Author Topic: Daily Builds 1.6  (Read 133399 times)

2016-11-16, 15:43:01
Reply #150

moriah

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I already had the chance to try it and it's not as good as VrayTriplanar, with the random offset/rotation/axis transforms it has per object. Please, if you have it working, finish it and implement it so it also works with other 3dsmax versions and potentially other DCC apps corona is in.
« Last Edit: 2016-11-16, 15:53:18 by moriah »

2016-11-16, 16:26:40
Reply #151

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
AFAIK it will not be a Corona feature. It's now added in the 3ds Max update.

I really hope it's not official :[

Damn Autodesk, they wait 10 years to implement trivial feature and then manage to release it at the most improper time :/
Haha, probably autodesk heard ondra said this
update: autodesk is taking ages to release triplanar, so we will do it in 1.6. We have it already working internally, will be in daily builds next week maybe
And then their dev team agreed to "lets mess ondra's works"

2016-11-16, 17:09:38
Reply #152

antanas

• Active Users
  • Hmm ...
    • View Profile
Speaking of improving and stabilizing - there is one thing which bothers me for quite a while.....
Could you send us instructions how to reproduce this? You could contact us about this at https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new

I read your post, but still did not understand fully what was done here, and how to reproduce this. Just two guesses:
1. Maybe it has something to do with the wrong UHD Cache settings in 1.5? Have you tried this in 1.5.2? ("reset settings" in scene setup is required for the UHD Cache to work correct if the scene was previously saved with wrong settings!)
2. Did you drastically increase or decrease light intensities in LightMix? If so, then this is expected. LightMix should be used mainly to change lights' color, or to change their intensity only subtly.

Hi Maru, well, the easiest way to reproduce it would be to download those scenes I attached to that post, there are both default sun and sky value one and the one with lowered ones but every (and I mean every scene not necessarily made by me))  exterior + interior scene with lights setup using the real world values which manufacturers often provide would be good for that test too
1. I would suggest it's not a bug at all + it has been there for ages, it's just that it's easier to see it now because of the lighmix being added. So to make it as clear as I can - that's not some corona version specific bug but rather a way corona's gi currently works, giving some sort of sampling priorities to the brighter light sources so and sun and sky being way brighter than the others (usually 1000times brighter than the rest of the physically plausible setup light source) leads to that all the time, but even if i'm wrong and it is a bug, then it was present in all prior corona versions too, but I've been able to spot it clearly only when the first pre 1.5 lighmix containing builds showed up and of course it is present in 1.5 , 1.5.1 , 1.5.2 and even in that early 1.6 daily.
quote "reset settings" in scene setup is required for the UHD Cache to work correct if the scene was previously saved with wrong settings!" did that too, even if I did that after doing those tests on both 1.5.1 and early 1.6 - no difference there, as this is most probably not UHD cache related thing at all, although after resetting, it sure did a better job on those splotches in the corners of that "room", even way better than setting uhd precision to 10 in the previous builds which I actually had to do when doing those tests, but still, it does not effect that patch tracer produced noise at all.
2. well I had decreased sun and sky's values in lightmix to get some sort of decent sunlinght intensity without lowering exposure (which would kind of ruin the test's purpose) and increased those when doing test with lowered sun&sky values to compensate for that initial intensity decrease and of course set sun's pass to 0 and decreased sky value and added some dark blue color to it in both cases to get those night like renders. If I didn't completely misused the lighmix the whole time )) it is imo the whole point of using it, well, to get those nice night\evening with artificial light and day (without the one) renders out of a single render ) Still decreasing or increasing lighmix channel values does not effect the noise amount at all + I rendered all of them with the beauty pass active if that makes any difference at all + I think there should be any difference either as if I got it right the lighmix is kind of more like mixing different layers in photoshop than anything else right now so there should be no impact on any kind of sampling and only the initial light source intensity does have that impact there which the test proves quite nicely, well of course, if I wasn't completely stupid and did some incredibly stupid mistakes in the whole overthinking of that process )) Well you surely begin to see some "undercooked" layers when you lower the lighmix value for some bright light source which otherwise obscures the rest of the not as bright ones thus masking their noise but that was the whole point of that test - to see how the changes in the initial brightness values of the sun and sky (not the ones set in lighmix but the "real" ones)) effect the gi sampling in general.

