Author Topic: Icelandic coastal house  (Read 224527 times)

2013-11-20, 22:41:05

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
We decided to post occasionally the projects we like the best. And we've grown to like this one a lot. It has interesting background, because we started building the project up from scratch including the architecture to illustrate our upcoming free tutorial, same as last year with Parisian apartment and bed tutorial.

After quick start, since the time is spare between our commercial projects, this project turned commercial as well, and series of images were created to illustrate lighting from Phillips Ambilight/Hue and start-up company GetGoldee. I've decided not to post these, but instead continue month later for few days and revisit this project, add up detail here and there, and move the project to into cloudy overcast weather mimicking our current mood.

Lighting was done using CG-Source HDRi, modified to my needs, and the night was done using mixed HDRi of the same CG-Source, combined with night sky of Peter Guthrie's 2003.

Furniture is all custom modelled with few exceptions (chair is from 3dSky), the sofa and bed is created in Marvelous by Veronika.

Post production was done using linear (burn setting 1.0) .exr corrected by MagicBullet Looks plugin inside Photoshop. I do some manual curve adjustments mostly to boost midtones, glow, and bring back some contrast. Very very basic stuff, but it does make a difference.

{click to see higher res}

If you like this set, please consider giving us appreciation on Behance ;- ) I'll be very thankful

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Icelandic-coastal-house/12273735

I'll try to answer all technical questions in this thread regarding project, but if it's more general question, maybe use my wip/f.a.q thread instead http://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,999.0.html

Edit: Swapped flickr for higher res uploads.
« Last Edit: 2016-03-31, 18:00:17 by Juraj_Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2013-11-20, 23:13:52
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Reserved for technical info. I will only copy here answer regarding this project, so it doesn't get lost and can be easily found for those who could benefit from it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you tell please from where is black wood texture on facade? I need something similar in the project I´m working on right now.

It's not the best texture, but we all know how hard is it to get wood textures :- ) This was is from cgtextures.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2013-11-20, 23:22:06
Reply #2

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
just do the making of/corona tips/tutorial for fucks sake already :D
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-11-20, 23:36:08
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

Almooost done. Take it easy on poor soul with ADHD and too much work :- ) I'll send it asap to you.

There are tasks that take a moment for most people but for me.. I can get stuck very easily and over-do lot of other things. I re-read mails 5 times before I send them..
« Last Edit: 2013-11-20, 23:40:48 by Juraj_Talcik »

2013-11-20, 23:55:27
Reply #4

fco3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Juraj, first of all congratulations this is a great rendering, very impressive quality and composition.  The lighting also look soo good.
I have a question regarding the environment, reading your explanation I don't get a clear idea if you add the back hills and lake in photoshop or you create a dome with the image or a series of panels with self illuminated materials?
I work with VRay I am pretty new to Corona so I am trying to figure out if a straight switch of software will do or I have to re adjust my workflow to Corona.

2013-11-21, 00:19:23
Reply #5

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am in awe, again! Crazy realistic renders as usual.

Would you mind elaborating on your night lighting setup? Specifically the interior lights - as soon as I start adding in any sort of directional lights to my hdri lit scene (corona ies, photometric or max spots) render times go from about 30 mins to ~4 hours to get something relatively noise free (using a 3930k).

I've also noticed that max spot lights seem to "clear" a lot quicker than corona lights when mixed together in a scene - is this a bug? I'm using the earlier stable daily build.

Thanks
Vray who?

2013-11-21, 00:22:31
Reply #6

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hi Juraj, first of all congratulations this is a great rendering, very impressive quality and composition.  The lighting also look soo good.
I have a question regarding the environment, reading your explanation I don't get a clear idea if you add the back hills and lake in photoshop or you create a dome with the image or a series of panels with self illuminated materials?
I work with VRay I am pretty new to Corona so I am trying to figure out if a straight switch of software will do or I have to re adjust my workflow to Corona.

It is pure 360 spherical HDRi, modified from original CG-Source one. I haven't done any compositing in Photoshop, although I have thought of it. Maybe next time, when I'll photograph my own backplates :- )

I'll post more elaborately about this later, as HDRi stuff interests lot of people, but right now I ask for patience, I am happy to be happy ;- )

I am in awe, again! Crazy realistic renders as usual.

Would you mind elaborating on your night lighting setup? Specifically the interior lights - as soon as I start adding in any sort of directional lights to my hdri lit scene (corona ies, photometric or max spots) render times go from about 30 mins to ~4 hours to get something relatively noise free (using a 3930k).

I've also noticed that max spot lights seem to "clear" a lot quicker than corona lights when mixed together in a scene - is this a bug? I'm using the earlier stable daily build.

Thanks

I am not really expert on artificial lighting, but you are correct that times go up currently quite some. I used IES only using CoronaLights and haven't experimented with Max Lights (I never used them in Vray either, they seemed too complicated for me and too many things to fiddle around with.... I HATE that)

I use Alpha5, because I can't afford daily builds for my commercial work, too much stress already. I think lot might have changes since, but I don't know.

I think I saw Keymaster's suggestion to use Max spotlights for the noise in the forum, which would correlate to your findings.

Anyway, I am very proud of my NightHDRi :- D All copyright where due to !

