Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 519852 times)

2019-03-29, 06:52:31
Reply #300

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
I've been through this entire thread twice, and I still can't make up my mind on which mobo to buy for two new 2990WX builds I am planning: Aorus Xtreme or MEG Creation.

I need help to decide! These machines will be rendering 24/7, they will not be used as a workstation, I doubt that I will even install a video card or anything more than a small HD in them. All I care about is sound pollution and getting the fastest speed possible with cooling.

2019-03-29, 16:27:43
Reply #301

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've been through this entire thread twice, and I still can't make up my mind on which mobo to buy for two new 2990WX builds I am planning: Aorus Xtreme or MEG Creation.

I need help to decide! These machines will be rendering 24/7, they will not be used as a workstation, I doubt that I will even install a video card or anything more than a small HD in them. All I care about is sound pollution and getting the fastest speed possible with cooling.

The MEG creation is the only board X399 board I'd buy if I was overclocking the 2990wx. Every other board's VRM configuration is woefully unequipped for the amount of power these processors require.

Can you hold off until September-ish? The new 7nm Threadrippers will be launching which will offer huge power/cooling benefits. And fingers crossed they'll up the core count to 48 or even 64 cores.
Vray who?

2019-03-29, 19:40:48
Reply #302

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
I would love to wait until September, but unfortunately I need to render the bulk of my short film over the next 6 months or so.

Thank you for your recommendation, I think that I will go for the MEG Creation then.

2019-04-01, 18:40:28
Reply #303

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Well, as an owner of MSI MEG, I can tell you the board is finally worry-free after like eternity of updates :- ). It was stable early for me but lot of other users experienced issues here and there (RAID,etc..). It's 100perc. ok now.

But you also mention that it's not going to be your workstation, and in such case it doesn't matter that much which board you'll get. Without over-clocking (or mild one) Aorus is just as good and comes with inbuilt 10gbit card, which is no small thing that saves 100 bucks and space on board. The VRM does need (or heavily benefits from) cooling (by very good airflow or fan pointed on it, ideally from back side too) though if water loop is used (like Peter Sanitra's build) or with Air cooler like Noctua which does it by itself partly you only need to tinker with clocks/voltage ratio to arrive at ideal compromise between speed and temps/noise (like Michal Timko's build later in thread).

I personally still suggest the MSI though. The over-built VRM brings additional peace of mind and simplicity esp. for 24/7 running. You can simply just count on it and you don't need to cool it or tinker around with anything.

The latest, ultra-overpriced addition to x399 family, Asus (Zenith) Alpha is basically like older Zenith but with better VRM cooling (the actual capacitators and configuration of them is absolutely the same, just 8 phases). If the price was better, it would be solid contender against Aorus, but with the price as it is, not so much.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-04-01, 19:47:21
Reply #304

JulioCayetano

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

We are building our new workstation, based on all the useful info we have been reading on this forum. I just wanted to give big thanks to all of you that have shared your experience on this long thread. We are going for the 2990wx partly because we are already happy with the last PC we built based with the 1950X and because of your positive feedback.

Our parts are these:

-MoBo: Gigabyte Aourus X399 Xtreme.
-AMD: Ryzen Threadripper 2990wx.
-RAM: 128gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2933 CL16
-Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C.
-CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3.
-PSU: Corsair AX1600i
-SSD: Samsung 970 Pro
-GPU: Old Nvidia Titan.

Our plan is to use it as a workstation during working hours, not only as a render machine. So I hope the speed in 3DsMAX, Photoshop, etc. will be decent. At least as good as the 1950X.   

I´d like to ask one question about the OS. I was gonna buy a new Windows 10 pro license, and I´ve noticed that now you have the option to buy a new version called: Windows 10 pro for Workstations. I don´t really undesrtand the extra features that they comment on the shop site, so I´m not sure if that new version is necessary for the kind of PC we´re building with the 2990wx. Have any of you bought such version? Any advantages for the kind of use we will give to our PC?

Thanks in advance

Julio

2019-04-01, 20:23:47
Reply #305

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The difference is it doesn't come with CandyCrush Saga :- ).

