Author Topic: Denoiser with Render Farm  (Read 2019 times)

2020-02-14, 18:54:17

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi I'm rendering an animation with a renderfarm Rebus, I always use Nvidia GPU denoiser.  Unfortunately I received back my animation with no denoising cause they have no Nvidia GPU on nodes.  Is there a way around this? maybe save out the render from the farm to a .cxr file and run it through Corona image editor, would that denoise the images?

2020-02-14, 19:34:26
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Why not just use the Corona High Quality Denoiser, or the Intel AI Denoiser? They are not as fast as the NVIDIA, but Corona High Quailty is better quality, and the denoise time probably doesn't matter if rendering on a farm. The Intel one works on all CPUs btw, not just Intel CPUs.

If you want to denoise in the CIE using a CXR, the article at https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/12000004976-how-to-use-denoising- explains:
"
Using the "Gather data for later" option will allow you to denoise an image later in the Corona Image Editor using the Corona High Quality denoiser only.
If you wish to denoise your image using the NVIDIA AI or Intel AI denoiser, choose any of those two, render your image, and save to CXR. You can then switch between these two denoising types in the Corona Image Editor.
"

(so you'd have to render with the Intel Denoiser set anyway).

Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2020-02-14, 21:21:17
Reply #2

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you TomG for the detailed response. The reason we don't use Intel or Corona denoiser, is because I do not find them to be superior to Nvidia's. Corona denoiser especially, we find we lose a lot of detail in our textures, Nvidia's removes the noise but keeps the detail. Also what is the reason that Coronas denoiser takes so much longer then Intel's, or Nvidia's?

2020-02-14, 22:00:32
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Corona's is more aware of what is in the scene, so does more work to preserve detail - the other two are AI denoisers, so they "hallucinate" what they think should be there, differences are especially noticeable at lower passes. Also, the AI denoisers have not been trained with the new image filtering, so they can't be used with it.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2020-02-17, 08:14:41
Reply #4

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey TomG, wanted to thank you again with the information you provided. I wasn't aware that any denoiser worked with the new image filtering, good to know that Corona's high quality denoiser works with it.