Author Topic: Floor plan  (Read 7992 times)

2016-10-12, 15:12:10

CarloBox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • carloboxstudio
Hi, everyone,
I am using corona for more than a year and I am very happy with this render flexibility, especially with 1.5 version , but I can't still create a floor plan the way I want. I want to make the view where the ambient light pass only through the ceiling and sunlight pass only through the windows. It means that the ceiling is transparent, but the sunlight does not pass through the ceiling, only through the window. Like that:

With VRay I can easily solve this problem by putting ceiling mesh to exclude list of ambient light (Illumination and shadow casting). And Corona does not have this. Maybe there is a solution in corona too? Thank you!
« Last Edit: 2016-10-12, 15:17:27 by CarloBox »

2016-10-12, 17:26:34
Reply #1

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
Can't you just set the ceiling to be non-renderable? That would maintain your light set-up.

2016-10-12, 17:29:38
Reply #2

CarloBox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • carloboxstudio
Hi, steyin, Yes I can set the ceiling to be non-renderable, but sun source will iliuminate through the ceiling too.

After long experimenting time I manage to make half baked solution - make the ceiling to illuminate white source of light.

Result:

But I still want to make studio ambient illumination + sun through windows. I like this depth illusion effect caused by the studio HDRI:

Sure, I can increase the wall height to avoid sun illumination through ceiling. But I still willing to solve this issue by trick the rendering like Vray

« Last Edit: 2016-10-13, 10:01:26 by CarloBox »

2016-10-12, 17:51:57
Reply #3

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. If I understand your writings correct the sun is passing through your ceiling because it's transparent. Make it solid, uncheck visible to camera (object properties) and things should work as expected. If needed find a way to add more ambient light (as you already did).

AFAIK you can't use the mentioned Vray-trick in Corona. So you have to find another way.

Good luck

2016-10-12, 19:04:12
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
After long experimenting time I manage to make half baked solution - make the ceiling to illuminate white source of light.

Interesting hack. Did you tried to plug HDR map or sky from enviroment to ceiling materials illumination slot? Might be interesting to see what happens. Just make sure to match mapping correctly.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-10-13, 10:48:59
Reply #5

CarloBox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • carloboxstudio
Hi, PROH, thank you for your suggestion, but it's more complicated. I want to passing through ceiling only ambient HDRI light and block sunlight. In your suggested case interior will illuminate by both light sources. Basically, I can't exclude specifically one object from selected light source to not create a shadow. I can exclude illumination in light source's exclude/include list, but not shadow casting.

Hi, romullus, hack was not succeed :) I tried standard omni lights, coronarayswitchmtl, coronalightmlt, even tried your suggestion to use corona light as environment HDRI portal. But not succeed, I got in best case only random light spots.

Funny enough I have manage my goal by simply workaround - remove ceiling, put blind wall near apartment to block only sunlight.

But still It would be great to have an option to disable specific object's shadow casting in particular light source.

2016-10-13, 11:16:05
Reply #6

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Yeah, but that way you add some directionality in your ambient light. Better than nothing, but still...

I don't have much time to do tests now, but, i might give a try to this problem when i'll have some free time.

2016-10-13, 16:43:58
Reply #7

CarloBox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • carloboxstudio
Romullus, yes, right now I have too much strong shadow from left side, but it's OK. Do not bother with that issue, I see it's rock solid render, you can't trick this render to do unexpected nonphysical rules. At least in this case.
« Last Edit: 2016-10-13, 17:46:06 by CarloBox »

2016-10-17, 11:44:44
Reply #8

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just wondering if im getting this. So if i wanted to do an overview render of a building, i cant just set the ceiling to non-renderable and have it still cast shadows as if it was still there?

2016-10-17, 12:23:04
Reply #9

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
No, if you make it non renderable via object properties, it won't render at all. If you want ceiling to be invisible to camera, but still cast shadows, you have to assign rayswitch material to it and plug ceiling material to all its slots but direct.

2016-10-17, 12:54:23
Reply #10

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thats very useful to know thank you!

2016-10-17, 13:11:47
Reply #11

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
you have to assign rayswitch material to it and plug ceiling material to all its slots but direct.

This is oldschool :) When using Corona 1.5 you don´t have to do this any more, it´s done internally when using object properties / rendering control.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2016-10-17, 14:16:13
Reply #12

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Well., what do you know, i'm an oldschool man :] So it's enough to uncheck visible to camera to achieve what jpjapers want? Haven't follow Corona development as close as i'd like lately.

2016-10-17, 15:22:15
Reply #13

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
So it's enough to uncheck visible to camera to achieve what jpjapers want?

Yes. At least for what he wants in reply #8. I don´t know of the rest ;)

Well., what do you know, i'm an oldschool man :]

Good boy :)

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2016-10-19, 17:20:08
Reply #14

Edvinas

• Active Users
  • CGI artist with architectural background
    • View Profile
    • Bloorise
Well., what do you know, i'm an oldschool man :] So it's enough to uncheck visible to camera to achieve what jpjapers want? Haven't follow Corona development as close as i'd like lately.
Unchecking "visbile to camera" will not achieve what jpjapers want. It will render like with ceilings, but it won't be visible. And this has worked since corona alpha version.

Jpjapers, if I am correct, wants not only this, but also ambient light passing throw invisible ceiling. Well, I haven't tried, but there must be a trick with rayswich.

Anyway, invisible ceiling and few corona lamps always work for me.
® Bloorise
Behance: https://behance.com/bloorise