Currently it's just rebranded Enterprise that you can actually purchase as end-user. From the differences (Refs, non-volative memory support, up to 4x CPUs,...) none are actually applicable to you (or anyone here). It's possible...that in future Microsoft will cripple the Pro version so that Xeons will only work under Workstation/Enterprise edition, but it's not the case right now. And with Threadripper, it's moot argument anyway.

There is one superficial difference, the "ultra" energy mode, but you can actually unlock it on Pro version as well. I haven't noticed any difference by using it. (You can google the simple steps to unlock, it's 2 minute operation).

Just get (OEM/Volume) 10 Pro on ebay for 5 bucks. (Yes, grey market is absolutely 100perc. legal for buyer, in European Union it's not even grey )
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2019-04-01, 21:41:17
Reply #306

JulioCayetano

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Juraj,

Thanks a lot for your fast answer. Really useful for us.

I forgot to write that we´re not planning any overclock, or a very mild one via PBO system as I read in this thread that is a good and stable way of using more of the potential of the 2990wx. So, with Aourus Xtreme, Noctua cooler and that Define R6 case, we should have no problem with temps, right? I´m a bit concerned about cooling the VRM part, because I´ve never done it before. Could you please point me to any example or tutorial so I can have an idea of the process, what kind of fan and where/how to fix it to the case. Thanks a lot in advance.

Btw, I must say that I´m still laughing about the Cundy Crush Saga comment :D

2019-04-01, 22:06:17
Reply #307

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hi Juraj,

Thanks a lot for your fast answer. Really useful for us.

I forgot to write that we´re not planning any overclock, or a very mild one via PBO system as I read in this thread that is a good and stable way of using more of the potential of the 2990wx. So, with Aourus Xtreme, Noctua cooler and that Define R6 case, we should have no problem with temps, right? I´m a bit concerned about cooling the VRM part, because I´ve never done it before. Could you please point me to any example or tutorial so I can have an idea of the process, what kind of fan and where/how to fix it to the case. Thanks a lot in advance.

Btw, I must say that I´m still laughing about the Cundy Crush Saga comment :D

I am not aware sadly of any aftermarket ready to use VRM cooling solution. People just point fan onto it using some hand-made solution usually.  Good case air-flow is quite sufficient as long as the over-clock is mild (using PBO it has to be as you won't be tinkering with voltage manually). R6 is perfect case and the best airflow is if you remove the top (and mount fans), although that removes the accoustic benefit of the case.

On Aorus, removing the plastic cover helps in airflow (there are tiny 40mm fans underneath, I wonder how loud are they. You could probably swap those for Noctua versions if it would be the case).

2019-04-02, 01:00:41
Reply #308

JulioCayetano

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks again for the info. Very useful again.

I´ll certainly try to take that plastic cover off and check those tiny fans.

About the case airflow, and maybe this is stupid question, you mean mounting fans on the top pointing upwards, to pull the hot air out of the case, right? Thanks

2019-04-02, 01:14:06
Reply #309

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yes exactly, the top ones are almost exclusively used as exhaust fans (pulling direction out of case). Because you have nVidia Titan, which is blower style GPU (it pushes hot air out of the case instead of inside like after-market versions), you don't need to sweat the airflow too much but of course it never hurts to improve it :- ).

For Define R6, best accoustics but worse temperatures is top closed. Good compromise in accoustics/temps is top opened but no fans populated and best temperatures/airflow but worse accoustics is top open and populated with exhaust fans.

If you decide to populate the top with two exhaust fans, put two more fan on the bottom as well. This is so you keep positive pressure balance inside case to avoid dust build-up.
(If this sounds like too many fans, they can run at lower speed, the noise will be coming from fans mounted on CPU heatsink (U14S) anyway since those will spin fastest.)

2019-04-02, 01:38:43
Reply #310

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
Well, as an owner of MSI MEG, I can tell you the board is finally worry-free after like eternity of updates :- ). It was stable early for me but...