So trying to sum it up - decreasing the initial (pre render not lighmix's) intensity values of corona's sun and sky to somewhere around 0.01 can have great benefit for the sampling of interior lights when render is done from the outside of that building model which is especially apparent when there's some glass in windows etc. , thus, greatly increasing the noise coming from those interior light sources cleaning speed in such type of the scenes. It can be seen only when one is doing some lighmix adjustments to the initially daylight+sun lit renders making those renders to represent different lighting conditions afterwards, namely doing some night or the evening type of lighting, if there are no interior lights or if the sun and sky values were initially set to represent the night\evening scene there's no difference at all which is kind of expected.
 And finally, to better illustrate the benefit of that trick\needed tweak of corona's PT gi system I post the first results I got using that technique on a production scene I worked on earlier. Those tests with a room full of teapots, what I posted before, were done after these in hopes of clarifying\proving that benefit in a "clean" and more or less controlled scene. So here goes:

1 the render using default values of corona sun and sky which rendered for around 45 minutes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/119850875@N05/31027982325/in/datetaken-public/ - daylight lighmix preset
https://www.flickr.com/photos/119850875@N05/30725862970/in/datetaken-public/ - night lightmix preset - notice the ugly noise inside the interior which didn't go away even after I rendered some region of affected area for additional time almost doubling the pass count for that part
https://www.flickr.com/photos/119850875@N05/30991942826/in/datetaken-public/ - sampling focus pass for that one

2 the same scene with slight adjustments with some additional exterior light fixtures and slightly different view angle (nothing else changed and I doubt that adding those 2 lights would benefit the render speed at all, well, this scene was not intended for testing purposes so you know how it goes) rendered using lowered to 0.01 sun and sky values for around 15-20 minutes (pay attention to that)) when bringing those values up back using only lighmix after the render was stopped.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/119850875@N05/31027971085/in/datetaken-public/ - daylight lightmix preset
https://www.flickr.com/photos/119850875@N05/25391535069/in/datetaken-public/ - night lightmix preset - notice the ugly interior noise gone ))
https://www.flickr.com/photos/119850875@N05/30726015030/in/datetaken-public/ - dusk\evening lighmix preset, just for the sake of it )
https://www.flickr.com/photos/119850875@N05/30992083856/in/datetaken-public/ - sampling focus pass for that one

So you can easily see why am I so agitated by my findings and if those can be proven and reproduced by someone else it could mean what some slight adjustments to corona's gi behavior could make it much (can't calculate how much but A LOT) faster than it currently is when dealing with such a scenes. To make things better, daylight + artificial light interior scenes like this benefit from this trick as well when rendered from inside the interior itself, yet I have no images to prove it cause I hadn't done some specific test for those and the one's I have rendered were done on that same production scene after using that trick, but the interior itself was changed quite a bit since the times I rendered the same views without this trick, sadly have no time to do more tests right now but still it would be good if anyone could reproduce it, well at least to prove what I haven't gone mad completely ))

« Last Edit: 2016-11-16, 18:27:06 by antanas »

2016-11-18, 22:32:27
Reply #153

scionik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
could you please Add Corona toolbar for CoronaScater, CoronaProxy, CoronaLightLister... and RENDER button "Interactive" (I mean I need click many menus to begin interactive rendering)

2016-11-18, 22:45:41
Reply #154

blank...

• Active Users
    • View Profile
(I mean I need click many menus to begin interactive rendering)

F10, render interactive. Where are all those menus?

2016-11-18, 23:20:24
Reply #155

scionik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
F10 > move mouse over Scene tab and click > move mouse over (look between texts cause 4 wide thin visualy the same buttons) Start interactive and click

but... ICON (ergonomic and visual form/color feedback) on toolbar... just move mouse over and click

2016-11-18, 23:50:01
Reply #156

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
What about opening the MaxScript listener window, typing "CoronaRenderer.CoronaFp.startInteractive()", selecting the line and dragging it to a toolbar of your choice? Select a neat icon for your new button afterwards.

You have to create a framebuffer first though (render standard/interactive once). Would be nice if  this could be done automatically by the call, same for CoronaRenderer.CoronaFp.showVfb().

And as for a light lister I cannot stop to recommend this:

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/lightlister

It handles Corona lights as well as CoronaLightMaterial and self illumination including the option to select from scene or edit material.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2016-11-19, 06:57:29
Reply #157

scionik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thanks for scripts. but
1) Im not a programmer and "CoronaRenderer.CoronaFp.startInteractive()" line... I dont understand it. (please dont tell me thats so easy )))) )
2) I dont allow to external scripts ... today its free... tomorrow buy... some day later its gone.

