Author Topic: Coat layer  (Read 1861 times)

2018-10-08, 11:01:41

robpayne

• Active Users
    • View Profile
A coat layer would be great (similar to Disney BRDF) for more advanced specular layering.

2018-10-08, 12:26:35
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
It was requested at least 100 times :- ) Cast your vote also in most requested features thread so this gets more drive.

There's many of us who want more advanced and convenient shader for long time.

I think it's close to three years since principled shader like DisneyPRX was requested. I hope it will come sooner than later (or never).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-10-09, 19:16:53
Reply #2

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
In the meantime you can simply use a layered material and blend it by a falloff/fresnel curve.

2018-10-09, 19:29:37
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
What would be nice, is if the coat would be part of BRDF. Then it would give the look you can currently achieve only by physically applying coat material separately to shell mesh on top your regular mesh. The inter-reflection and grazing intensity is very different and makes a big difference for car paint.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-10-10, 14:34:47
Reply #4

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
A coat layer would be great (similar to Disney BRDF) for more advanced specular layering.

Iray had the coat layer and I confirm is something very cool.
I think you can do something similar in Corona by mixing 2 materials with a falloff map.
Obviously, having the parameters already there, waiting for you in the main shader would be much better.

Dionysios -

2018-10-12, 19:21:11
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
If that helps in any way, Corona supports the 3ds Max "Physical Material", which has a clearcoat parameter in it.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us