Thanks again for your time in writing this :D

2019-04-02, 02:45:22
Reply #311

nikomo

• Users
    • View Profile
Hello
i had 2 memory dimms of DDR 4 kingston hyper-x 2133 16gb from my old setup, decieded to buy 2990wx + MSI x399 creation, saw many rewievs that this combination works well.
the setup i got:
- MSI MEG x399 CREATION
- AMD Threadripper 2990WX
- PSU Seasonic Prime Titanum 850W (saw videos where this setup works even with 550W psu)
- Cooling - Cooler Master Wraith Ripper
- 2x16 Kingston Hyper-X Fury Red 2133 (old, but worked well on previous setup)
- SSD for OS - samsung evo 970 250 gb
- Video - 1050ti
I flashed latest BIOS, installed fresh windows, all motherboard drivers, installed RYZEN master, set power mode balanced for ryzen amd.
After that decieded to run some tests, and i saw that all of benchmarks showed very low results, and every time i try it shows another result.
In corona benchmark i got from 1 minute to 2 minutes. Rays per second jump from 3 millions to 6 millions, every run - different amount.
In cinebench R15 i got 3200 (very low)
Cpu-z 1.88 bench shows 17000
When loaded i can hear high squeaky noise (like phone charger)
I also tried to work in usual 3ds max scene, when i start interactive render, whole computer starts lagging (feels like throttling, but its running on 55 degrees C, 3400 all cores)
Usual rendering is also very slow
This is my first AMD processor, and i didn't touch anything in BIOS (except from FAN profile)
Please can someone tell me what am i doing wrong?
Watched million videos/read number of threads, works well for anyone except me.
Attaching all tests i did
« Last Edit: 2019-04-02, 03:12:55 by nikomo »

2019-04-02, 06:39:22
Reply #312

tallbox

• Active Users
  • George Nicola
    • View Profile
    • Architectural Visualizations | TALLBOX
Hello
i had 2 memory dimms of DDR 4 kingston hyper-x 2133 16gb from my old setup, decieded to buy 2990wx + MSI x399 creation, saw many rewievs that this combination works well.
the setup i got:
- MSI MEG x399 CREATION
- AMD Threadripper 2990WX
- PSU Seasonic Prime Titanum 850W (saw videos where this setup works even with 550W psu)
- Cooling - Cooler Master Wraith Ripper
- 2x16 Kingston Hyper-X Fury Red 2133 (old, but worked well on previous setup)
- SSD for OS - samsung evo 970 250 gb
- Video - 1050ti
I flashed latest BIOS, installed fresh windows, all motherboard drivers, installed RYZEN master, set power mode balanced for ryzen amd.
After that decieded to run some tests, and i saw that all of benchmarks showed very low results, and every time i try it shows another result.
In corona benchmark i got from 1 minute to 2 minutes. Rays per second jump from 3 millions to 6 millions, every run - different amount.
In cinebench R15 i got 3200 (very low)
Cpu-z 1.88 bench shows 17000
When loaded i can hear high squeaky noise (like phone charger)
I also tried to work in usual 3ds max scene, when i start interactive render, whole computer starts lagging (feels like throttling, but its running on 55 degrees C, 3400 all cores)
Usual rendering is also very slow
This is my first AMD processor, and i didn't touch anything in BIOS (except from FAN profile)
Please can someone tell me what am i doing wrong?
Watched million videos/read number of threads, works well for anyone except me.
Attaching all tests i did

This looks like your system is throttling by some reason (maybe the Wraith Ripper, not sure). The Ryzen Master does not show real temperatures. Download HWinfo x64 and check there. It might be the case the CPU reaches 116-119 degrees, which was the problem with my CPU last week. I had to upgrade to full custom water cooling because the AIO pump wasn't enough to support a clock of 3.6ghz. (heat wise) In my case I was reaching 5200 points on Cinebench R15 but with corona was between 43 and 49 seconds (more trials = more heat = less efficiency)
« Last Edit: 2019-04-02, 06:43:42 by tallbox »
Architectural Visualizations / Deep work practitioner
https://www.tallboxdesign.com

2019-04-02, 09:47:56
Reply #313

diffuus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You should use 4 sticks of DDR4 instead of 2.
TR is a quad channel design, so you basically limits its power to half by using dual channel memory.

2019-04-02, 13:03:59
Reply #314

nikomo

• Users
    • View Profile
You should use 4 sticks of DDR4 instead of 2.
TR is a quad channel design, so you basically limits its power to half by using dual channel memory.
Ok, should i buy new 4x8 set of faster ram, or do i just add another 2 dimms of the same ram i have(2133 kingston hyperx)?