Author Topic: Corona 4 Crashes and lags a lot on threadipper 2990wx  (Read 9952 times)

2019-08-28, 21:14:39

arpit077

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, I have posted this before also that corona 4 is lagging a lot on my threadipper 2990wx but now it has become worse as it crashes 3dsmax every time I try to render any big scene. Can somebody help me? I am not using any denoiser while Interactive. I have tried reinstalling. I have tried limiting the core usage. But it is no good. It seems as if corona is not supporting threadipper at all. I would appreciate any kind of help.

2019-08-28, 21:23:30
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Lots of people are using Threadrippers, including in the office, so the claim that it doesn't work with / doesn't support Threadripper is unfounded.

Bear in mind that the NVIDIA denoiser can be used in the full render not just in the IR, so the first question is, is it enabled for either IR or final render?

Since this is crashing Max, the best thing is to send us the minidump, and also full info (what version of Max; every scene or just some; what version of Corona as you never mentioned if this is Hotfix 1 or the initial Corona 4) - see https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000524006-how-to-report-issues-3ds-max that page info on the minidump and the links to the private uploader to send it (and possibly any scenes that are causing crashes, if it is only some)

You say this is "any big scene", so are small scenes fine? What is the memory usage like? Have you checked the threads about memory timings and compatibility (which is not a Corona issue but a Threadripper issue in general)?
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-08-29, 11:30:10
Reply #2

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi,

I am also using a TR 2990wx and I have not experienced these problems so far.

So in addition to what Tom suggested I would make sure that your system is up to date, both through windows update and your graohics drivers.

Let me know if this helps?

Thanks,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2019-08-29, 16:41:39
Reply #3

Adam

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • RenderWorx
Could be a long shot but are you running Avast antivirus?

I was experiencing supper laggy behaviour with my 2990wx, checked my process explorer and for some reason whenever I would start rendering Avast started using a lot of power. Uninstalled it and now everything runs perfectly.

2019-08-31, 21:22:49
Reply #4

arpit077

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

In reply to upper questions:

1) I have used corona 3, corona 4 hotfix 1 and corona 5 from 27 september daily build. Corona 3 lags a lot but corona 4 and corona 5 crashes instantly as I run IR by either turning off denoiser from performance tab or limiting core usage in IR in system.

2) I have tested it again and again on multiple 3dsmax version starting from 3dsmax 2017, 3dsmax 2018, 3dsmax 2019 and 2 hr ago, I just tried 3dsmax 2020. and problem is same throughout.

3) Here is a video I made (https://www.dropbox.com/s/3xdnfopmk2qptwe/corona%20bug.mp4?dl=0)

4) If you see the video above, the lag is that much that I can not move windows and even stop IR. Also, you can see in task manager that ram is about 40% fill and both graphics card are normal at 1 to 2%. Only cpu is being utilized. Also to mention, the process also shows that no other application is utilization cpu as much as 3dsmax while on IR.

5) I have ran some bechmark softwares of corona, vray and indigo. All 3 seems to work flawless without any lag. I have put the system on stress test too and monitored the temps of cpu and motherboard. Everything seems normal and good.

6) All other application and 3dsmax alone work nicely and smooth when not on IR or rendering mode using corona. As soon as I start rendering, system almost becomes unusable.

7) these is like 56 gb of ram.

8) As you can see in the video, the scene is just 3 objects and corona environment white color. thats it. Nothing fancy.

9) I do not have avast, I use windows defender for now lol :D

10) All the gpu drivers and windows 10 are uptodate.

2019-09-01, 00:30:45
Reply #5

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Also a long shot but have you tried running in safe mode?
Could be some weird issue with another piece of software?
Alternatively have you overclocked and could it be some weird stability issue?

2019-09-01, 09:07:14
Reply #6

arpit077

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I have not tried running in safe mode. I will try it now. But I do not think that this is because of any other software.

and I have not overclocked anything in the system. Everything else seems to run fine, stress testing goes well, heavy games runs very smooth. This only happens when I start using corona.

2019-09-01, 17:54:59
Reply #7

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have a pretty popular thread on threadripper builds. Might be worth posting there too to see if anyone has any ideas or advice.

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=21416.0;topicseen

2019-09-02, 04:03:15
Reply #8

snakebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Snakebox Media
I am also running a 2990wx and mine is even overclocked, there is no issues with corona.

There is however, a lot of issues with 2990wx if you don't have enough cooling or enough power! particularly when rendering, corona and similar cpu renders can make the cpu power spike like no tomorrow. I had it run stable until I started rendering, then my comp would die at random times, until I upgraded my PSU (got a silly 1600watt psu now)
Another thing is memory, the 2990wx is very sensitive to memory speeds and timings to be stable, push it too far and it becomes quite unstable, so make sure you memory type and brand is working with your motherboard and the cpu.

I can only recommend to make sure you stress test everything confirming its all stable, because if it's not Corona will find a way to make it struggle :) 

2019-09-02, 08:09:39
Reply #9

arpit077

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, I have finally been able to debug the issue. The issue was caused by a windows 10 feature called control flow guard. You can read all about here. https://www.thewindowsclub.com/control-flow-guard-windows

After I turned this feature off in windows 10. The performance of corona+3dsmax all improved all together with no lag whatsoever.

If someone ever experience performance lag issue in future, I would recommend turning this feature off on windows 10.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

2019-09-02, 08:19:46
Reply #10

arpit077

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Also, you can get this small piece of software if you have 2990wx for CPU optimization.

https://bitsum.com/portfolio/coreprio/

Thanks to Vladimir for pointing this out.

2019-09-03, 08:17:38
Reply #11

snakebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Snakebox Media
Hi, I have finally been able to debug the issue. The issue was caused by a windows 10 feature called control flow guard. You can read all about here. https://www.thewindowsclub.com/control-flow-guard-windows

After I turned this feature off in windows 10. The performance of corona+3dsmax all improved all together with no lag whatsoever.

If someone ever experience performance lag issue in future, I would recommend turning this feature off on windows 10.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

So did you by chance have chrome running on the side when max/corona was having issues? it sounds like the flowguard is reported to be a problem for browsers, but I imagine if chrome is dying, windows is dying and then max/corona will suffer too? or was this directly affecting max? I'm just curious, thanks

2019-09-03, 11:29:27
Reply #12

arpit077

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, chrome on my system is the first thing I start as my system boots up and chrome keep running until I shut down my computer.  So yes, chrome is always running. :D
But now, I have turned that feature off. Chrome is still running and 3 simultaneous 3dsmax and everything running smoothly. I told this to one of the corona support member, today he said, he also seen a drop of temps drop on his cpu too.

2019-09-12, 21:07:41
Reply #13

LorenzoS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I notice the lags only in DR when the clients send data to server, it's like if the computer freeze, very annoing for me.
In corona 3 i had not that problem.

my workstation:
threadipper 1950x
max 2020
Corona5

clients:
i7

2019-09-13, 14:13:26
Reply #14

LorenzoS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
.....decreasing "Max pixel to transfer at once" seems solve.