Author Topic: Denoise value override for certain objects/materials  (Read 2617 times)

2016-11-13, 13:16:57

Jakubie

• Users
    • View Profile
It seems that denoising is not working very well with foliage (or many small scattered objects). Denoising make foliage look flat and blurry. In other hand it works great with objects like walls.
Therefore I'd love to have option to set different denoising values for some objects. Maybe it should work as material override, maybe as object override, or maybe both. But putting this setting to material seems better in my opinion.
For example, I usually use denoise value of 0.6, but I want some walls to have denoising vaule of about 0.8 and grass/trees set to 0.2 or 0.
It seems that somebody already had similar proposal:
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,13127.0.html
But I think that having only on/off option is not enough. Setting certain value would be extra nice.

2016-11-13, 19:01:46
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
The way to achieve this at present is to create separate Beauty render elements, each with a different Denoise value - you can then add in the relevant masks as render elements, to create passes to use as masks to blend between the different denoising levels in post. It's mentioned in the denoise video tutorial, I just happened to paint the mask manually there, but rendered masks will be the way to go in this case for "per object" denoising levels I would say!

https://youtu.be/v4fZojsjGpQ?t=5m4s
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2016-11-13, 20:04:10
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
It would be nice that upcoming Corona post processing app would have such feature: load .cexr with masking ID pass, then pick/select colour range and set desired amount of denoising.

Anyway, i really hope that proposed per material or per object denoising overrides won't make into Corona. That is not good idea IMHO.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures