Author Topic: Tutorial: Stereoscopic panorama with Corona + Cardboard  (Read 137798 times)

2015-12-17, 13:21:56

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
TO AVOID ANY CONFUSION: This thread was started on 17.12.2015. Since then, native support for VR (stereo spherical camera) was added to Corona, and now probably different approach is required. However, maybe there is still some helpful info in this thread.

UPDATE: see the new "better" guide here: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,10592.msg67811.html#msg67811

NOTE: Corona alread... soon will have built-in sterescopic pano controls. I am posting this guide mainly as a curiosity. Maybe it will serve as a base for further experimenting for users with better knowledge of the topic.
NOTE #2: example files are below.

So, here we go:

What we will need:
-3ds Max - it was chosen as the host application, we will be using Max Script so it won't work with any other host, unless you can create a similar script/tool
-Corona - any version with spherical camera support should work
-krpano - make sure you download the 1.19 version!
-VR-ready devices (I used my good old Moto G + basic version of Google Cardboard which cost about 2€), you can also view your pano on the monitor, but it's not so much fun ;)
-software to view the vr pano - I am using Firefox for Android
-some file browser for your Android (I am using Amaze, but anything which can go to a location and save it's path to clipboard should be ok)

1.  Configure cameras - basically it is a head+eyes setup:
My setup was based on Rambambulli's one. Basically I have 3 cameras. Camera-center is used for viewport/IR preview only.
cameraL is moved 3,5cm to the left from Camera-center. - it is ESSENTIAL to use the name cameraL for the object unless you edit the script
cameraR is moved 3,5cm to the right from Camera-center.  -it is ESSENTIAL to use the name cameraR for the object unless you edit the script
All cameras' targets are placed in one point, which is centered (so that it aligns with Camera-center), and moved away from the cameras (about 1-2m should be fine, I did not experiment with this, basically this is the exact point you are looking at).
The cameras and their targets are linked to a circle (rotation-helper). The circle is animated, it does a full 360 degree rotation through the whole animation range.
The cameras are aligned to the very center of the circle helper, and then are moved a little (7 cm) towards front. This is because your eyes are away from the spine - in this case the pivot of the circle helper.
All of the cameras have Corona Camera modifier applied with spherical projection type enabled (you can disable it for the center camera for previews if you wish).
The whole rig should be at some realistic height, so I guess 160cm+ - remember your eyes are a little lower than your total height. 

2. Animate the helper:
It needs to do a full 360-degree spin which takes the same amount of frames as the whole animation. Remember that 0-100 frames is actually 101 frames in total.

3. Model the environment:
You can place whatever you want around the cameras. there will be probably some problems if something is extremely close to the camera. I'm not sure.

4. Render setup and animation length:
This is very important! The way the script is constructed requires the following:
-The total number of frames should be the same as width of the render output. So if you are rendering 2400x1200px image - use 2400 frames of animation. If you are rendering a 600x300px image - 600 frames
-The circle helper must do the 360-degree spin in that number of frames

Render setup:
-set pass limit
-disable "lock sampling pattern" in performance tab
-you can set VFB to none
-remember about the correct 2:1 ratio in output size (2400x1200, 600x300 etc)

5. Run the script:
Note: the script was made by Rambambulli. All the credit goes to him.

Make sure you have the correct viewport selected.

Go to MAXScript > MAXScript Editor...
Paste the script:

Code: [Select]

--set render mode to crop
setRenderType #crop

-- change so the output width of a image divided by the stripwidth makes a whole number
stripwidth = 1

-- the left eye image
PanLeft = bitmap renderwidth renderheight
-- the right eye image
PanRight = bitmap renderwidth renderheight

--set a region to render a crop
EditRenderRegion.EditRegion()
EditRenderRegion.UpdateRegion()
viewport.setRegionRect viewport.activeViewport (Box2 (renderwidth/2) 0 1 renderheight)
EditRenderRegion.UpdateRegion()
EditRenderRegion.EditRegion()

parts = renderwidth/stripwidth
-- for testing parts = 100  or whatever you like

-- for the left eye

for t = 0 to parts do (
display panLeft
--make sure the left eye camera is cold cameraL. Or change the name here
viewport.setCamera $cameraL
strip = render rendertype:#crop vfb:false frame:t 
    pastebitmap strip panLeft [0,0] [(t*stripwidth),0]
)

