Author Topic: CoronaPattern playground!  (Read 42365 times)

2022-08-01, 17:13:27
Reply #45

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
just tested one more time both in V-ray and Corona, in V-ray we can randomize textures of the pattern object by using MultiSubTex and it doesn't work for me with CoronaMultiMap in Corona for some reason, fix it please

and by the way V-ray has random rotation parameter, very handy)

2022-08-01, 17:17:33
Reply #46

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
just tested one more time both in V-ray and Corona, in V-ray we can randomize textures of the pattern object by using MultiSubTex and it doesn't work for me with CoronaMultiMap in Corona for some reason, fix it please
Can you explain some more how exactly this is working? Could you share a material editor screenshot + the result you are getting in V-Ray?

This is reported. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-08-01, 17:18:35
Reply #47

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile

You can randomise textures with the corona pattern. Try ticking the use pattern material check box and apply your mat to the node object. See if that helps

2022-08-01, 18:57:41
Reply #48

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models

Curious to see how that works. Does the pattern leaves the gaps between tiles when they rotate, or does it automatically adjust its cropping box for each tile? Would you mind to show some example?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-08-01, 19:14:04
Reply #49

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Oh, now i got it, you need to change the ID Mode to "Pattern object". My bad, but maybe it's better to make it the default?

Can you explain some more how exactly this is working? Could you share a material editor screenshot + the result you are getting in V-Ray?
anyways I've already recorded the video, so I'll attach it :D

Curious to see how that works. Does the pattern leaves the gaps between tiles when they rotate, or does it automatically adjust its cropping box for each tile? Would you mind to show some example?
I can’t make a full-fledged example with a working case right now, I just recorded a short video, yes, it just cuts out everything that does not fit and leaves gaps

2022-08-01, 22:36:34
Reply #50

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
And since I’ve already been distracted from work, I’ll illustrate with the help of a video (check the attachments) my request for overlapping and scaling, I still don’t understand whether this is possible to do or the technology itself will not allow.

2022-08-02, 11:46:27
Reply #51

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I can’t make a full-fledged example with a working case right now, I just recorded a short video, yes, it just cuts out everything that does not fit and leaves gaps

Thanks for the video, but it does make me question about usefulness of such feature. On the other hand i like your idea about scaling and overlapping, especially if it could be randomized.

2022-08-02, 18:02:32
Reply #52

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the video, but it does make me question about usefulness of such feature. On the other hand i like your idea about scaling and overlapping, especially if it could be randomized.

Basically, here is usefulness, without random rotation on the left / with random rotation on the right

2022-08-02, 20:19:18
Reply #53

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
But that's not how the pattern would look, right? In previous example you shown that the pattern would produce gaps when tiles are rotated, hence my question about its usefulness. On the other hand, why would you want use the pattern for things like grass when the scatter is clearly superior at such tasks?

2022-08-02, 21:31:19
Reply #54

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
But that's not how the pattern would look, right? In previous example you shown that the pattern would produce gaps when tiles are rotated, hence my question about its usefulness. On the other hand, why would you want use the pattern for things like grass when the scatter is clearly superior at such tasks?
This is how it will look like in this case, i made a small grass sample for the pattern by scattering small samples of grass inside a rectangular shape (you can see it on the right) and applied it via geopattern in V-ray. If you scatter not just boxes, then the gaps do not seem to be noticeable during rotation.

There are quite a lot of applications like this, i would use it for example on complex surfaces to create fine moss on rocks, for gravel, mulch, stabilized grass for say visualization of dioramas, these are just what came to my mind right now. Controlling the distribution by changing the UV coordinates is generally quite convenient, all I need right now is overlapping.

PS and I also just thought that it would be pretty handy if CoronaPatternMod wil take into account the CoronaDisplacementMod lying under it and applied the patterns to the already deformed mesh, anyway, because both of these effects are render-time only

2022-08-02, 21:37:18
Reply #55

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Oh, then i must have misinterpreted your previous example. In that case rotation makes sense indeed.

2022-08-03, 09:05:17
Reply #56

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
We will add random rotation, no problem there.
We will go over the rest of the requests after SIGGRAPH and vacation season is over, at the end of the month.
We are doing clouds until then ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2022-08-03, 12:46:45
Reply #57

Ink Visual

• Active Users
    • View Profile
We are doing clouds until then ;)

Yesss! Can't wait for that!

2022-08-03, 14:58:50
Reply #58

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
This may have been mentioned before but we're finding that IR needs to be manually restarted all the time when making changes to materials used by coronapatternmod e.g. whatever's assigned to the pattern object or the underlying object. the changes don't visually update at all/properly until IR is restarted.

also would it be possible to somehow separate the current "tiling" so that the pattern object scale can remain fixed? I.e. have an object of a very specific size say 5cm cubed, and tile it how you want without the object itself shrinking etc.

it's SUPER SUPER impressive and useful by the way guys!!
« Last Edit: 2022-08-03, 15:12:46 by alexyork »
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2022-08-03, 16:14:33
Reply #59

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This may have been mentioned before but we're finding that IR needs to be manually restarted all the time when making changes to materials used by coronapatternmod e.g. whatever's assigned to the pattern object or the underlying object. the changes don't visually update at all/properly until IR is restarted.
by the way, yes, it’s very annoying)

Besides, I mentioned a little earlier, but no one answered, in VFB it seems that the Refresh button does not work, it just does nothing when you click on it, maybe you should remove it  and make vfb a little more compact in width?)