« Last Edit: 2013-11-21, 00:47:51 by Juraj_Talcik »

2013-11-21, 00:35:11
Reply #7

rafpug

• Active Users
    • View Profile
you're always the best, Juraj

2013-11-21, 05:27:03
Reply #8

Ice_Juice

• Active Users
    • View Profile
unbelievable, awesome!!!!!!

2013-11-21, 07:20:07
Reply #9

fco3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
OK that's for the input and all your information sharing
Great work.!

2013-11-21, 09:14:09
Reply #10

skinny_santa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
orgasmic
using corona before it was cool :3

2013-11-21, 09:58:13
Reply #11

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
The only thing I would point out is tiling wood texture. But it's still ok. :)
For me it is always awesome how you achieve realistic and aesthetic results with very simple means and (almost?) no fakery.
If you are ok with sharing your secrets - could you post screens of your material setup for the outside wood, water and glass?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2013-11-21, 10:05:25
Reply #12

VadoZe

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Do u know how much costs this house?)
!Do your Best!

2013-11-21, 11:44:32
Reply #13

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
The renderings look awesome, no doubt about that, but I really hope something like that will never be actually built somewhere on such a calm looking coast in iceland - it just doesn't belong there.

Lots of people seem to be using MagicBullet these days, would you mind showing a raw render?
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2013-11-21, 13:17:03
Reply #14

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The only thing I would point out is tiling wood texture. But it's still ok. :)
For me it is always awesome how you achieve realistic and aesthetic results with very simple means and (almost?) no fakery.
If you are ok with sharing your secrets - could you post screens of your material setup for the outside wood, water and glass?

You are very right about tiling :- ) and I was aware about this..but sometimes, I just say "ah, whatever" and just move on. I haven't changed the material from original commercial version, and that one was built in 7 days.

Yes, I'll post the screenshots, but you are again correct it will be super simple. I am simple person, so don't expect som sofistication in them :- )

First screenshot shows that the geometry is not displaced or anything, but each plank is modelled and chamfered using QuadChamfer. Every single object has chamfers from this :- ) It is then mapped through 2 different UVW channels for the above posted maps.

Here is material screenshot, nothing special. Maybe worth noted for some, is that I often use anisotrophy for woods. Make of it what you wish but I like the results ;- )

Glass. Nothing to watch :- ) Embarassingly simple. I am pretty sure more complex glass can be made, but, this one works. This project originally had double paned glass, but I didn't particulary like the look this time, so I simplified it back to single box of 12mm thickness. There is no bump for distortions :- ) I usually use it (and it is painted not noise), but this time again, I simplified it for most clarity into interiors. Hybrid glass, although I think I tried rendering with true glass as well and it went just fine, maybe because there are so many windows.

Water. The difference is IOR and small noise bump. Again, nothing nested or interesting. It worked and I was satisfied. True refraction this time, not hybrid.

Since I already opened up the scene, I might as well post the other ones in case for later.

Metals: Even more simple..just one texture. But what I consider important, is they are pure black in diffuse, there is not texture or value there. That keeps it pretty autenthic.

The windows: It looks weird on preview because it was properly stretched by UVmapping on objects ( on Z-axis)

The fireplace Top Part : I quite like this one, the texture is simple composite from some scratches from cgtextures. Unusually, it features bump map as well, something I avoid most of the time.

THe fireplace Lower Part: It ended up not being visible, but I still quite like it. Here I contradict myself, because I ended up using very small diffuse value through map, this material is more "composite" than true metal.

Concrete: Again, very very basic. I used unmodified Arroway textures. I got some flack for tiling pattern, which is not true, because they tile on 5meters :- ) but the texture itself seems so. I
agree the  some Arroway collections, while extremely high in quality, can have certain generic/plastic feeling about them. But it's impossible to find something in same quality unless you photograph it yourself. Only thing worth mentioning, I sometimes uses higher IOR for concrete as it is composite material so it becomes more reflective, but very matte-glossy, almost unnoticeable unless extremely grazing angle.

Bed fabric: Extremely simple. At some point, I had variant with displace, then normal map, but in the end I settled for simple bump map. Works wonders :- ) I would like to point out this is the
brightest material in whole scene, with RGB level 210!, every other white is between 160-180 RGB including white paint.

I hope no one will scrutiny me for this :- ) I ain't no Bertrand, I have very little time and when I can do things simple, I keep it simple.

« Last Edit: 2013-11-21, 15:49:19 by Juraj_Talcik »

2013-11-21, 14:46:55
Reply #15

dia

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Love the exteriors most . Really well done . Corona is a great render engine but gets even better with a good artists like your self Juraj.
/DIA

2013-11-21, 14:48:01
Reply #16

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Love the exteriors most . Really well done . Corona is a great render engine but gets even better with a good artists like your self Juraj.
/DIA

Well my only luck is I've been here sooner than you :- ) Once you post renders, I'll migrate to Octane !(jk)

Hmm, seems I can't fit everything into one post, so I continue here:

The renderings look awesome, no doubt about that, but I really hope something like that will never be actually built somewhere on such a calm looking coast in iceland - it just doesn't belong there.

Lots of people seem to be using MagicBullet these days, would you mind showing a raw render?

Don't worry DeadClown, all in good faith of fantasy ;- ) I am not architect and Veronika concentrates on small architecture at this point only. With that said, the inspiration was the FOGO Island houses from Saunders Architects, which is often criticed for this fact (abusing calm nature) and it is very interesting controversy, which boils down how far can you get in personal selfishness.

Magic Bullet LOOKS: I use it because I use only Photoshop in my stills worflow (and AE for animations, and BM Looks is interchangeable between these apps) but still want to correct .32bit images. It's also very convenient and fun to work with. Like something you would do on smartphone :- )

Top is RAW render from Corona, in these case, already crushed in Corona. In these whole set, it's 50:50 saved with burn1(linear) or burn5-8, if I like the result.
As can be seen, interiors are barely touched for most part. Exterior features mostly glow.

Here is something I posted on FB few days ago: It shows the bare minimum of nods. Again, quite simple.

« Last Edit: 2013-11-21, 15:21:09 by Juraj_Talcik »

2013-11-21, 16:02:07
Reply #17

Adanmq

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • 3D Collective
Hi. Thx for sharing your scene details, your works its amazing. 

2013-11-21, 16:12:19
Reply #18

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Thanks for the comparison images. You seem to be pretty good at stopping postwork at the right moment ;) I always have to take back my stuff at least 50% to not make it look too crazy (and it's still too much ;) ). It's the subtle changes that make the renderings look so "photographic".

Maybe I'll take a look at magicBullet (LOOKS!). I always thought it would be some "advanced-photoshop-filter-catalog" for people who are not willing to (or not knowing how to) do their own curves and stuff, but it looks useful if you can split it up in different separate tools.
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2013-11-21, 16:32:36
Reply #19

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Thanks for the comparison images. You seem to be pretty good at stopping postwork at the right moment ;) I always have to take back my stuff at least 50% to not make it look too crazy (and it's still too much ;) ). It's the subtle changes that make the renderings look so "photographic".

Maybe I'll take a look at magicBullet (LOOKS!). I always thought it would be some "advanced-photoshop-filter-catalog" for people who are not willing to (or not knowing how to) do their own curves and stuff, but it looks useful if you can split it up in different separate tools.

The presets are very cinematic, definitely not fitting for regular "photography" work :- ) It would look extremely instagramy. So I build the basics from scratch.

I don't actually consider myself great at subtlety, and sometimes intentionally just don't care and overdo it as well. After all, it can contribute to certain style and if I had to be precice&picky I would have lost my hair by now. I don't really care about mistakes in my works, I always strife for certain bigger picture and the rest be damned. Archviz world is filled with too much obssesion about unimportant things ;- )

PS:There is actually a more "advanced-photoshop-filter-catalog", it's called MagicBullet PhotoLooks instead, and is very much like just instagram, oversimplified version with very crunchy presets.

2013-11-21, 16:44:19
Reply #20

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Peter Guthrie Visualisation
Have you tried Lightroom for your final tweaks Juraj? It supports 32 images too (you'll need to convert your exr to tif though). The only thing it can't really do is any kind of diffusion (bloom, glare) but otherwise I love working on my images in it as it is much more photographer friendly.

2013-11-21, 17:24:05
Reply #21

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I always have to take back my stuff at least 50% to not make it look too crazy (and it's still too much ;) ). It's the subtle changes that make the renderings look so "photographic".
To solve this I usually load up the default untouched file onto a new layer and blend it by 33-50%. Or take a break and look at the processed file after some time.  :)

2013-11-21, 17:25:07
Reply #22

caixadoricardo

hi Juraj_Talcik!

really nice pictures ;)

the other day i was trying to scatter pebbles the way you did but without success, have you used some special trick?

thanks a lot for your sharing your knowledge  :)

2013-11-21, 17:41:53
Reply #23

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Thanks for the material setups! (they are on the previous page if some didn't notice (like me ;) ))

2013-11-21, 18:38:34
Reply #24

DraKeXXI

• Users
    • View Profile
    • Alex Ruano
Pure gold, Juraj. Thanks a lot for sharing..........very inspiring work!
Projects like these are the impulse I need to put my hands on Corona :)

2013-11-21, 22:22:41
Reply #25

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Thank you guys :- ).

Anyway, I got pretty important news from client and I need to go into turbo mode for next 4 days. So I will continue with everything here next week ! Sorry about this, I am in huge hurry

-----------------------
Few more though:

the other day i was trying to scatter pebbles the way you did but without success, have you used some special trick?

It is prepared mesh (not scattered in scene) from Arroway Gravel collection. It's crazy collection, just wait till you see it..

Have you tried Lightroom for your final tweaks Juraj? It supports 32 images too (you'll need to convert your exr to tif though). The only thing it can't really do is any kind of diffusion (bloom, glare) but otherwise I love working on my images in it as it is much more photographer friendly.

I've been eying it for some time, but I am slow/rigid in integrating new tools. But I plan one photography workshop in Amsterdam and I'll definitely see how they work inside it for architectural photography.
« Last Edit: 2013-11-21, 23:11:05 by Juraj_Talcik »

2013-11-21, 23:15:14
Reply #26

modern_babylon

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Fantastic Juraj, thanks for this. I can wait to really read through ti a few times.  I'm really interested with the custom hdri you made to include the landscape (I though that would have been postwork).