-- and for the right eye

for t = 0 to parts do (
display panRight
--make sure the right eye camera is cold cameraR. Or change the name here
viewport.setCamera $cameraR
strip = render rendertype:#crop vfb:false frame:t 
pastebitmap strip panRight [0,0] [(t*stripwidth),0]

Then left-click in the pink text field in the lower-left side of the 3ds Max ui. Once the cursor appears in it, press Esc key - you should then see **interrupted** text in the lower, white text field. If something goes wrong, you should do this again before running the script again.

Get back to the script editor window, click Tools > Evaluate All.

If everything goes fine, you should see standard 3ds Max VFB pop up and a vertical line going from left to right with the rendered content appearing. You will need to wait for the two panoramas to render out this way.

6. Save the outputs:
After the rendering finishes, save the two images as pano_l.jpg and pano_r.jpg (IT IS REQUIRED TO SAVE THE FILES UNDER THE NAMES SHOWN HERE! the first one which renders out is the left one, the second one is right).

7. Create the stereoscopic VR tour:
Open your krpano installation folder. Select the two images (pano_l.jpg and pano_r.jpg) in explorer, grab them, and drag-and-drop them onto "MAKE VTOUR (MULTIRES) droplet.bat". You should see a command window that will do its job and then tell you to press any key.
Press any key.

This should convert your images into tiles, and save them in a folder structure in the place where they were originally stored. Go to that location.

In that location, go to "vtour" folder and open the file tour.xml in notepad (or any other text editor). We will need to do the following:

-remove the whole second <scene> section:  http://s29.postimg.org/fbjo3u1qv/remove.jpg
-add stereo="true" stereolabels="l|r" to the <image> tag: http://s17.postimg.org/5jk61wm4v/image_add.jpg
-in the <cube url> change 'pano_l.tiles' to 'pano_%t.tiles'
-save the file (just Ctrl+S it - resave under the same name)

After that is done, you can run the tour.html in your web browser on your PC to check how it works. You should see the panorama running, with a bottom menu where you can pick the Google Cardboard icon.

8. Send it to your phone:
I just connected my phone via USB and uploaded the whole folder with the original images and the pano directory to internal storage. For some reason it did not want to work when I uploaded it to the SD card. Maybe it's a useful hint, maybe I made some mistake.

Then, on my phone I used Amaze file browser (but I guess you can use anything), tracked the folder with the tour.html file, copied the path to clipboard (in Amaze you long-press on the path).

Switch to Firefox. Click on address bar. Paste the path, then add "tour.html" at the very end of it. Go!

Then just put your phone inside the Carboard/other viewer and enjoy the random teapots around you.

If you have done everything right, it should just work. Let me know if something goes wrong, there is high chance I made a mistake while typing all of this. :)

---

Known issues:
-Once you run the script, it cannot be paused/canceled (at least I do not know a way) so you will probably need to kill 3dsmax process. Incremental saves are advised. ;)
-The demo version of krpano leaves ugly watermarks all over the panorama - this can be probably fixed by using other software or buying the full version

Thanks for everyone who helped me do this, especially the guys over krpano forum who had to read my posts where I bitched how hard it is to find basic info, while it was my mistakes. ;)

« Last Edit: 2016-01-13, 17:41:21 by maru »
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-12-20, 12:38:18
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I'm surprised there is no interest in this. :(
I have just found a faster and less painful way with no watermarks. And with daily builds' VR support you do not have to use any scripts. I will post everything soon.

2015-12-20, 13:08:29
Reply #2

johan belmans

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
Don't worry, I am interested. But at the moment trying to catch a deadline, .....rendering an animation.

2015-12-20, 13:51:26
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I'd really love to see panos in 3D, but i haven't device in which i could do so.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-12-20, 15:02:16
Reply #4

amitshneor

• Active Users
    • View Profile
of course im interested in a clean easy 360 stereo pano solution for corona !!
so far i could only do it in vray or octane with their rendertime solution....

i will test your way asap !  ....and share my outcome...

thanks a lot man!

2015-12-20, 20:46:06
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I'd really love to see panos in 3D, but i haven't device in which i could do so.
It depends whether you want to get some really nice experience, or just see how it works. If you just want to see it, then I would recommend getting a cheap Cardboard viewer (AFAIR I bought mine for about 2€ just for fun) and a budget Android phone. I am using a moto G which I bought at the beginning of 2015 for about 150€ and I am still hapy about using it - no freezing or lags, checked with some 3d games and they run pretty smooth too. It could be a good excuse for getting yourself a new phone. Scientific purposes. ;)

2015-12-20, 21:52:21
Reply #6

amitshneor

• Active Users
    • View Profile
well,here is a good place to start : https://labs.chaosgroup.com/index.php/portfolio/guide-to-virtual-reality-2/

its from chaos group but the pdf guide is very informative. and the images they rendered in vray cube vr are amazing in 360 stereo vr.(18k wide !!!)

a client of mine gave me a samsung gear vr and a samsung galaxy s6 edge to go with it, so im telling you the experience is superior over any cardboard or some other
cheap plastics. the FOV is very large and you are immersed in the 360 world.

this is what pushed me to learn more about vr and making and rendering content for it.
i will try maru's script and workflow, hoping to get something from the dev team as an addon to corona.

cheers mates !

2015-12-20, 22:22:43
Reply #7

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
It depends whether you want to get some really nice experience, or just see how it works. If you just want to see it, then I would recommend getting a cheap Cardboard viewer (AFAIR I bought mine for about 2€ just for fun) and a budget Android phone. I am using a moto G which I bought at the beginning of 2015 for about 150€ and I am still hapy about using it - no freezing or lags, checked with some 3d games and they run pretty smooth too. It could be a good excuse for getting yourself a new phone. Scientific purposes. ;)

To see how it works would be enough. Thing is, i already have android device, but it hasn't gyro, so it's not very useful for VR experience. Or am i wrong?

2015-12-21, 08:20:45
Reply #8

88qba88

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have just found a faster and less painful way with no watermarks. And with daily builds' VR support you do not have to use any scripts. I will post everything soon.

I;m waiting for your tutorial Maru!

2015-12-21, 17:06:09
Reply #9

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
New guide!
Android + any VR viewer such as Cardboard again. This time it's much more simple and has no watermarks.

You will need:

Either: the script mentioned in the 1st post - this will give you 2 images which you can just use
Or: new version of Corona with the built-in VR support - this will give you one image, which you will need to split into two
This app on your phone: PSViewer

Requirements:
-Each of the images needs to be wider than 2000px
-Width needs to be 2x height (2200x1100 etc)
-left eye image needs to end with _l.jpg
-right - surprise...  _r.jpg

Howto:
1. Render the image(s)
2. Save as xxx_l.jpg and xxx_r.jpg - each one's width has to be above 2000px!
3. Copy the files to your phone, into one folder
4. Start PSVIewer, pick "load photospheres", find the directory where you copied the files, pick one of the images (for some reason it displays only the _l.jpg image for me - it is fine), pick "add photospheres to gallery"
5. Pick "view gallery"
6. It should just work. To switch to next panorama, you need to tilt your head (either left or right, depends on the sensors in your phone)

The End

2015-12-22, 10:43:37
Reply #10

88qba88

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot Maru! I've just tried it and it works like a charm!

2015-12-22, 10:44:39
Reply #11

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Great! Did you use the script or Corona's DB?

2015-12-22, 12:05:52
Reply #12

88qba88

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I used Corona Cam modifier with VR on, resolution 4000x4000, then I separated files in external program. Using PSViewer with correct phone (The program doesn't care about screen size, so when it's too big you have to have big exotropia to see it correctly!) it looks fantastic. Now it's time to test some interiors.

2015-12-22, 15:03:31
Reply #13

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
soap bubbles and godrays, somehow the 3d effects are not that apparent on my device

2015-12-22, 15:21:29
Reply #14

88qba88

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've done this one just for another quick test, 3d effects are clear and strong. I use
Eye separation =6,3cm
Eye front offset =8cm
Converge eyes = unticked

Another problem in PSViewer is that on some phones it won't keep the horizon in horizontal position, so you can't tilt your head too much.

2015-12-22, 15:24:14
Reply #15

amitshneor

• Active Users
    • View Profile
is the Corona Cam modifier with VR support  a part of a new daily build ?
how can i get it?

Thanks !

2015-12-22, 15:39:32
Reply #16

88qba88

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yep, you can get it with newest daily build.

to Maru:
After checking your Meadow I also noticed that 3d effect is visible only a little - was the scale of scene corresponding with VR camera and IPD (Eye Separation)?

Another important thing to feel comfortable in VR is front eye offset.

2015-12-22, 15:47:52
Reply #17

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
is the Corona Cam modifier with VR support  a part of a new daily build ?
how can i get it?

Thanks !
Yup, you need to get a daily build and then apply Corona Camera Mod. It has built in VR controls. Sorry, I forgot to write about it. :)

to 88qba88, yes, the scale is correct, I used 7cm for eye offset and 7cm for front offset. Converge was set to 2m as far as I remember.

2015-12-22, 15:59:53
Reply #18

amitshneor

• Active Users
    • View Profile
dear maru, also on gear vr both the meadow and 88qba88 image is very flat,the depth is almost non present...maybe because of no foreground and background stuff...

2015-12-22, 16:01:48
Reply #19

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
dear maru, also on gear vr both the meadow and 88qba88 image is very flat,the depth is almost non present...maybe because of no foreground and background stuff...
Some of the bubbles were placed really close to the camera. And they were in 3 groups - each one was in different distance from the camera.

2015-12-22, 16:11:12
Reply #20

amitshneor

• Active Users
    • View Profile
yeh the bubbles have the most stereo effect but the rest is quite flat.
maybe try wider eye seperation?

2015-12-28, 10:59:25
Reply #21

rambambulli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I guess it were the deadlines and the holidays :)

Thanks to you Maru for the guide and the Corona team for adding the new lens. It works great!

I tested the meadow and I thought the depth works well. Because there isn't much "body" on the bubbles it is harder to see the depth but next to the godrays it really is there.

As much as I love the Iphone hardware, I hate the apple store so I still can't find nice and simple stereo viewers.

For all who have the same problem I ajusted my html/three.js script so it view Corona panoramas directly.
(I hope there are no copy/paste errors this time :)
The script maps the under/above image that corona makes correctly on the spheres so you don't need to chop them in Photoshop.

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
<title>Stereo Viewer Corona Spherical VR-Cardboard v0.2</title>
<meta charset="utf-8">
<meta name="viewport" content="user-scalable=no, initial-scale=1">
<style TYPE="text/css">
body {
margin: 0px;
background-color: #000000;
overflow: hidden;
}

</style>
</head>
<body>

<div id="container"></div>

<script src="js/three.min.js"></script>
<script src="js/DeviceOrientationControls.js"></script>

<script>

(function() {

window.addEventListener('load', function() {

var imagename = 'img/sptest.jpg'
var animate = function(){

window.requestAnimationFrame( animate );
controls.update();
renderer1.render(scene1, camera);
renderer2.render(scene2, camera);

};

var container = document.getElementById( 'container' );

var camera = new THREE.PerspectiveCamera(75, window.innerWidth / window.innerHeight, 0.001, 700);
camera.aspect = (window.innerWidth/2) / window.innerHeight;
camera.updateProjectionMatrix();

var controls = new THREE.DeviceOrientationControls( camera );

var scene1 = new THREE.Scene();

var scene2 = new THREE.Scene();

var geometry = new THREE.SphereGeometry( 500, 32, 64);
geometry.scale( - 1, 1, 1 );

var texture1 = new THREE.ImageUtils.loadTexture( imagename );
texture1.repeat.set(1,0.5);
texture1.magFilter = THREE.NearestFilter;
texture1.minFilter = THREE.LinearMipMapLinearFilter;

var material1 = new THREE.MeshBasicMaterial ({ map:texture1 });

