Author Topic: nVme PCIe (x4) vs Sata 3 ssd  (Read 8552 times)

2016-04-30, 11:39:58

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm about to build a workstation with 2x Xeon 2699 v3 and i would like some input regarding storage. My options are either go to Samsung 850 Evo (SATA3) 1TB or go to Samsung 950 Pro 512GB (nvme Pcie x4).

My question is: is there ANY real difference in opening large 3ds max files between the two hard drives? I know that large file transfers benefit the M.2 nvme but my interest is to speed up large 3ds max file opening and if M.2 pcie x4 doesn't cut it i won't invest in a specific motherboard with support for M.2 pci2 (x4).

If i go the SSD Sata3 route the motherboard would be the Asus Z10PA-D8.
If i go the M.2 pcie x4 route the motherboard would be the Asus Z10PE-D8 WS.

Has anyone tested this?

2016-04-30, 11:53:30
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I will write it it notes if you don't mind :- ) It's quicker and I will be less confusing.

1) For workstation system drive, randomized performance (reading/writting) is all that matters. In this regard, I've seen quite different benchmark results, that go from none advantage, to modest advantage. But the more positive ones, show the randomized writting is about the same, but reading can be up to 50perc. better...that's already quite much.

2)950 PRO is both and MLC and 3D Vnand drive. This is something that should provide potentially better longevity to drive, something that is plus on system drive. On other hand, I haven't seen a single issue with 850 EVO, current SSD drives are almost immortal. All of the good ones.

3) 3dsMax opening would be negligible. Reading of 1GB file would take 1.5 second, instead of 2 seconds. But when was the last time it opened so fast ? It didn't, because most of the opening time is on software level. Your Photoshop file openings would get faster.

Generally if you feel like the additional money isn't too much for you, then I guess you should go for 950Pro. If you're budget conscious, then I don't believe the nvme drives are benefitial for system drives for anyone who doesn't constantly transfer huge data loads sequentially (people who work with video transcoding,etc..).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-04-30, 12:28:06
Reply #2

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great input Juraj! Many thanks! Sata 3 ssd route is somewhat around 300€ cheaper. Cheaper MB and no special SSI-EEB compatible case to match :)

2016-04-30, 12:50:20
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
no special SSI-EEB compatible case to match :)

No need to worry about this though, EEB is same size as E-ATX, just single bolt position different. Asus dual-boards go perfectly into same case as regular boards. Fractal XL R2 for example :- )
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2016-04-30, 13:11:48
Reply #4

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That was another doubt i had :) I read somewhere (tomshardware if i'm not mistaken) that 3 screw holes wouldn't line up. Corners and some internals do. Also found this for reference:

If i go the Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | Asus Z10PA-D8 route i was thinking on the Fractal Define R4.

On the other hand on the Samsung 950 Pro M.2 PCIe | Asus Z10PE-D8 WS route the Fractal Define XL R2 is a really tempting choice but i'm not sure the overall extra cost is really worth it. I guess i have to sink that in :)

Do you have any dual Xeons Juraj?

2016-04-30, 13:22:20
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yes, my workstation is dual xeon (previous gen) 2680v2. Asus z9pe-d8 ws, inside Fractal XL R2.

2016-04-30, 14:09:07
Reply #6

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks once again for clearing those doubts lingering in my head Juraj! ;)