Author Topic: iRay vs Octane vs Corona (for Max)  (Read 20314 times)

2014-04-12, 21:02:18

robo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No doubt Corona is awesome and can't wait for some of the upcoming features.
However, I'm wondering if anybody who's used/tested all the various unbiased renders out there and
can briefly lay out their advantage.

And I'm talking mostly about speed and quality for mostly Arch Viz and product renderings, because I've no doubt no doubt
that features like fur, active shade use etc. will be added to Corona.

Ok, go! :)

2014-04-12, 21:11:34
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
!
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2014-04-12, 22:10:56
Reply #2

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
It's really easy equation:

Corona>Octane>Iray

2014-04-13, 00:38:28
Reply #3

robo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Serious question, dunno why it's so strange to ask..
In theory one unbiased physically accurate renderer should get the same results and
since it has very little setup (and I excluded advanced options), what's left is speed in real world usage.

It's really easy equation:

Corona>Octane>Iray

Why?
Do you have some measurable comparisons?

I  only briefly tried iRay and already love Corona and ready to use this for all arch viz in the future but would love to see/hear
a comparison in speed or otherwise from somebody who tried some/all of these.

So no, no trolling.

2014-04-13, 09:42:54
Reply #6

gabrielefx

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,
I'm an active Octane for Max user.
I own Vray RT, Arion and Thea license.

I use professionally Octane 24/7, I have 12 gpus
You can't compare Corona with the gpu renderers.

If you do animations the best solution is Octane, you scrub the timeline and you get realtime results. With 4 Titans you can handle medium complex scenes with many instances.

For still life Vray rt, Thea, Arion, iRay and Octane are good tools but on really complex scenes Corona is the winner.

With gpus you must pay attention with textures. With GTX Titans you can't have more than 144 rgb textures.

I think that Ondra is working on the rt feature but I guess that the gpu is the only processor that can handle in real time many 3d raytraced polygons.
Keyshot is a good example on how use all the cpu power for realtime manipulation. It runs fast because it works in a standalone application.

The goal would be to have the Octane/Keyshot interactive speed using Corona.

regards
« Last Edit: 2014-04-13, 09:47:35 by gabrielefx »

2014-04-15, 07:11:23
Reply #7

robo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks, interesting to hear from a heavy user.

I don't have 12 or even 4 Titans though :( haha and
have tried Keyshot (best for industrial design product shots imo) but what I miss is the old trusty Max/Maya
workflow, interface and flexibility and speed during work (try working on a heavy scene, even in performance mode, in Keyshot it's slow on my
workstation and laptop i5/i7).

I'm sticking to Corona and only thing is figuring out what scenes are maybe best done with Mentalray/vRay setups.
1 Titan is in the planning btw..not nearly enough to run any unbiased render with scenes showing (near) finished results in seconds but
definitely an improvement from what I have now.

2014-04-15, 10:15:06
Reply #8

zzubnik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I use iray professionally. It is a great renderer. Corona is a better tool, and is far more usable.

iray has that great iray material though. That really is a great tool which I miss with Corona. It's quick and easy to get exactly what I want with it.

2014-04-16, 03:35:24
Reply #9

Dom74

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm using Octane too (and Corona obviously), with 1 Titan and  1 GTX 780TI in the same machine, it's a really cool and easy renderer, but I must say Corona is faster
to converge (with a I3930K@4Ghz), and there are some basic functions missing in Octane ( no region render, No sun mixed with HDRI, etc...).
Corona is much more developed and very powerful and easy to use, but the fact is that it is easier to increase the number GPU in a standard PC than to have more than one CPU on a motherboard.
And Iray is gently dozing on his side...

2014-04-22, 05:46:54
Reply #10

robo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Interesting to hear some different viewpoints.

I want asap switch to Corona and learn everything to get the best and fastest renders out of it.

For now however, I'm using iRay as well actually, simply because I need certain scenes and animations rendered with a renderfarm
and my favourite most cost effective one doesn't support Corona..yet (I might try Rebus soon, as they do support it since
recently).

And Iray is gently dozing on his side...

Haha it seems like that.
A shame I think, because it's shipped with Max and in recent years it's become clear people are interested
in unbiased renders.
Well, it has given the opportunity to a great renderer like Corona :)

2014-04-22, 11:13:53
Reply #11

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
which renderfarm is that? Just write them to install corona, I doubt they will want to stay behind rebus, fox and others ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-04-22, 17:57:46
Reply #12

robo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
which renderfarm is that? Just write them to install corona, I doubt they will want to stay behind rebus, fox and others ;)

My thoughts exactly, which is why I contacted them :P

It's Garagefarm.net
Last time I heard they were going to contact to ask about licenses for them to use it.

Hope it comes sooooon!