var texture2 = new THREE.ImageUtils.loadTexture( imagename);
texture2.repeat.set(1,0.5);
texture2.offset.y = 0.5;
texture2.magFilter = THREE.NearestFilter;
texture2.minFilter = THREE.LinearMipMapLinearFilter;

var material2 = new THREE.MeshBasicMaterial ({ map:texture2 });

var mesh1 = new THREE.Mesh( geometry, material1 );
scene1.add( mesh1 );

var mesh2 = new THREE.Mesh( geometry, material2 );
scene2.add( mesh2 );

var renderer1 = new THREE.WebGLRenderer({ antialias: true });
renderer1.setPixelRatio( window.devicePixelRatio);
renderer1.setClearColor( 0xffffff );
renderer1.setSize(window.innerWidth/2, window.innerHeight);
renderer1.domElement.style.top = 0;
container.appendChild(renderer1.domElement);

var renderer2 = new THREE.WebGLRenderer({ antialias: true });
renderer2.setPixelRatio( window.devicePixelRatio);
renderer2.setClearColor( 0xffffff );
renderer2.setSize(window.innerWidth/2, window.innerHeight);
renderer2.domElement.style.top = 0;
container.appendChild(renderer2.domElement);

window.addEventListener('resize', function() {

renderer1.setSize((window.innerWidth/2), window.innerHeight );
renderer2.setSize((window.innerWidth/2), window.innerHeight );

}, false);

animate();

}, false);

})

();

</script>

</body>
</html>

BTW I cannot attach the js files here. They are available on the web or you can use the URls of the official THREE.js site into the script.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-29, 12:02:18 by rambambulli »

2015-12-28, 13:36:06
Reply #22

88qba88

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Rambambulli,

Can you tell me where can I find proper js files? I tried to follow your advice at the end of the post I have no idea what should I do...

Thanks!

2015-12-28, 14:57:45
Reply #23

rambambulli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry for making simples thing so hard. I'm not the best guide-writer, am I.

I hope this clarifies it.

replace:

<script src="js/three.min.js"></script>
with:

<script src="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/three.js/r73/three.min.js"> </script>
(you need a internet connection if you use the link. If you save the THREE.min.js file to you web server (cloud file system) it works off line)

For the deviceorientationcontrols.js If haven't found a proper cdn.
So you can download the deviceorientationcontrol.js from: https://github.com/mrdoob/three.js/tree/af21991fc7c4e1d35d6a93031707273d937af0f9/examples/js/controls
and place it in the /js folder on your server.

or replace:

<script src="js/DeviceOrientationControls.js"></script>
with:

<script>
/**
 * @author richt / http://richt.me
 * @author WestLangley / http://github.com/WestLangley
 * W3C Device Orientation control (http://w3c.github.io/deviceorientation/spec-source-orientation.html)
 */

THREE.DeviceOrientationControls = function ( object ) {

var scope = this;

this.object = object;
this.object.rotation.reorder( "YXZ" );

this.enabled = true;

this.deviceOrientation = {};
this.screenOrientation = 0;

var onDeviceOrientationChangeEvent = function ( event ) {

scope.deviceOrientation = event;

};

var onScreenOrientationChangeEvent = function () {

scope.screenOrientation = window.orientation || 0;

};

// The angles alpha, beta and gamma form a set of intrinsic Tait-Bryan angles of type Z-X'-Y''

var setObjectQuaternion = function () {

var zee = new THREE.Vector3( 0, 0, 1 );

var euler = new THREE.Euler();

var q0 = new THREE.Quaternion();

var q1 = new THREE.Quaternion( - Math.sqrt( 0.5 ), 0, 0, Math.sqrt( 0.5 ) ); // - PI/2 around the x-axis

return function ( quaternion, alpha, beta, gamma, orient ) {

euler.set( beta, alpha, - gamma, 'YXZ' );                       // 'ZXY' for the device, but 'YXZ' for us

quaternion.setFromEuler( euler );                               // orient the device

quaternion.multiply( q1 );                                      // camera looks out the back of the device, not the top

quaternion.multiply( q0.setFromAxisAngle( zee, - orient ) );    // adjust for screen orientation

}

}();

this.connect = function() {

onScreenOrientationChangeEvent(); // run once on load

window.addEventListener( 'orientationchange', onScreenOrientationChangeEvent, false );
window.addEventListener( 'deviceorientation', onDeviceOrientationChangeEvent, false );

scope.enabled = true;

};

this.disconnect = function() {

window.removeEventListener( 'orientationchange', onScreenOrientationChangeEvent, false );
window.removeEventListener( 'deviceorientation', onDeviceOrientationChangeEvent, false );

scope.enabled = false;

};

this.update = function () {

if ( scope.enabled === false ) return;

var alpha  = scope.deviceOrientation.alpha ? THREE.Math.degToRad( scope.deviceOrientation.alpha ) : 0; // Z
var beta   = scope.deviceOrientation.beta  ? THREE.Math.degToRad( scope.deviceOrientation.beta  ) : 0; // X'
var gamma  = scope.deviceOrientation.gamma ? THREE.Math.degToRad( scope.deviceOrientation.gamma ) : 0; // Y''
var orient = scope.screenOrientation       ? THREE.Math.degToRad( scope.screenOrientation       ) : 0; // O

setObjectQuaternion( scope.object.quaternion, alpha, beta, gamma, orient );

};

this.dispose = function () {

this.disconnect();

};

this.connect();

};</script>

please let me know if you have a question on this.

2015-12-29, 08:04:11
Reply #24

88qba88

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wow, thank you for your fast reply Rambambulli!

I followed your advice step by step, in every configuration. Strange, but whatever I do I get black screen - I tried opening *.html file on IE, Edge, Firefox, Chrome, OneDrive on my iPhone 5s. Black screen everywhere.

My file that I rendered has a resolution of 5000x5000 px, its standard *.jpg file. File name is Corona_Panorama.jpg

I can send you my OneDrive Files if you want to chack that out:)

Thank you again!

Anyway, I'm gonna keep trying to make it work today.

2015-12-29, 11:03:02
Reply #25

rambambulli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Please send me your files. I'm no pro javascript programmer so there could be a mistake in the code. I'll look into it.

2015-12-29, 11:15:24
Reply #26

88qba88

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sure, there you go!

I'm sending my folder with all the files in it, it would be gr8 if you could help me, I've all the forums in the world and I've no idea how to make it work.

Thanks!

2015-12-29, 12:05:40
Reply #27

rambambulli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hmm. It works for me but I tested is on a other phone and also black.
I deleted the lines (about onedrive and dropbox) in the thread above until I figure this out.
Sorry guys for bad tip here.

@88qba88 have you tested the script on a webserver? (added: I tested it and it works: www.cocolenssen.nl/z/Corona_Panorama.html).
« Last Edit: 2015-12-29, 13:04:10 by rambambulli »

2015-12-29, 12:54:27
Reply #28

88qba88

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Not yet, I'll try it today and let you know what happens.

2015-12-29, 13:03:42
Reply #29

88qba88

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ok, i tested it and looks like it doesn't work on webserver as well"

http://europrojekt.elblag.pl/corona/

2015-12-29, 13:05:04
Reply #30

rambambulli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 2015-12-29, 13:14:39 by rambambulli »

2015-12-30, 08:12:41
Reply #31

88qba88

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2015-12-30, 11:30:36
Reply #32

rambambulli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No magic here. I think something is wrong with your folders and url in the html. They don't match I guess.
If you open the (not working, black) link in Chrome on your desktop. Press ctrl+shift+i you should see a error code in the console part.

Or upload your images to my server :)
I renamed it for my clients so they can use it and show there archviz VRs at home. I give my clients a cardboard with each project. They love it.
I works great but the site is veeery beta still and the server isn't very fast (yet). But you are free to use it.
I switched the URL of your pano to: www.go-stereo.com/users/88qba88/.

BTW. If you want it to be efficient you should always save your iimage size as a power of 2 (1024x1024px, 2048x2048px, 4096x4096, etc). Your phone's browser is using webgl and it worksmore efficient with these image sizes.
If you don't want or can do this,  there is no problem because Three.js scales your image from 4000x4000 to 4096x4096. But I think it is better to scale it or render it yourself at the right number of pixels.

2015-12-30, 15:21:31
Reply #33

88qba88

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wow, thanks again man! I'll try it as soon as possible! And I'll keep on trying to make it work om my server.

BTW. I've started partnership with a company that makes VR programs:
http://theconstruct.co
and we're gonna try to create an easy tool for uploading your 3d VR Corona renders to VR space (Google Cardboard, GearVR etc). This one should have extra functionalities, like adjustments of IPD, phone model/screen size, etc)
(something like this: http://wip.sbrusse.com/BB_CubeMap/ )

A program to upload your 3d FBX projects is already in beta phase.

I'll keep you updated, if you want to!

Thank you again! :)

2016-01-07, 16:46:53
Reply #34

johan belmans

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
Hi Maru,

I found the time for dealing with your tutorial.
One question, the new "Spherical VR mod" option in the CoronaCameraMod is based on a converged camera setup. So is it still necessary to render the final image in slices of 1° as described in your post? I guess not.

FYI if you have an Oculus rift, you can view the panorama's with the Firefox (Nightly Build) en make sure you install Mozilla WebVr Enabler

2016-01-07, 16:50:37
Reply #35

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
One question, the new "Spherical VR mod" option in the CoronaCameraMod is based on a converged camera setup. So is it still necessary to render the final image in slices of 1° as described in your post? I guess not.
Obviously not. The built-in VR mod has everything in it.
I have updated the first post with the link to the "new" guide.

2016-01-07, 16:56:14
Reply #36

johan belmans

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be

2016-01-13, 14:02:31
Reply #37

nauticus25

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm rendering my first VR attempt now.  Just a small thing, but I noticed that the default eye separation is 6.3" on a system with units set as inches.  63mm should be 2.48".

I'm super excited for this feature!
i9-12900K @ 3.2GHz, 64GB RAM, 3090ti
Max 2024, Corona 10

2016-01-13, 14:09:03
Reply #38

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Please, report it as a bug if you want that to be fixed.

2016-01-13, 16:58:51
Reply #39

vhector

• Active Users
    • View Profile
At the CoronaCameraMod I can set projectiontype. I don't see any VR settings. Using 1.3

2016-01-13, 17:31:04
Reply #40

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
fixed
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-01-13, 20:36:49
Reply #41

nauticus25

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I reported it to Mantis this morning and it took Ondra a whole two hours to fix it.  Probably much less to do the actual fix, but the "fixed" notification took two hours to show up.  Nice job Ondra!  If only I could get that kind of response from Autodesk. 

Did a quick render of an existing scene this morning, showed it to my boss, and now we have 10 cardboards on order for a presentation next week and a couple of college recruiting fairs next month.  Between this and the forthcoming adaptive sampling improvements, lots of exciting VR stuff happening!  The only downside is now I'm too busy.  :)
Max 2024, Corona 10

2016-01-14, 12:23:28
Reply #42

vhector

• Active Users
    • View Profile
His fixing is as fast as how he drinks his peach shots on the EUE

2016-01-14, 13:18:24
Reply #43

vhector

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Bit confused,
The settings should be here right?

2016-01-14, 13:25:11
Reply #44

nauticus25

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It's not in 1.3, it's in the Dec. 17th and later daily releases.  See here: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,7238.msg67645.html#msg67645.
Max 2024, Corona 10

2016-01-14, 13:27:39
Reply #45

vhector

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Aha. Much obliged.... And I had to read better. Maru allready mentioned it.
« Last Edit: 2016-01-14, 13:51:36 by vhector »

2016-01-15, 14:48:34
Reply #46

DanUh

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi!
I did some first tests regarding stereo panoramas and run into small problems. Firstly, I don't seem to get different results when altering eye separation; secondly objects rather close to the camera (approx. 1.6m) just won't work (see the attached images...). As far as I understand the available settings, corona is using an either converged or parallel setup, may it be possible and/ or a solution to my second problem to implement a third "off-axis" mode as discribed here: http://elevr.com/cg-vr-1/ ?
My settings (Dailybuild Jan 10 2016):
Eye separation: 0.063m
Eye front offset: 0.08m
converge eyes unticked

Best regards
Daniel

2016-01-15, 15:19:20
Reply #47

rambambulli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Have you tried to leave front offset to 0.00 and set converge to the distance of the sculpture (or better 30% further. Say the sculpture is 2 meter from your camera set converge to 2.5 - 3m)?
The works for me.
In large interior spaces you have to choose where you want to focus (converge) on. If you don't focus you stare into oblivion and every nearby gets really unsharp. You get the feeling there is a left and a right image of the sculpture. Like in your tests.