Excellent stuff! :)

2013-11-22, 01:04:16
Reply #27

Chakib

• Active Users
  • Corona Omnomnomer !
    • View Profile
Amazing quality render, one of the best here, you deserve great awards for that one :D

2013-11-22, 17:02:24
Reply #28

renovatio

• Users
    • View Profile
Ohh, very high quality rendering

2013-11-22, 18:26:40
Reply #29

lylemills

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Amazing work. Are we going to have to include you in the "holy trinity" (Bertrand B., Peter G., Alex R.) of arch-viz/interior design CG artists?

I noticed your comments about Magic Bullet Photo Looks. Take a look at Google's Nik Collection - very good set of plugins/filters. Free if you purchased any of Nik's plugins in the past. I think they pretty much do what Magic Bullet does, but at a fraction of the price.

2013-11-22, 18:28:27
Reply #30

lylemills

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Hey Keymaster! How about the same for the C4D release of this amazing rendering engine!!!

2013-11-22, 18:44:01
Reply #31

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Amazing work. Are we going to have to include you in the "holy trinity" (Bertrand B., Peter G., Alex R.) of arch-viz/interior design CG artists?

When will we convert all of these guys to Corona anyway? Peter is already experimenting, but we need also the rest :D

Hey Keymaster! How about the same for the C4D release of this amazing rendering engine!!!
C4D plugin is unfortunately getting made by a student who is not working full-time, so it will take time.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-11-23, 02:33:59
Reply #32

lylemills

• Active Users
    • View Profile

"C4D plugin is unfortunately getting made by a student who is not working full-time, so it will take time."

Bribe him/her with food or candy or something! Or tell him/her to drop out and get the C4D plugin complete. School is always there, the satisfaction and fame of creating a rendering plugin is not. I am getting tired of Vrayforc4d's nonsense and would love to use something different. If Juraj's work is any indication of the quality of this rendering engine, I'll switch for sure. I know Juraj is a Corona Rendering Rock Star, and with his future tutorials we can all, "join the band!"

Best Regards,
Lyle 

2013-11-23, 04:51:32
Reply #33

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hi Lyle,

regarding MagicBullet and comparison to various plugins out there, like NIK collection (or Topaz, or quite many other) I don't think that's really the same.
MagicBullet isn't collection of ready-made filters foremost, it's much more color grading and curve tweaking post production tool with very easy,
friendly and intuitive workflow. It comes bundled with "filters", but it's just premade setups of the various nodes. My post-production is so simple,
there is zero compositing (which I do for animations, but that is just Z-Depth&FrischluftLensCare for DOF in AE), so I need something fast, easy, with quick
re-usability between images in same set.

I've received lot of questions regarding my Corona setup here, and I hope no one will be dissapointed much, because there is nothing I really changed, it's tidbits.
(but that does speak a lot on behalf of Corona no?)

Regarding the exteriors, it's default almost. You can spot probably 0.05 in texture resolution, which is because my HDRi is 12 000px. If it indeed samples more efficiently (aka "smartIBL" ) I am not that sure, didn't bothered with tests much.
Even the MSI is at default 20. For interiors, the difference is MSI400 in Livingroom (due to secondary reflections) and MSI50 in bedroom, the PT samples were increased to 32 as well in interiors.

Well,here..

Cheers guys, talk soon..
« Last Edit: 2013-11-23, 23:12:13 by Juraj_Talcik »

2013-11-23, 08:28:26
Reply #34

marcoshl23

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for show us how is Corona is so simple to use. I am convence now that is better then Vray  ;-)

2013-11-23, 11:58:49
Reply #35

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Max ray depth: 28 - now we know Juraj's secret! ;)

2013-11-23, 13:21:29
Reply #36

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Peter Guthrie Visualisation
When will we convert all of these guys to Corona anyway? Peter is already experimenting, but we need also the rest :D

I'll get Bertrand on board ;)

2013-11-23, 13:30:32
Reply #37

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Good. Tell him we got cookies :D

2013-11-23, 14:43:43
Reply #38

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

lol, is that not default ? If not, then I only changed it during tryint to solve that AA problem, nothing else. I guess I forgot to put it back :- )

EDIT: There is now corrected image showing value 25, which should be there.
« Last Edit: 2013-11-23, 23:14:36 by Juraj_Talcik »

2013-11-23, 14:46:01
Reply #39

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

lol, is that not default ? If not, then I only changed it during tryint to solve that AA problem, nothing else. I guess I forgot to put it back :- )
Too late! For the next half a year people will be running around forums shouting "set max ray depth to 28!" ;)

2013-11-23, 15:22:30
Reply #40

ondrike

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Too late! For the next half a year people will be running around forums shouting "set max ray depth to 28!" ;)

:D :D :D I thought that answer is 42, but obviously it is 28 :D :D :D
Corona brought joy to sad world of 3Ds Max :)

2013-11-23, 18:24:12
Reply #41

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

2013-11-23, 19:12:22
Reply #42

AnubisMe

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2013-11-23, 23:13:37
Reply #43

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I've re-uploaded corrected image. I thought it was funny as well but, seems all it does it cause drama.

