General Category > General CG Discussion

Working in EXR 32bit in Photoshop (Workaround)

(1/4) > >>

K u r a i:
Hi Folks,

I thought I would share this because it is a revelation for those wanting to work in 32bit EXR in Photoshop.
I am not a techie guy and do not know all the swings and roundabouts about how stuff works. I just want to be able to get on and do it with as little fuss as possible.

As you all know PS does not allow you to work in Open EXR in 32bit... well, it does, but you can only use 40% of the adjustments. Which is pointless.
I have tried Fusion and Natron to composite but just get frustrated with all the messing around. I personally feel more at home in PS.

After days of research I found a Youtube video which explain how to work in 32bit EXR in 32bit and be able to adjust as normal. Yes.... I am NOT lying.

Follow this video. The guy even includes a new LinearRGB setting which makes this possible and includes it with the download. I tried it this morning and it works perfectly in PS CC.
You must have the ProEXR plugin installed too so you can see your cessential layers in the EXR file.

I notice alot of discussion on this matter and hope this workaround helps.... since from what I read from Adobe.... working in 32bit in the future is not as simple to build into PS as most think.
It is something that will need a total PS architecture remake. So don't hope it's round the corner. It might never happen.

Nekrobul:
Interesting workaround, got to remember it. Thanks.

maru:

--- Quote from: K u r a i on 2015-11-19, 08:27:19 ---After days of research I found a Youtube video which explain how to work in 32bit EXR in 32bit and be able to adjust as normal. Yes.... I am NOT lying.

--- End quote ---
Well, if you have watched the video, than you are lying, kind of. ;)
He is working on a 16-bit, not 32-bit image, and that's the most important part of the tutorial. This is still better than 8-bit. I will do some tests later.

maru:
I just wanted to check this, but I am not able to run OpenEXR plugin on Photoshop CC 2015. I am getting "could not complete your request because of a disk error". Anyone ever encountered this?
Also, when I saved all the elements separately and merged them in PS (direct, indirect, reflection), I got exactly the same result as in beauty, the contrast/colors was not as extremely altered as in the example in the video. What am I doing wrong? :)

Also, in the attachment is what you lose when you convert to 16-bit. Take a look at the reflection in the eyeball...

Please correct me if I'm doing anything wrong.

K u r a i:
Just trying to help....

After reading countless forum posts on the subject I think this is a very helpful fix that opens doors... not closes them.
Nuke, Fusion and Natron are way over the top for 2D stills. At least this simple fix stops
the need for simple folk (that don't work in studios) to go down yet another software magical mystery tour.

Bottom line is... I can now work with 32bit EXR files... where before I had to use PNG or TIFF....Case closed :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version