer Name     :
Full Path         : C:\Windows\Minidump\120120-15765-01.dmp
Processors Count  : 128
Major Version     : 15
Minor Version     : 19041
Dump File Size    : 6.510.940
Dump File Time    : 01/12/2020 13:00:16
==================================================

Thanks

2020-12-01, 17:40:24
Reply #1218

skiny75

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Short Update.  The workstation does not switch ON anymore.
I contact the IT to come and fix it  ;-(   

2020-12-02, 01:56:27
Reply #1219

lolec

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@juraj  did you order an Icegiant ProSiphon yet ? Ordered one to test as a potential upgrade for our TR systems. Looks super impressive. Seems like they have a large backlog so mine won't come for another 2 weeks or so, if you ordered one too, make sure to report results :)!

2020-12-02, 10:12:50
Reply #1220

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
No I didn't, but I still might :- ).

Originally I wasn't impressed at all, in second KitGuru review, when they normalized noise to 40dB, there was only 2C improvement compared to Noctua. It originally simply had 3000 rpm ultra high-pressure industrial fans. Everything works with those. Looks like they now have regular Arctic P series just off-brand. I only watched the Linus review, but he didn't have 3990X to test it with.

When Linus compares it on small-die i9 chip, it really shows it doesn't have better thermal transfer or dissipation at all, it's even defeated D15 tower. So all the benefits on Threadrippers is due to die coverage, something that is issue in 3960/3970X (4 dies in middle, spread into 280W) but not at all for 3990X (8 dies across chips, very comfortable dissipation with U14S, but nothing else on market).

I would love to see 3990X test, at noise normalized testing. My bets it would loose, or tie.

But I would probably order it for fun as well. Don't see why they cheapened and made it out of aluminium though, not even the base-plate is copper.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2020-12-02, 10:16:56
Reply #1221

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Skiny75:

At this stage, the only testing to be done, is take all memory out, and only place single (one piece) module in.
Of course, into correct position, look into manual. 1/2/4/8 modules need to be populated into their respective A1/A2/etc.. positions, you cannot choose randomly.

It's very easy to have faulty module, happened to me just this summer. Out of 8 pieces (two 4-kits), one was faulty. Took me one hour of swapping each one in and back to find out which ;- ).

Other things it can be is, faulty motherboard (decently big chance) or faulty CPU (veeery small chance, usually doesn't happen).

2020-12-04, 11:44:39
Reply #1222

skiny75

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Juraj,

Yesterday morning with the IT guy, we : 
-Check the Memory and it swap 2 of the pair
- GPU place in different PCi lane x16, Stress software test. He said that the RTX 3080 has some problem, but this looks correct.
- Connection from Power supply to GPU 2 times 8 pin directly
- XMP disabled. Default settings
- CPU temperature 61c during rendering time.

After that, It was working-rendering perfectly.... in the evening it crashed 2 times. 1 in interactive and 1 in rendering normal.  Black screen and restart like last time.
Another problem came out. When I switch off Windows 10, the pc still on...

I am a bit frustrated ;-(  THanks for any suggestions.

2020-12-09, 10:36:34
Reply #1223

hldemi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Juraj,

- GPU place in different PCi lane x16, Stress software test. He said that the RTX 3080 has some problem, but this looks correct.

After that, It was working-rendering perfectly.... in the evening it crashed 2 times. 1 in interactive and 1 in rendering normal.  Black screen and restart like last time.

Try this. Lower the speed of all cores by 10% and see if it still crashes. Your temperatures might be fine but power draw might keep restarting your PC. By lowering cores speed your power draw will diminish so you can see if this might cause restarts. I had problem with TR 3960x that kept restarting my pc as soon as I hit render in Corona. I lowered in ryzen master core speed from 4,0 to 3,88 and it never crashed again.
« Last Edit: 2020-12-09, 13:52:50 by hldemi »

2020-12-11, 23:22:34
Reply #1224

hldemi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Juraj,

Also Try this. You have on your mobo 8+8pin CPU power connector. If you plugged both to your power supply, unplug the left one out. You only need one to be plugged in order to power your PC. Second might cause power issues in this case. Just try it.

2020-12-12, 09:25:48
Reply #1225

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
That's not really true. A single 8-pin CPU connector has effective 280W rating. You should not be running Threadripper like that.

2020-12-14, 10:25:46
Reply #1226

hldemi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That's not really true. A single 8-pin CPU connector has effective 280W rating. You should not be running Threadripper like that.

It does not cost much to try. Its just testing and experimenting now. Desperate measures also.

My problem with PC restarting after starting render ended when I unplugged 1 8pin connector and swapped all memory modules one by one. So one of those solved the problem.

2020-12-14, 11:10:29
Reply #1227

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Well there are lot of solutions you will stumble upon randomly (and issues often solve themselves seemingly) so I would be careful to not misattribute the cause :- ). You might have worn your socks reversed on that day too.

2020-12-14, 11:18:16
Reply #1228

hldemi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well there are lot of solutions you will stumble upon randomly (and issues often solve themselves seemingly) so I would be careful to not misattribute the cause :- ). You might have worn your socks reversed on that day too.

Well guy already tried 20 different things. Whats the harm in misattributing the cause if the problem is solved along the way. Unplug the 8 pin, test, if it does not work plug it again. Its 3 minutes work. Its not gonna burn the cpu. Though I think He solved the problem since He is not here for a long time hehe.

2020-12-16, 15:17:24
Reply #1229

skiny75

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Guys, 
1 week ago I sent back the workstation and now they are testing every component or at least I hope they are doing it.
In my configuration I had only 1 fan Noctua 14 without the d15.  Anyway the CPU was max around 70c
Do you think that can also a be a problem?