Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] Feature Requests

The most wanted feature?

<< < (209/231) > >>

TomG:
Render times are really good, because these are not true volumes in the 3D scene. Going from the experience on V-Ray, adding a few clouds makes no noticeable difference compared to an empty sky, but if you make it super cloudy and have ground shadows you may notice a slight impact on render times (still nothing compared to adding OpenVDB or VolumeMtl clouds though!) You can basically activate these whenever you like without being concerned about render time impact (of course, still waiting to test this in Corona myself, but I can't imagine it would be THAT different from the V-Ray situation).

piotrus3333:
clouds are basically from Enscape so quite fast indeed.

romullus:

--- Quote from: maru on 2022-08-04, 17:07:55 ---Like this?

disclaimer: early prototype ;)

--- End quote ---

C'mon man, show us the renders, not the photos from your phone :]

lupaz:

--- Quote from: TomG on 2022-08-04, 18:53:59 ---Render times are really good, because these are not true volumes in the 3D scene. Going from the experience on V-Ray, adding a few clouds makes no noticeable difference compared to an empty sky, but if you make it super cloudy and have ground shadows you may notice a slight impact on render times (still nothing compared to adding OpenVDB or VolumeMtl clouds though!) You can basically activate these whenever you like without being concerned about render time impact (of course, still waiting to test this in Corona myself, but I can't imagine it would be THAT different from the V-Ray situation).

--- End quote ---

Awesome. I won't wish I had Dreamscape anymore.

Ondra:

--- Quote from: aaouviz on 2022-08-04, 17:49:32 ---If you don't mind I'd like to ask an under-the-hood question...

--- End quote ---

not at all ;)

--- Quote from: aaouviz on 2022-08-04, 17:49:32 ---In instances like this, where Corona is adopting a v-ray feature (enmesh is another example, improved sky is another but from Corona->Vray) is the code re-written entirely? Or is it somehow copied across?

--- End quote ---

Could be 0 - 100% depending on feature.

Enmesh/Pattern was developed pretty much independently because of what the feature is - the major part of the feature is the infrastructure connecting it to the renderer. The pattern itself is relatively simple render-time instancing, but connecting it with everything else is tricky. No code reuse was possible here. Also the Corona version was finished at the same time as VRay, not after.

In case of clouds the major part of the feature was easy to adopt, so using VRay code here helped massively.

--- Quote from: aaouviz on 2022-08-04, 17:49:32 ---I guess what I'm asking is; will the procedural clouds in Corona be different than the v-ray procedural clouds? Do you guys make an effort to copy the features + usage completely or do you try to distinguish it from the vray features?

--- End quote ---

When adopting, the second team has the benefit of seeing what worked out and what did not, and adjusting it accordingly. Like with any other product - the second iteration is usually more polished.
Independent of this, there are always adjustments based on the individual product philosphies. In case of Corona, we ask how we can make it streamlined and easy to use. V-Ray team usually has to add more knobs for some specific edge case workflows requested

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version