Author Topic: Strange DR behavior  (Read 1817 times)

2022-06-14, 01:37:39

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
Hi to all!

I am having a strange problem with DR which I've noticed 2 days ago at my home studio.
I have 2 PCs, my main is an AMD Ryzen 5950X while the secondary a 3950X.

I've installed the latest corona-9-3dsmax-daily-2022-06-09.exe on both machines.

So this is what is happening:

If I send the DR job via Backburner to the 3950X and I use my main PC 5950X as a server, while the DR process gives me no errors, I am noticing the following issues:

- Rays/s total is around 5.300.000 with both machines while the 3950X alone is around 3.500.000.
- Estimated time doesn't change and remains at 6hrs approx.
- Remained timing for the image stays the same!!! Doesn't matter if the 5950X contributes or not in the DR render process.
- Under Passes total I see the total number of calculated passes and in brackets () the DR server's ones submitted normally.
- I get no errors to any place as DR seems to work normally but for me it doesn't.

If now I do the opposite, I use the 5950X as the main PC and the 3950X as the server, the DR process behaves as it should:

- Rays/s total is now at 7.600.000 (before was 5.300.000)
- Estimated remaining time is 3hrs (before 6hrs).
- Under passes I see the same behaviour (the 3950X is a bit slower).

So basically, when the master is the 3950X the DR performance is almost ZERO even if the passes seem to be calculated correctly by the fastest machine which works as a server.
If the master machine is the 5950X, DR works perfectly by summing the results of both machines correctly.

I don't know if the problem is clear to you and if I've described it correctly but I see a sort of degradation and it seems that something is blocking realistically the DR process if the master machine is one PC and not the other...

Last thing to mention, I work under Win 11 Insider Beta Release for both PCs.

Thanks in advance!

Dionysios -

2022-06-14, 09:09:02
Reply #1

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hey,

This is super strange, what is the CPU usage of the machines when this is happening?

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2022-06-14, 10:44:19
Reply #2

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
Hey,

This is super strange, what is the CPU usage of the machines when this is happening?

Rowan

Both of them 100% full CPU throttle!

How can I eventually check if the DR Server (5950X) is sending successfully the calculated portions to the Master?

or

Where can I check if the Master machine has received the rendering portions from the Slave?

Dionysios -

2022-06-16, 13:03:46
Reply #3

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey,

You can check the box in the screenshot and it should save the EXRs which are sent back to the master.

Let me know how it goes.

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2022-06-16, 20:48:37
Reply #4

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
Hey,

You can check the box in the screenshot and it should save the EXRs which are sent back to the master.

Let me know how it goes.

Rowan

Yeah, I saw this but never used it.
Tonight I am finishing a production so I'll try right away tomorrow evening and I'll let you know.

Thanks for getting back as always.

Dionysios -

2022-06-17, 22:47:51
Reply #5

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
Hi Rowan...

I finally found the time to test again and guess what? Now the performance is correct! Can I write WTF???  -.-
I don't understand, I've tried the other day a lot of times till I've decided to invert the roles for my machines in DR, I had 15 high res images in calculation and I needed the maximum performance. The renders are done now and trying again as I firstly did (the 3950X as master), no issues!

I have no clues and I am sorry...

2022-06-21, 09:29:01
Reply #6

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

No worries at all, I'm glad it is somehow resolved.

Let me know if the issue pops up again.

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2022-06-21, 09:57:42
Reply #7

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
Hi,

No worries at all, I'm glad it is somehow resolved.

Let me know if the issue pops up again.

Rowan

Thank you Rowan.

Take care!