Author Topic: Curvature Map  (Read 19363 times)

2015-12-08, 18:38:25

karnak

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
A curvature map can be used to generate procedural wear on the edges of objects.

As a reference for the workflow you can read this article by Neil Blevins and you can take a look at how the Quixel Suite 2.0 generates its masks for layering materials.

Currently you can bake the curvature into the mesh vertices or buy a plugin like GeoMaps.

Personally I don't like these solutions because:
  • you have to bake the curvature for each mesh you want to apply the shader on
  • baking the curvature needs a quite detailed mesh to work
  • baked curvature is geometry dependent, you have to re-bake when you change the mesh
  • GeoMaps is a plugin, meaning I have to hope that they will update in time when a new version of 3dsmax or Corona came out
  • GeoMaps is a plugin, meaning I have to hope that the render farm supports it
  • GeoMaps is a plugin, each person on the team needs to have the same version (?)

I think that it would be useful to have a dedicated curvature map in Corona.
What do you think about this request?
Anyone sharing the need for this feature?
Corona Academy (May 2017)

2015-12-08, 19:01:13
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-12-08, 19:26:02
Reply #2

karnak

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I see, this is sad. :(
Next time I will try to search more for already discussed topics.

Do you think the main reason is not to hurt boomerlabs?
With GeoMaps they are selling two products, curvature and tension, we are only talking about curvature here.
In addiction to this, their curvature has a lot o advanced features like: per frame calculation (I think we only need static), smoothing, distortion, directional influence.

I read in another discussion that the general policy is "not developing what it is already there", do you this is the reason?

2015-12-08, 19:41:25
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Do you think the main reason is not to hurt boomerlabs?
Don't know, but i don't think so. If Render Legion would be so affraid to hurt someone, they wouldn't release Corona in the first place. Someones profit is almost always others lost :]

I read in another discussion that the general policy is "not developing what it is already there", do you this is the reason?
As much as i'd want to see Corona's curvature and warp maps implementations, i think that this senseful decision. We need things that cannot be easily replaced first. When major features will be done, maybe then time will come for less important ones.

2015-12-08, 20:11:21
Reply #4

karnak

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Don't know, but i don't think so. If Render Legion would be so affraid to hurt someone, they wouldn't release Corona in the first place. Someones profit is almost always others lost :]
This is also my point.

As much as i'd want to see Corona's curvature and warp maps implementations, i think that this senseful decision. We need things that cannot be easily replaced first. When major features will be done, maybe then time will come for less important ones.
Absolutely. More important features must have the priority.

Having said that, I hope this feature request can enter the long term roadmap.

2016-09-28, 05:30:17
Reply #5

dubcat

• Active Users
  • ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ meow
    • View Profile
+1

vray has it
             ___
    _] [__|OO|
   (____|___|     https://www.twitch.tv/dubca7 / https://soundcloud.com/dubca7 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) choo choo

2016-09-28, 14:34:53
Reply #6

Benjamin_F

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1

2016-11-17, 14:05:32
Reply #7

karnak

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The new Data Channel Modifier in 3dsmax2017.1 looks promising. Has anyone tried it?

2016-11-17, 15:38:29
Reply #8

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Yup, it looks really nice! Here is a scene if someone wants to play with it.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-04-03, 23:30:39
Reply #9

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Yup, it looks really nice! Here is a scene if someone wants to play with it.
does this solve the issue?
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-04-04, 01:10:42
Reply #10

karnak

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Partially. A dedicated shader map would still be a superior in my opinion because it would allow you to have the complete solution in the material. The Data Channel Modifier method instead splits the solution in two, since you have the modifier that is applied to the mesh and the vertex color map that is in the material.

2018-04-19, 04:03:39
Reply #11

kumodot

• Active Users
  • Corona ADDICTED and Evangelist
    • View Profile
    • Kumodot
Just touching this topic again.
   I've been away from Corona Forum for a good amount of time. I was moving myself and my family to another country (canadá) and i am working with Maya (bleh) and Redshift now. But i still using Max and Corona for comissioned and personal work.
   I am here just to say that Curvature Map works very well in Redshift and it adds a lot to the shaders. Not sure if everything there can be replicated using DataChannel only. The shader is a no-brainer in RS, just add and works, very easy and fast. I was adding it on a lot of my shaders on a recent work with a lot of displacements/bumps, etc.
    One of the main "problems" using it thru Data channel is when have a lot of objects to apply it. It's harder to manage a lot of modifiers on many pieces, instead of one single map/shader.
Your Portuguese is worse than my english.
--------------------------------------------
3DGeneralist/Vfx Supervisor

2018-04-19, 10:35:59
Reply #12

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Oh, i would love to see Corona's curvature map, but now it's even more unlikely to happen than before, given in mind that newest 3ds Max has its own solution through OSL.

2019-03-14, 19:30:11
Reply #13

JoachimArt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JoachimArt
Hi I would like to cast my vote into this request. I would love for dedicated Corona Curvature map. Using the Corona AO map for this is just very tedious and difficult, and with just a slight change in the models scale etc you have to re-tweak the numbers - so not very user friendly.
After testing out Redshift, which has a dedicated Curvature Map I now see how much I miss that opportunity with Corona.

Please Corona team, add this ! :)

2019-03-15, 03:36:17
Reply #14

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Isn't curvature map local to the object only?
That would make the usage of a curvature map as a dirt / war map less useful, since a lamp standing on a desk would have wear free base, as the connection lamp base -> table is global.
Only proper Global AO or baking AO does that.
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )