Author Topic: System units and Global Illumination  (Read 3228 times)

2014-02-04, 15:36:12

art-MIXER

• Active Users
  • Design wizard
    • View Profile
    • Blog CGi
Hello everyone, I have a question - is there a difference in the calculation of global illumination by using different system unit ? For example, if the scene is constructed in centimeters and the same scene is built in millimeters , will result identical to the final image , both in time and in quality ? Thank you all in advance for your reply.
Design is magic

2014-02-04, 15:50:38
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
no, no difference
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-02-04, 16:10:28
Reply #2

art-MIXER

• Active Users
  • Design wizard
    • View Profile
    • Blog CGi
Thanks for the answer. What about converting materials if a switch to millimeters centimeters, the radius of influence AO becomes 10 times more. It's sure to affect the calculation of GI
Design is magic

2014-02-04, 16:12:17
Reply #3

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
of course, also DOF changes with scene scale. But that is changing the scene input description, so it is logical that you will get different result. I was thinking you were talking about things like speed, artifacts, noise, etc.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-02-04, 16:22:32
Reply #4

art-MIXER

• Active Users
  • Design wizard
    • View Profile
    • Blog CGi
Mostly I asked about it and - it was already passing second question)
Thanks for the clarification, just tortured me this question. I always convenient to design the interiors in millimeters, but what if somehow faster in centimeters or qualitative miscalculation. Now I am calm and I will work as before in millimeters.
Design is magic

2014-05-23, 13:30:35
Reply #5

Fibonacci

• Active Users
  • 3Dmanufaktura
    • View Profile
Why don't thinking in mm3 ? The mm is a bit too 2D !  ;D
Holy Corona : the materials is the clue.