2016-11-19, 21:02:36
Reply #158

pdaniun

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
CoronaRenderer.CoronaFp.startInteractive() - works great, thanks.
But CoronaRenderer.CoronaFp.showVfb() - throws an error (expected 1 got 0), so how do I make a button that shows the VFB?

2016-11-20, 08:35:17
Reply #159

Cheesemsmsm

• Active Users
    • View Profile
CoronaRenderer.CoronaFp.startInteractive() - works great, thanks.
But CoronaRenderer.CoronaFp.showVfb() - throws an error (expected 1 got 0), so how do I make a button that shows the VFB?

CoronaRenderer.CoronaFp.showVfb(true)

could you please Add Corona toolbar for CoronaScater, CoronaProxy, CoronaLightLister... and RENDER button "Interactive" (I mean I need click many menus to begin interactive rendering)

I agree with this guy. Corona should have an official toolbar. Not everyone knows how to use the scripts. It's not necessary but it would make our life much easier.
Please consider about it.
« Last Edit: 2016-11-20, 08:48:18 by Cheesemsmsm »

2016-11-21, 08:37:59
Reply #160

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
1) Im not a programmer and "CoronaRenderer.CoronaFp.startInteractive()" line... I dont understand it. (please dont tell me thats so easy )))) )

You don´t need to understand it or have to be a programmer, just do it: Open the MaxScritpListener (that area in the bottom left of your screen), press right mouse button -> "Open Listener Window". Then paste the above into the window, select the complete pasted line and drag it to a toolbar. If that´s not easy ;)

As for the LightLister - Your problem. None of your arguments are true in this case, it´s not even encrypted.

Good Luck

2016-11-21, 12:02:48
Reply #161

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
But CoronaRenderer.CoronaFp.showVfb() - throws an error (expected 1 got 0)

Sorry, this was not meant to be a usable "script", I just referred to the function name more into the development direction :)

We need either a separate function to create a basic framebuffer or to make at least startInteractive() behave like the corresponding button in the UI (which creates one if not present) to make both work as a simple button without confusion.

Good Luck

2016-11-23, 11:58:41
Reply #162

snakebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Snakebox Media
I know it takes time, but I'm really curious what has changed in the new daily build?  since its been a while since the last one.  Though we don't seem to have a changelog yet? :D 

2016-11-23, 12:59:24
Reply #163

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I know it takes time, but I'm really curious what has changed in the new daily build?  since its been a while since the last one.  Though we don't seem to have a changelog yet? :D
Changelog for the upcoming daily. It was not released yet as we need to fix some slowdowns in some scenes and stabilize the new features + we are currently dealing with a ton of other stuff.

Bug fixes
Speed improvements
  • LUT parsing speedup: 3-5 times faster
  • Around 20% faster bloom & glare computations using 16-bit floats on computers supporting F16C instruction set extension (Intel Ivy Bridge and later). This should have no effect on the visual quality, but can be disabled in devel/experimental rollout in case of any problems.
  • Significantly improved sampling of HDR environment maps with significant contrast (for example with baked-in sun). Renders with HDRI should now have up to half the noise for same rendertime.
Remove fireflies denoising mode now works for render elements
Lowered memory requirements of denoising render elements
Denoised render elements elements are now displayed as soon as ready, one-by-one - corona no longer waits until all denoised elements are computed
Added new render stamp variables: corona build name (%bn), preprocessing time (%ptp), number of CPU threads (%ct)
LUTs no longer clamp overbright values, instead they extrapolate
System-wide settings are now versioned to rule out conflicts when changing between daily builds and stable version
CoronaBitmap bump mapping now works outside of Corona
Updated the scatter lister script to 1.01
  • Added a version number to the header of the program
  • Lister window now resizes to be high just enough for all the scatters to fit, saving space.
  • Fixed crashes when instancing and referencing scatters (Lister now shows both instances).
  • Minor bug fixes and performance increases.
Added curve color mapping controls
Added stereo perspective camera
Added Corona triplanar (blended box) texture

UI
  • Fixed glitch in CoronaMtl UI
  • Added taskbar progress bar to 3dsmax during rendering
  • Added tooltips to Corona Color Picker
  • Skinned checkboxes in Corona VFB
  • Changed maximum value of mtl editor quality to 50
  • Opacity cutout/clip checkbox in CoronaMtl changed to be off by default
  • Long dropdowns in VFB render passes select are no longer clipped by the bottom end of VFB window
  • Flip green checkbox in CoronaNormal is now on by default
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-11-23, 13:24:12
Reply #164

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
wow what a list... great stuff.

"Added stereo perspective camera"

Can you go into a bit more detail on this one?
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com