Author Topic: Displacement Artifacts  (Read 1275 times)

2019-03-11, 10:58:50

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
Hi all,

I am trying to understand why I get each time the vertical artifacts you can see below in my example image.
It happens with any format, 32bit as well. The bitmap is a 8K resolution by the way. Even if I try to use a checker 3ds Max map, on the Z axis I get the same result.
The only workaround I found is to use a Blur offset 0.015 on the displacement map.

The Displ. Screen Size is set to 0.4 which is actually too high quality but doesn't help unfortunately.

I know that the maps should have some blur inside but I thought on pure black and white patterns the result should be much cleaner and high quality.

Any thoughts? Am I doing wrong something?

Thanks in advance,

Dionysios -

2019-03-11, 11:46:00
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
What you want to achieve, is nearly impossible with Corona displacement, because it triangulates mesh. In most cases that works well, but it fails when extreme gradients are involved. That has nothing to do with displacement map quality, because procedural maps, which are artefacts free and resolution independant, will give you the same bad result. It only depends on the steepness of gradient - the more sudden transition between black and white values in your map is, the harder it will be to achieve clean displacement in Corona. Decreasing displacement size and/or adding blur to the map will help, but not always that's possible. I think that your case might be good candidate for ditching corona displacement at all ant substitute it with 3ds max displace modifier. look at this video for example:

I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-03-11, 11:55:52
Reply #2

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
Thank you very much for confirming what I thought at the end!
I'll give a try the other method you suggested to me.  :)

Thanks again Romullus.

Dionysios -