2013-11-24, 02:38:29
Reply #44

delkin

• Active Users
  • Corona Render
    • View Profile
Juraj Talcik, thanks for the contribution share us who admire and appreciate your hard work, my most sincere congratulations to all the respect you deserve
DELKIN MEZA ROJAS

2013-11-24, 11:02:07
Reply #45

marcoshl23

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello everybody, I made a simple project in 3ds max using corona render and the setup as Juraj_Talcik show us. I have a problem with because it never stop even after 10 hours. Could somebody explaing me how this can happen and what I have to do?

2013-11-24, 11:17:03
Reply #46

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Corona will never stop by itself unless you set a time limit or pass limit. That's the point of this rendering engine. :)

2013-11-26, 10:08:01
Reply #47

miro24

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It´s a great render Juraj, nice atmosphere, perfect texture and positive mood, i love it. Five ***** for me!! And thank you for your tutorial i think i will improve :-)

2013-11-27, 04:30:10
Reply #48

hardzone

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Bo3dviz
No idea. It very nice work. ^_^

2013-11-28, 22:33:18
Reply #49

blackhaus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Juraj,

Great images, as always :)
you're really push corona further with your images, ( actually makes me feel, I'm wasting my time not having time to testing it as
further as you are).
Besides the quality that is obvious, I have some perceptions with the image, If you don't mind :)
In my opinion, the shaders, are in some parts shiner than as you it should  look at real, and you could random more textures
to give a non repetitive look in some parts(leather, wood planks).
I feel in some images, the contact shadow is missing, I really don't know the reason, I'm not talking about quality,
but my feeling related to the set.

Anyway, outstanding images, they're the best on the forum so far :)
BIG responsibility mannn, just joking

Cheers
Fernando

2013-11-29, 02:13:40
Reply #50

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hi Juraj,

you're really push corona further with your images, ( actually makes me feel, I'm wasting my time not having time to testing it as
further as you are).
Besides the quality that is obvious, I have some perceptions with the image, If you don't mind :)
In my opinion, the shaders, are in some parts shiner than as you it should  look at real, and you could random more textures
I feel in some images, the contact shadow is missing, I really don't know the reason, I'm not talking about quality,

Cheers
Fernando

Hi Fernando,

actually, much thank you honest critique. I am not oblivious to the lack of quality shaders and repetive textures, very guilty of both :- ) My defense is, I am bit lazy on this front and often not care much. I think I am slightly improving here...and it is all about discipline, which I lack ! But I am getting bit motivated by Bertrand's perfectionism (which is almost alien like) so I think for next projects I will put bit more care into this.

When it comes to shaders, I always look at your work and wonder..how you find the patience !

Also, thank you for compliments, it goes without saying your word has "weight" :- )  Cheers and look forward what you will shock us next with.

2013-11-29, 17:41:45
Reply #51

blackhaus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Really awesome to share opinions with you Juraj :)
As I said before, the work is awesome, the comments were to give you another perspective,
and I'm quite right you understand it :).

I've been seen Bertrand's work, I'm really asking myself if he's a human hehe, just kidding,
that's nice to see such a great names using corona.

Actually, I don't have such a patience, instead of it, I tried to be as hard as I can on details,
maybe this is the reason I take so long to share my works

I'm waiting to see your next job, I'm sure I'll be jealous,(in a good way, of course) :)

Cheers
Fernando

Hi Juraj,

further as you are).

Cheers
Fernando

Hi Fernando,

actually, much thank you honest critique. I am not oblivious to the lack of quality shaders and repetive textures, very guilty of both :- ) My defense is, I am bit lazy on this front and often not care much. I think I am slightly improving here...and it is all about discipline, which I lack ! But I am getting bit motivated by Bertrand's perfectionism (which is almost alien like) so I think for next projects I will put bit more care into this.

When it comes to shaders, I always look at your work and wonder..how you find the patience !

Also, thank you for compliments, it goes without saying your word has "weight" :- )  Cheers and look forward what you will shock us next with.

2013-12-02, 02:58:31
Reply #52

neshas

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Simon Alexander
Wow, great client and product presentation with your renders!

http://getgoldee.com/

2013-12-02, 03:45:33
Reply #53

sbrusse

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Juraj,

I just wanted to drop a line to express how much I like your work and that thanks to you, I will give Corona finally a try. ;-)

Cheers mate
Stan

2013-12-02, 03:46:17
Reply #54

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Wow, great client and product presentation with your renders!

http://getgoldee.com/

Yes, they asked me for pictures and we created a set for them :- ) They were very nice people so even dispite lack of time we managed to work it out.
In retrospect, only think I wish they didn't chose such crazy colors for the interiors, but I guess they want to showcase it in full "power" although there are many nicer, simpler,
calmer gradients.

Hi Juraj,

I just wanted to drop a line to express how much I like your work and that thanks to you, I will give Corona finally a try. ;-)

Cheers mate
Stan

Thank you kindly :- ) Much appreciated

2013-12-02, 04:51:14
Reply #55

Coronaut

• Active Users
    • View Profile
And after few hours reading all those links and posts here, finally i can say congrats :D Insane details but still simple and clean.

2013-12-02, 15:22:50
Reply #56

sosqingwu

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2013-12-02, 16:18:24
Reply #57

shadowman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
sosqingwu - look for "Mat. editor quality" setting in Basic configuration

2013-12-02, 17:59:21
Reply #58

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
sosqingwu - look for "Mat. editor quality" setting in Basic configuration

This is correct, I used value 12 for these previews I think. It still took only few seconds. It's absolutely brilliant feature.

2013-12-05, 01:04:51
Reply #59

modern_babylon

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Juraj,

Congrats on all the hype (well deserved hype) on this project...both on the forum and elsewhere. I just wanted to ask where you found/bought your bed material from or if it's a composite you have made?

Thanks Mate, appreciate all the input you have given the forum on this one.

2013-12-05, 01:40:46
Reply #60

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hey Juraj,

Congrats on all the hype (well deserved hype) on this project...both on the forum and elsewhere. I just wanted to ask where you found/bought your bed material from or if it's a composite you have made?

Thanks Mate, appreciate all the input you have given the forum on this one.

It's a composite from 2 maps, but only one is important, those wrinkles.. I tried remembering quite hard and did some searching "wrinkles" on cgtextures.com, but I can't pinpoint which one I used or even if ! It could have been something from google as well just made tileable..

Here is how it looks in 640px size..which I guess could be used as public..or atleast as "source",ehm,..

2013-12-05, 02:06:51
Reply #61

modern_babylon

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Cool...thanks Juraj,

Crumpled paper could also  be a good place to start if one wanted to build a composite, ehm

:)

2013-12-05, 02:14:18
Reply #62

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Cool...thanks Juraj,

Crumpled paper could also  be a good place to start if one wanted to build a composite, ehm

:)

No one gets to know anyway :- ) Can't bother creating material for days

2013-12-05, 21:55:28
Reply #63

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2014-01-17, 23:09:40
Reply #64

benjamincillo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello Juraj

Thanks for share your techniques with us, really is very inspiring...:)

Just two questions:

-home many time did you spend on rendering the final images (and your workstation specs)
-how did you do your pebbles? are they modeled? or is a displacement? (how?)

congratulations!

2014-01-19, 02:41:34
Reply #65

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hello Juraj

Thanks for share your techniques with us, really is very inspiring...:)

Just two questions:

-home many time did you spend on rendering the final images (and your workstation specs)
-how did you do your pebbles? are they modeled? or is a displacement? (how?)

congratulations!

Hi Ben, thanks !

6-10 hours, each overnight per machine (4930k), but this is at 3840px to 5760px in width atleast, so pretty large. And, PT+PT(32) only, just because :- ), doesn't matter much at this architecture,
since there is so much contact with exterior.
It's 3D model directly prepared by Arroway Pebbles collection. It's awesome collection, check it out.

Regards

2014-02-27, 07:39:43
Reply #66

jjduncs

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • thevisualworkshop
Hi Juraj,

Just wondering if there is any environment modelling in this set or if its all the HDRi? Looks great either way!

Josh

2014-02-27, 23:34:48
Reply #67

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hi Juraj,

Just wondering if there is any environment modelling in this set or if its all the HDRi? Looks great either way!

Josh

I did modelled the environment originally (few versions even...one with forest, one with beach and small shrubbery). I ended up not using it. It's full HDRi what you see in final. Like an automotive renderings ;- ) because why not. It's fast and effective.

2014-02-28, 07:40:25
Reply #68

Alex Abarca

• Active Users
  • Corona Certified Instructor
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Juraj, the Icelandic house is EPIC!

2014-02-28, 10:21:42
Reply #69

jjduncs

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • thevisualworkshop
sweet thanks, i thought thats how it was setup.

I've been trying to do similar lately and its pretty difficult to get the camera in the right position etc.
ie. when I zoom out it looks like my model is tiny on the grass.

Yours looks flawless in that regard.

2014-02-28, 17:45:53
Reply #70

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
sweet thanks, i thought thats how it was setup.

I've been trying to do similar lately and its pretty difficult to get the camera in the right position etc.
ie. when I zoom out it looks like my model is tiny on the grass.

Yours looks flawless in that regard.

Yes, depends largely on the individual HDRi, what height was it taken from,etc.. I do plan for near future to shoot these individually by myself.

2014-03-01, 20:57:32
Reply #71

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi Juraj!
I'm starting a Polish Corona group on Facebook and I would love to show some of your picture as an example of Corona's capabilities. May I have your permission? How should I caption them? Copyright... [nickname? name?] Sorry for writing here, I wasn't able to contact you via PM.

2014-03-02, 02:05:19
Reply #72

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hi Juraj!
I'm starting a Polish Corona group on Facebook and I would love to show some of your picture as an example of Corona's capabilities. May I have your permission? How should I caption them? Copyright... [nickname? name?] Sorry for writing here, I wasn't able to contact you via PM.

Sorry about it, it became increasingly tiresome to manage anything outside of email. Even email is lottery to answer,..

No need to ask for permission, any credit is ok. Quoting my FB page { https://www.facebook.com/jurajtalcik.visualizations } is welcomed though :- )

2014-03-02, 09:47:45
Reply #73

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Sweet. Thanks!

2014-03-03, 20:14:34
Reply #74

claudiostacciarini

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • LumiDigital
Amazing work, thanks for share!

2014-04-09, 08:19:42
Reply #75

lillo1

• Users
    • View Profile
SORRY COULD YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN WHERE FIND THIS LAST OPTION FOR MAT PREVIEW IN MAX 2014..I CAN'T FIND IT..
THANX

2014-04-10, 10:55:53
Reply #76

baviaan6

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi Juraj,

great work and thank you for your post sofar!

Is it also possible to tell us the following:

- lighting setup (interior lighting) - with some example pics?
- Did you also use render elements for you project?
- render settings..- with some example pics?

Maybe I`m asking to much, but if you could find some sime in explaining above, it would be nice..

I`m still learning and want to get good results with my projects also.

greatings and thank you so far!!
Martin Gonzalo Wennekes

2014-04-10, 13:12:56
Reply #77

hunter1st

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • hunter1st
Excellent work.

This is up there with some of the best archivis I've seen. The raw renders look great. nice job job on the materials. I'm not a fan of magic bullet, I think its because the UI looks prehistoric ha. But you use it well, a lot of people go way over the top with magic bullet.

well done :)

2014-04-12, 03:51:57
Reply #78

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
. I'm not a fan of magic bullet, I think its because the UI looks prehistoric ha.

Wha :- ) I love the UI personally, seems modern to me instead :- D ? Well, I don't use the tools so predominantly now, Peter Guthrie persuaded me to try Lightroom and I now mix Lightroom and Photoshop a lot.

SORRY COULD YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN WHERE FIND THIS LAST OPTION FOR MAT PREVIEW IN MAX 2014..I CAN'T FIND IT..
THANX

I am really not sure what you are asking :- ) I've read it few times but you will need to ask more thoroughly.

- lighting setup (interior lighting) - with some example pics?
- Did you also use render elements for you project?
- render settings..- with some example pics?

-Single HDRi, nothing else (no portals, no anything, no override,etc..)
-No, I don't use any elements in my work (I do use few with Vray, like Z-Depth for animation, but that is)
-Nothing unusual, just keep default. This set was rendered using PT+PT32, only because I simply had the time and performance for it.

2014-04-13, 17:47:04
Reply #79

hunter1st

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • hunter1st
. I'm not a fan of magic bullet, I think its because the UI looks prehistoric ha.

Wha :- ) I love the UI personally, seems modern to me instead :- D ? Well, I don't use the tools so predominantly now, Peter Guthrie persuaded me to try Lightroom and I now mix Lightroom and Photoshop a lot.

yeah lightroom i love! although I have recently just been sticking to Camera Raw in the new photoshop CC. I'ts great now that you have full 32bit control throughout the whole process

2014-04-13, 22:27:35
Reply #80

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Oh yeah, I know = ) CC rocks.

2014-04-26, 11:26:15
Reply #81

dartofang

• Active Users
  • @archviztutorial
    • View Profile
as always great renders Juraj. ;)

2014-04-30, 10:26:43
Reply #82

Player22

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Juraj!
Your work is amazing, such mood & realistic. I'm just getting in to architectural visualisation and have just found corona about a week ago. I've used vray  in 3ds max for a while ,but corona is far simpler a process for getting to decent images.

I would  like to build or buy a new computer, what in your opinion is  the best way to go multi CPU's or a single unit  with very large amount of ram. Should I buy a decent video card ? I use a PC set up i3 laptop with 3 Gig ram and have a Itel duo core desktop with 4 gig ram which is DDR2 ( bit dated  I know )

I know buying a Ferrari doesn't make you a better driver,  I would just like to build or buy something  most suited to the job. I,ve looked at BOXX (not cheep in the UK )it's an investment I need to make but in what direction. While developing my skills I think  you need speed  so review  result to changes in scene settings.

your  thoughts would be greatly apprciated

thanks

2014-04-30, 18:04:46
Reply #83

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Every small freelancer who ever bought Boxx is idi**,...ok, person who hates his money. Check some threads on cgarchitect.com forum, HW section, we discuss it there with Dimitris and bunch of guys to death quite often. There you can find almost 20+ virtual builds for any sort of budget from 800 euros to 8000 euros, just suit yourself :- ) Budget is the only limiting thing. To be honest you can built excellent workstation for as low as +/- 1400 euros and you would be completely satisfied compared to what you currently have.

Always buy only what you need :- )

2014-04-30, 18:36:16
Reply #84

ragnakim

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Mind blown! amazing renders. congrats. You deserve a place in the gallery IMO.

2014-05-03, 21:37:01
Reply #85

hemrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I love your sense of space.

2014-10-31, 15:38:40
Reply #86

chrisc0le

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi All

There is some very interesting material on this forum for a vray user dabbling in Corona.

Does anyone know what wood the flooring is in this interior?
If Juraj is still checking this thread, it would be very helpful if you could let me know where you got it from.

Thanks Chris

2014-10-31, 18:08:56
Reply #87

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hi All

There is some very interesting material on this forum for a vray user dabbling in Corona.

Does anyone know what wood the flooring is in this interior?
If Juraj is still checking this thread, it would be very helpful if you could let me know where you got it from.

Thanks Chris

Well I do if it's bumped :- ).

It's Dinesen Douglas Fir, it's derived from original photography and unfortunately I can't share it.

Few very good alternatives: There is free version from Viz-People that looks very close and is very hi-res and good quality. CG-Source now also have wide-planks (30-45mm in width) available.

2014-10-31, 20:34:25
Reply #88

chrisc0le

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well I do if it's bumped :- ).

It's Dinesen Douglas Fir, it's derived from original photography and unfortunately I can't share it.

Few very good alternatives: There is free version from Viz-People that looks very close and is very hi-res and good quality. CG-Source now also have wide-planks (30-45mm in width) available.

Thanks for the pointer Juraj, I'll do some searching.

2014-11-01, 00:21:47
Reply #89

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
I was searching for Dinesen year ago and as far as i remember i used this photo to make my own textures (with different pattern also)

http://www.stylepark.com/db-images/cms/dinesen/img/l2_p342870_2200_1515-3.jpg
Coronaut!(c)2011

Supporting Corona in commercial projects since pre-alpha

2014-11-01, 12:47:08
Reply #90

chrisc0le

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I was searching for Dinesen year ago and as far as i remember i used this photo to make my own textures (with different pattern also)

http://www.stylepark.com/db-images/cms/dinesen/img/l2_p342870_2200_1515-3.jpg

Thanks michaltimko

2014-11-01, 22:32:11
Reply #91

arti

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I was look to the setup on your material screenshot maps and i see some option like emmision 

may i ask you, what version of corona do you use, because i can't see the option on my material maps
I use the Alpha v7

2014-11-01, 22:51:15
Reply #92

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I was look to the setup on your material screenshot maps and i see some option like emmision 

may i ask you, what version of corona do you use, because i can't see the option on my material maps
I use the Alpha v7

So do I now (well, daily build actually).

But this was done back in A5. Lot's of changes in between, same goes for my materials.

2014-11-12, 15:49:25
Reply #93

chrisc0le

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Juraj

Just a quick question for you.
When you set up this scene did you use only the Iceland HDRI in the environment slot?
I have that same HDRI, but for the life of me I cannot achieve the same dark(ish) shadows you have from the chair legs & armchairs etc.

What could I be doing wrong? or have you used a secondary light for this?
I have tried altering the gamma down to 0.75 but nothing really gets there.

Tjanks.

2016-03-31, 17:16:25
Reply #94

andrewdtejeda

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Juraj

Just a quick question for you.
When you set up this scene did you use only the Iceland HDRI in the environment slot?
I have that same HDRI, but for the life of me I cannot achieve the same dark(ish) shadows you have from the chair legs & armchairs etc.

What could I be doing wrong? or have you used a secondary light for this?
I have tried altering the gamma down to 0.75 but nothing really gets there.

Tjanks.

I believe it is posted on the first or second page of this thread, but he combined two different hdri's.

Cheers!

2016-03-31, 17:40:23
Reply #95

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I missed this question, But what a necro revival :- D

I added slight sun for interior shots :- ) Pure diffuse light doesn't look good in such open space, you would get no grounding or shape reveal.

2016-07-20, 06:09:49
Reply #96

3ddd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great work. One question:  where did you find these nice wood textures in INTERIOR? Thanks

2016-07-20, 06:20:24
Reply #97

3ddd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You can answer me on Russian.
I saw your names of textures on Russian "BetonStena", ты говоришь по русски?

2016-07-20, 13:52:06
Reply #98

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
3ddd, I do not speak russian :- ) The name is the same in slovak.

The interior are Dinesen Douglas hardwood. You can now download them from their website (not the best quality,... you need to do some hacks and tweaks in PS.

2016-07-20, 14:22:22
Reply #99

3ddd

• Active Users
    • View Profile

The interior are Dinesen Douglas hardwood. You can now download them from their website (not the best quality,... you need to do some hacks and tweaks in PS.
I can't to download those textures"Error establishing a database connection". VPN doesn't help me.
I would be so thankful if you will send me those on email.   tesla.project2013@gmail.com
thank you very much!

2016-07-20, 14:47:08
Reply #100

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

I can't to download those textures"Error establishing a database connection". VPN doesn't help me.
I would be so thankful if you will send me those on email.   tesla.project2013@gmail.com
thank you very much!

Maybe they have some temporary server issues ? Anyway, sent you a WeTransfer link.

2016-07-21, 07:10:16
Reply #101

3ddd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I love you guy!!!!!! Thank you so much bro!!!!

2016-07-22, 11:36:37
Reply #102

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
You can answer me on Russian.
I saw your names of textures on Russian "BetonStena", ты говоришь по русски?
Should i add to this filename couple letters and replace one more letter with another, i could ask Juraj gal kartais kalbi Lietuviškai ;]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-07-22, 13:48:58
Reply #103

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
or "popiči pošli súrně scénu vole hej treska horalka drevokocúr!"

2016-07-24, 15:25:34
Reply #104

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
or "popiči pošli súrně scénu vole hej treska horalka drevokocúr!"

Now that's a true inter-slavic :- D

2018-09-17, 15:36:35
Reply #105

onehandisbroken

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Reminds me of that house in the Black Mirror episode "Crocodile". Stunning renders!