Author Topic: Vertex connection and merging added!  (Read 38057 times)

2012-12-03, 02:07:38
Reply #30

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
FYI VCM with "use merging" off equal regular bidir

I see, you noticed those splotches I am talking about ?

Also edges get over exposed as soon as I used an environmental light, Coronasky or Hdri

Actually both Bdir and VCM are doing great with direct lights but it gets very noisy and slow if I use environment lightning.

grab the newest build, there were some bugs in older ones (including incorrect environment weighting). If the problem persists, post screenshots. Also you usually need to tweak the search radius parameter to get good results (there is tradeoff between blurring and fireflies)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2012-12-03, 04:42:31
Reply #31

Chakib

• Active Users
  • Corona Omnomnomer !
    • View Profile

Also edges get over exposed as soon as I used an environmental light, Coronasky or Hdri

Actually both Bdir and VCM are doing great with direct lights but it gets very noisy and slow if I use environment lightning.

grab the newest build, there were some bugs in older ones (including incorrect environment weighting). If the problem persists, post screenshots. Also you usually need to tweak the search radius parameter to get good results (there is tradeoff between blurring and fireflies)

does it include the legacy build ?

2012-12-03, 07:29:54
Reply #32

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
*(there is tradeoff between blurring and fireflies) -> But both are resolved and gone in time, right? Anyway, would also like to test in legacy build if you find time...

2012-12-03, 12:02:07
Reply #33

Dom74

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Tested yesterday, it's working very well with glass/refractions/caustics, but antialiasing seems to be less effective than standard progressive path tracing.

2012-12-04, 00:18:55
Reply #34

Sam75

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I use the latest builds

It's easy to replicate, you can use your cornell box scene, turn off direct lights and turn on environment light, you should see those bright edges

It can help you to identify the problem: it happens only with geometry without thickness, if I add a shell modifier to my cornell box, the problem is gone, but there seems to be a relation between the thickness amount and the VCM lookup radius.

2012-12-04, 01:39:00
Reply #35

Sam75

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Some screens about noise, first one is PT (only PT no HDcache) second is VCM.

2012-12-04, 01:49:26
Reply #36

relox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi looks like vcm need more time to render less noise or its more for night lighting, how do i download the alpha version with vcm???? or sam you are a tester for that version that will be released???? thanks i aprecciate any answer.

2012-12-04, 02:03:26
Reply #37

Chakib

• Active Users
  • Corona Omnomnomer !
    • View Profile

too much noise...

There is no glass and metal in your scene, can you add some ?

2012-12-04, 09:18:51
Reply #38

tomasd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If the scene contains no caustics (or even no glass/mirror), then VCM is overkill. It will do lot of heavy lifting to solve problems that are simply not there.
For examples of scenes it alone can handle have a look http://www.smallvcm.com/ (the complicated scenes from paper).
I would look at it as method that opens new artistic opportunities, rather than speeding up the current ways of doing stuff. (At least, that was the hope when we came up with the method)

I am afraid there is no silver bullet (yet).
I got some ideas for time-adaptive algorithm, that is pretty much unpublishable, but could make production guys happy.
(Will bother Keymaster with it once his deadlines are gone).

In the meantime, I will have to re-check with him today, but I am pretty sure there is still a bug in his implementation of environment lights. These things are damn hard to catch, especially since the example implementation uses different way of envrionment light (and I am quite sure still has bugs of its own).

2012-12-04, 09:31:34
Reply #39

Chakib

• Active Users
  • Corona Omnomnomer !
    • View Profile
If the scene contains no caustics (or even no glass/mirror), then VCM is overkill. It will do lot of heavy lifting to solve problems that are simply not there.
For examples of scenes it alone can handle have a look http://www.smallvcm.com/ (the complicated scenes from paper).
I would look at it as method that opens new artistic opportunities, rather than speeding up the current ways of doing stuff. (At least, that was the hope when we came up with the method)

I am afraid there is no silver bullet (yet).
I got some ideas for time-adaptive algorithm, that is pretty much unpublishable, but could make production guys happy.
(Will bother Keymaster with it once his deadlines are gone).

In the meantime, I will have to re-check with him today, but I am pretty sure there is still a bug in his implementation of environment lights. These things are damn hard to catch, especially since the example implementation uses different way of envrionment light (and I am quite sure still has bugs of its own).

Good luck guys your doing great job

2012-12-04, 20:30:06
Reply #40

Sam75

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi looks like vcm need more time to render less noise or its more for night lighting, how do i download the alpha version with vcm???? or sam you are a tester for that version that will be released???? thanks i aprecciate any answer.

For latest builds you need to see that with Keymaster.

2012-12-04, 20:32:11
Reply #41

Sam75

• Active Users
    • View Profile

too much noise...

There is no glass and metal in your scene, can you add some ?

Lot of reflective materials.

2012-12-06, 18:13:46
Reply #42

pionier

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio
should I email to Keymaster in order to get that build?
Peter Kolus, Senior 3D artist:
www.peterkolus.com

2012-12-13, 03:36:17
Reply #43

Sam75

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Watching CPU usage I ve noticed that VCM is not fully multithreaded, do you think it will be able to make a better usage of CPU in the future ?

2012-12-13, 10:50:56
Reply #44

pionier

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio
should I email to Keymaster in order to get that build?

thanks to answer for my question ; )
Peter Kolus, Senior 3D artist:
www.peterkolus.com