Author Topic: Clipping warning in VFB  (Read 3720 times)

2019-02-15, 13:00:26

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is there any clipping warning tool I'm not aware in Corona? Similar to highlight and shadow clipping warnings in Camera Raw or force color clamping in V-ray? Anything that enables clear clipping visualization inside VFB?

2019-02-18, 18:19:38
Reply #1

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Should I say clipping or clamping? :)

Anyway, is there a visual way to tell if I'm having shadow and highlight clipping/clamping areas directly on the VFB?

2019-02-18, 20:34:35
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Well, if you really need this, you can sorta hack it. Open curves editor in VFB, change interpolation to linear splines, and adjust green and blue channels like in attached picture. Now you'll have purple colour for highlights clipping and blue for shadows.

P.S. you can enlarge curve editor by clicking and dragging over its edge, so that it would make easier to fine tune clipping points.

P.P.S. there is a bug, when changing channels or resetting changes, doesn't update interpolation status - i will report it as a bug.

P.P.P.S. you could request proper clipping indicators implementation in VFB, i think that would totally make sense ;] Ah crap, you already did :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-02-19, 01:13:57
Reply #3

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nice hack romullus! Thank you! Better than nothing for now :)

2019-06-12, 02:19:28
Reply #4

Image Complete

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
Highlights and shadows clipping in Lightroom is on of the most important tool for photographers.
Since our work is very close to that of a photographer, a clipping tool would be very useful.
Although I know nothing about coding, I think it is pretty easy to have a clipping tool since the RGB values are already there, in the VFB, with right click.
And if you want to keep the VFB fast and light, you could create a render element with red and blue dots for highlights and shadows respectively on a black background.

I hope we see this feature! :)

Cheers
We offer Visual Communication

2019-06-12, 02:43:01
Reply #5

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
The Albedo render element will display a red colour if there are values that the renderer considers to be too strong to be physically plausible.

2019-06-12, 09:44:55
Reply #6

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
AFAIK, albedo RE shows input input overbright, not the output, isn't?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-06-12, 11:31:25
Reply #7

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, albedo doesn't cut it in this case because it only warns about input overbrightness. I've since been using romullus hack but a proper clipping tool inside VFB would be very useful.

2022-04-07, 17:43:52
Reply #8

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Any idea when/if is this going to be implemented on VFB, guys? This would be REALLY useful!