Author Topic: Megascans Plants  (Read 628 times)

2023-01-07, 14:46:37

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So I've just downloaded some plants from Megascans, nice to see them setup with the Physical Material - but I've spotted something that goes against everything I thought I knew so far.

I was always under the impression, from multiple sources, that leaves generally had quite a dark albedo, and then a much brighter translucency colour.  However, the first asset I've checked is the opposite.  The translucency is much darker than the albedo ...

Does anyone know why this would be?  Could it just be that this asset just so happens to be like that in reality?  Could it be wrong (I don't know how realiable megascans is with regards accuracy)?  Does anyone have better knowledge than me on how plants work in reality that can shed some light (clue: I have zero knowledge)?

2023-01-07, 15:25:55
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
To me albedo colour looks ok and translucency obviously way too dark. Maybe try to load it with gamma 1.0 - i saw couple megascan assets where they clearly saved some map with wrong gamma, maybe that's one of those cases?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-01-07, 19:33:02
Reply #2

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Oddly the translucency map is automatically loaded (Export via Bridge) with the gamma overridden as 1.  Most of the others are fine.  I'm assuming it's just one that doesn't translate well.  The darker areas on the translucency colour map are jet black, sampled at 0,0,0 so somethings off
« Last Edit: 2023-01-07, 20:56:10 by dj_buckley »

2023-01-09, 12:53:44
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
The most important question is whether the assets look "good" when rendered. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-01-09, 14:49:44
Reply #4

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No it looked rubbish.  It was the only one that wasn't right.  Either way, the plant models geometry on Megascans look a bit low quality anyway to me, not great for closeups that's for sure.

2023-01-09, 15:24:13
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
You can check textures.com, not so long ago someone in the gallery was showcasing stunning plant models from there.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures