Author Topic: Denoisers - Corona vs. Intel  (Read 4682 times)

2019-06-19, 07:49:59

3dkobi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So, the new V4 is just great :)
About the new intel denoiser and the corona denoiser - Which is better for what purpose ? Or is it different for each scene ?

Kobi

2019-06-19, 07:56:49
Reply #1

Gruender

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

the Intel Denoiser is a combination of speed and quality, but it isn't as high quality as the corona denoiser.

Cheers

2019-06-19, 09:13:14
Reply #2

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Hi,

the Intel Denoiser is a combination of speed and quality, but it isn't as high quality as the corona denoiser.

Cheers

Pretty much this :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2019-06-19, 12:07:33
Reply #3

3dkobi

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2019-06-19, 14:10:30
Reply #4

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey 3dkobi

Except that the native Corona denoiser does less denoising on bump maps and round edges (which are a bump map).

So thanks God, they integrated the AI denoiser. Otherwise I would honestly have dumped Corona!

In my projects I could never gain any benefit from that "selective" denoising... in contrary, I find it horrible, since your renders fall apart in noisy and less noisy areas.
And who wants noise that hardly cleans up on rounded edges?
I have discussed this effect with the guys at Corona.

In my opinion, selective denoising is useless and makes quick test renders literally impossible.

Regarding the "higher" quality of the native denoiser, I haven´t really experienced any difference or lower quality of the AI-denoiser.

The AI-denoiser is my new standard.
The other one could be killed from the code... in my humble opinion.
« Last Edit: 2019-06-19, 14:17:37 by Designerman77 »

2019-06-19, 16:41:40
Reply #5

3dkobi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the input on this issue

2019-06-19, 16:53:49
Reply #6

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Other notes:

- AI denoisers "hallucinate" in details where there are none, so sometimes they get it wrong. This is especially true with things like say leaves on a tree, grass blades in a field, and so on (the more dense and "random" that part of the image, the more likely an AI denoiser is to change it in some way)

- The Intel denoiser may have problems with black or near-black images, where it actually brings the lighting level up. This may be most noticeable in LightMix for instance, and can add a kind of a "glow" to things where it shouldn't be (Intel is aware and working on this, afaik)

- Neither AI denoiser can work with the new High Quality Image Filtering; this is because they have been trained on the other type of filtering on what noise to "expect" in a rendered image. Intel will be/are working with us on retraining it to work with that kind of filtering.

- Due to the "hallucination" process, the results may change from frame to frame, which could be a problem in animations.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-06-23, 18:07:19
Reply #7

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
TomG, thanks a lot. Good to know about the inconcistency between frames in the AI denoiser.

Any chance the „more noise rounded edges & bump maps“ will finally disappear from the native Corona denoiser?
As mentioned endless times... :) in my eyes this feature makes it hard to use at all.
« Last Edit: 2019-06-23, 22:24:52 by Designerman77 »

2019-06-24, 10:04:16
Reply #8

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Don't know - the selectively less denoising on areas with bump mapping was added a version or 2 ago, and there is an ongoing discussion about whether it should be kept, reverted, or some other means introduced (like a checkbox to choose, or a separate blending amount for bump map denoised areas and the rest of the image, etc.) So, it is still logged and being looked into here, but no decision yet on what will happen (if anything).
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us