Author Topic: 3ds max and opening files  (Read 6411 times)

2017-03-08, 10:08:16

DarcTheo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Didn't know where to post as it's a help related topic but not about Corona.

3DS Max keeps causing problems with opening files. One PC in the office has trouble opening the files the following day but all other machines can open them. Everyone is on the same version of Max and if another PC opens the file and resaves its fine for the troublesome PC to then open the file and then open the previous file as well. garbage collector doesn't seem to clear the problem or help.

I find max related forums to be useless for help from past experience and people here are much more helpful. Has anyone run into problems like this?

2017-03-08, 10:28:20
Reply #1

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
can you explain more about details of the problems occurred? the error messages? screenshot?
i have one experience: check your startup scripts, maybe there is a script run file preopen callback and the function isn't healthy and potentially caused the trouble.

2017-03-08, 10:31:27
Reply #2

DarcTheo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
so there are no errors, it just goes to not responding and freezes. it gets to the point where it splits the view port into how the file was setup, usually 2 view ports. but then it just hangs and never opens. soon as you try to do something it crashes and closes.

ask someone else to open the file and it opens fine. they save the file as a +1. open that file and its fine on the problematic pc. then open the older file and thats fine too.

2017-03-08, 14:12:47
Reply #3

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
Wow.. that sounds so creepy and butthurts.
Does it happens to every max file? Even in simpler scene? if reinstalling 3dsmax doesnt solve the problem, try to create new user in windows and run the brand new reinstalled max. I solved a software problem long time ago with this methods but not 3dsmax related.

2017-03-08, 15:50:37
Reply #4

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Do you use file compression by any chance on the problematic pc? This has been regulary the cause of (sometimes random) freezes while loading since .... err... ever :), especially when used in Xref files.

And creating a minidump at freezing time and attaching it here maybe entrap some developer to quickly look at it in a boring lunch hour?

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2017-03-08, 15:53:38
Reply #5

DarcTheo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Do you use file compression by any chance on the problematic pc? This has been regulary the cause of (sometimes random) freezes while loading since .... err... ever :), especially when used in Xref files.

And creating a minidump at freezing time and attaching it here maybe entrap some developer to quickly look at it in a boring lunch hour?

Good Luck

we do use compression! mostly because of rebus. Compression is used on all the PCs though. I always forget to collect minidumps after a crash. Is there anything I can do to stop this other than turning compression off?

2017-03-08, 16:19:57
Reply #6

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Is there anything I can do to stop this other than turning compression off?

Not that I am aware of. But this was just a shot in the dark and as I understand file compression is activated in every of your Max installs so the patient always gets compressed files. Hmm, I would try the minidump.

Good luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2017-03-08, 19:51:46
Reply #7

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
Yup, the minidump is the best way to read what was really happening in max when tje problems comes to crash and freezes. I believe users here would like to help (Frood) and even corona team even though its not directly corona related :)

2017-03-09, 11:35:45
Reply #8

DarcTheo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yup, the minidump is the best way to read what was really happening in max when tje problems comes to crash and freezes. I believe users here would like to help (Frood) and even corona team even though its not directly corona related :)

was planning on posting one today when i got to work...opened the file fine. typical! :)

2018-04-20, 10:43:26
Reply #9

Giorgos Zacharioudakis

• Active Users
  • CG Artist at 500s studio
    • View Profile
    • 500s studio
I am having the same problem, one workstation opens the file in 30 sec and other freezes or it opens after 1-2 hour (rarely).
Did anybody found a workaround? I have already formatted the workstation and dint help..
Forming digital canvas with geometries shaped with lights, traveling the viewer’s mind through time and space.

2018-04-20, 11:39:24
Reply #10

DarcTheo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am having the same problem, one workstation opens the file in 30 sec and other freezes or it opens after 1-2 hour (rarely).
Did anybody found a workaround? I have already formatted the workstation and dint help..

We stopped using compressed saves. its now only during heavy network uses that it may freeze and take a while to open.

2018-04-26, 18:02:00
Reply #11

bulyfabi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • 128hi Studio
Did anybody found a workaround?

I have the same exact problem with max 2016 latest service pack...
My only workaround is trying different ways to open the file.
1. Open from file eplorer directly
2. open max -> open from recent projects tab.
3. Max tab -> open file
4. Which works best for me. (It's like starting an old diesel car in the winter) First open an an easy 10 - 20mb file to "warm up max" an then open the project I'm working on.. :D It's just ridiculous but it works.

Also a good way to clean up some mess is go to Max tab -> New -> Keep Objects and Hierarchy ->resave. I'm not expert but it's always looses few mb of something.

2018-04-30, 08:54:28
Reply #12

Giorgos Zacharioudakis

• Active Users
  • CG Artist at 500s studio
    • View Profile
    • 500s studio
I saw some improvement with compressed saves.
So, propably something has ti do with the network adapter.
Thank you for your replies!
Forming digital canvas with geometries shaped with lights, traveling the viewer’s mind through time and space.