Author Topic: render passes  (Read 6733 times)

2017-04-26, 16:16:35

Pixelatedvertex

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've been missing object and material ID passes for post-production, as well as GI, Direct Light, Reflection and Refraction passes for render settings diagnostics. From what I understand, this is not a limitation of the exporter, but rather a limitation of the standalone version of Corona. Would it be possible to include these features in the next release? Is a new standalone release planned for the foreseeable future?

Thanks in advance.

2017-07-11, 18:27:56
Reply #1

Pixelatedvertex

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'll just try bumping this post up, since the absence of ID Masks is pretty much all that keeps corona for Blender from becoming pretty close to if not completely production ready in my opinion.
Is a new standalone with ID Masking planned and could we get at least a very rough time frame, if it is?

*keeping my fingers crossed*

2017-07-11, 22:31:51
Reply #2

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Look in Properties Editor > Render Layer Tab > Corona Render Passes
There you can check and set passes.
Direct, Indirect / Diffuse, Refraction, Reflection, Trans... are under Components & Raw Components
IDs are under ID (altho it seems Material ID doesn't work? All materials are same?)
... and so on, as is available in SA.

Note:
- Set Corona Render File format: EXR
- Render using 'Corona wx Framebuffer'
- Save passes from the Corona's VFB (as are not imported back into Blender)

eg

;) Will it do?

2017-07-11, 22:40:36
Reply #3

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Blender exporter for Corona
@burnin your examples continue to amaze :) "Imagines it hanging in an art gallery"

2017-07-12, 14:27:21
Reply #4

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thanks, tho it's just stuff from around here, blended a bit while bug hunting ;)
(from ortho camera testing, modified to test passes, attached below)

BTW, do you know what's with the ID_Material pass? Seems as if all materials have same ID & there's no adv. option to custom define ID#?

ie. this is ID_Material pass from c4d

2017-07-13, 23:53:37
Reply #5

blanchg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Blender exporter for Corona
Are you able to export to corona standalone from C4D?  Just the .mtl and .scn files should be all I need :)

2017-07-14, 16:03:23
Reply #6

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No go... :(

Could a max user provide a simple scene & material description files?

2017-07-14, 16:14:35
Reply #7

Pixelatedvertex

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, Burnin, thanks for the reply. I think you already showed me the GI passes in another post and they do work indeed, but the ID passes shown here don't seem useful for compositing. What I'm used to from Modo, and I've seen videos of Corona for Max doing the same, is that you set an ID for either an object, or a material tag and you get a Black and White mask, like an alpha for your ID tag. Also, the mask is antialiased the same way the main rendering is, so you don't get those ugly fringes, when you use the mask in post-pro.
The problem with the ID instance you showed here is, that you can never get a perfect mask from that output. If you use the magic wand in photoshop, or some kind of color range selection, you always get fringes around the borders, unless you have a B&W (or greyscale, to be more exact) output, that you can directly use as a mask, or unless you have at the most 3 masks per image, each one confined to either the R, G or the B channel (like vray does it). Those can then be extracted and used nicely for precise masking in post.

Now I've tried a workflow, where I would do the beauty render in Corona and render the masks in Cycles or Blender Internal, but those, while they provide options to render those masks, do not antialias them, which makes them pretty useless from my point of view.

Corona definitely has the feature already in other versions of the product, just not the standalone one, from what I understand.

2017-07-14, 22:14:34
Reply #8

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
yup :)
sadly... i understand what you mean & unfortunately...

CMasking_Mask (Creates a custom set of rules for including/excluding each object from the mask. The available conditions are material gbuffer ID, object gbuffer ID, and direct object selections)
... is not supported in standalone (Corona Blender Issue #83)

that's all i know... probably you should ask developers (for a feature ;)

2017-07-15, 00:27:32
Reply #9

Pixelatedvertex

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That was the original intention of this thread. Do the devs frequent these parts of the forum?