Author Topic: Plugging Quixel maps into Corona  (Read 1491 times)

2019-05-16, 17:06:55

actrask

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • actrask.com
I can't find a straight forward explanation of where Quixel maps are supposed to go in a Corona material.

Here is what I understand and don't:

Albedo - diffuse
AO - multiply over diffuse if needed
Bump - additional bump
Cavity - ??
Displacement - displacement
Gloss - gloss
Normal - bump
Roughness - ?? (works as gloss if inverted)
Specular - reflection?

Sometimes there is a "metallic" map, where does that go?

This is an interesting thread but it's hard for me to parse: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,10436.0.html. There is a .zip attachment in that thread that has "Corona.jxs" and "Corona.xml" in it, what are those for?

Let me know if there are other guides for Quixel and Corona workflows that I missed, thanks!

2019-05-16, 19:35:53
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
For Corona use, you don't need all the maps that quixel generates. What you need, is:

• Albedo->Diffuse
  • Glossiness->Reflection glossiness
  • Normal->CoronaNormal(Normal map)->Bump
  • Bump->CoronaNormal(Additional bump)->Bump (optional)
  • Displacement->Displacement

You may also multiply AO with albedo, if you feel that you want more contrast (not recommended). Cavity And AO also can be used as masks to add additional grunge to your material. Other maps are not needed.

P.S. don't forget that albedo map should be loaded with automatic gamma, but all the other maps should be loaded with gamma 1.0
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-05-16, 19:45:08
Reply #2

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
What you described is for a dielectric material. For a metallic material, albedo goes into the reflection colour and diffuse is black. Then the metal mask (also known as metallic, metalness) mixes between the two materials (using a layered material).

2019-05-17, 15:44:33
Reply #3

John.McWaters

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JohnMcWaters.com
What you described is for a dielectric material. For a metallic material, albedo goes into the reflection colour and diffuse is black. Then the metal mask (also known as metallic, metalness) mixes between the two materials (using a layered material).

Can you please elaborate on this more? When you say the metallic map mixes between the two, how do you set that up? I thought the metalness map was plugged into the fresnel input.

I wish there were better naming conventions for maps because nearly every source for high quality textures uses slightly different naming conventions.

2019-05-17, 18:56:07
Reply #4

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=21481.msg132457#msg132457

Though since that post, the IOR value in a Corona material is now able to go well above one. So you don't need that disableIOR node anymore, just enter in a value of '99999' for the IOR of the metallic layer material.

The two falloff maps used in the reflection colour and glossiness are weighted exponentially to the right. So the curve would start low, then only ramp up close to the right side (I can't post a screenshot of the curve because I am at work).