(btw tested you images on my cardboard and the concrete space is really 3d so it must be your converge point.)

2016-01-15, 15:34:13
Reply #48

DanUh

• Users
    • View Profile
I dont quite get what front offset is exactly for? I just recognized in this particular render I set converge to 100m...I'll try what you suggested and report back. Thank you anyway!

EDIT: The sculpture is approx. 1.6m away, so I set converge to 2.0m. Looking at the statue now works better, but keystoning is quite strong . As stated in the previously linked article the "off-axis" camera rig would be an interesting try I think, exactly for interiors not being that huge...
« Last Edit: 2016-01-15, 16:07:13 by DanUh »

2016-01-15, 16:11:09
Reply #49

vhector

• Active Users
    • View Profile
For small spaces I noticed when you change your unit setup it can help.

2016-01-18, 13:19:22
Reply #50

88qba88

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hej,

I'm using Corona 1.4 from 2016-01-13. My 3dsMax units are set to centimeters and I've noticed that changing Eye Separation parameter has no effect on final image. One more thing I've noticed is that it looks like the real distance is much smaller, as 3d is barely visible (left and right image look almost the same).

I also did a test to check if I'm right:

I've made a VR camera:
Spherical ON
Spherical VR mod ON
Eye Separation 6,3cm
Eye front offset: 0,0cm
Converge Eyes OFF

In front of the camera (2 cm away from the camera) is a small box (1x1x1cm). It's grey, but it's left side is blue and right side is red). From what I know Eye separation in Corona is IPD (inter pupilary distance) in real world. So it means that there are 2 cameras, 6,3 cm away from each other. It means I should be able to see left (blue) side of my box with left camera and right side (red one) with right camera.

Changing Eye separation has no change at all.

Changing Eye front offset has some really strange effects.
For example setting front eye offset to -5 creates 2 boxes (still same scene).

Eye separation is THE MOST CRUCIAL thing in 3d, as it defines the scale of scene and distance of objects.

What do you think guys?

2016-01-18, 14:27:19
Reply #51

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Thanks for the tests Qba, I will make a bug report out of it.

2016-01-18, 14:56:44
Reply #52

88qba88

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Maru!

I'm also preparing an App for Apple and Android phones that allows you to see your VR renders with Google Cardboard.
It will be possible to load *.jpg files straight from Corona and view it properly without any postroduction, cropping etc. Just load your VR Render that has 1 to 1 ratio and see it in 3d around you!:)

If you're interested just let me know.

Good luck and thanks again! :)

2016-01-18, 15:38:42
Reply #53

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Sure we are interested! Someone will contact you [soon].

2016-01-19, 09:09:35
Reply #54

88qba88

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Maru! Everything works properly after yesterdays update! :)

2016-01-19, 09:22:18
Reply #55

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
Amazing work guys.  Will be testing this again soon.

Cheers.
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk
max 2016 sp1, corona 1.3 final, win 8.1. pro

2016-01-19, 09:53:03
Reply #56

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
new daily should fix the problems with stereoscopic camera
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-01-21, 15:14:06
Reply #57

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
Ondra and Co, would it be possible for you guys to do a very quick write-up explaining exactly what the various VRmod controls are for and some real-world usage examples, e.g. for a typical interior space, an exterior space, a space with something very close to the camera etc.

We're struggling to get to grips with the convergence and offset options.

Cheers,
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk

2016-01-21, 15:24:55
Reply #58

romanbuha

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello everybody!

Thanks a lot for your hard work on VR rendering function.

Just one question - can anybody tell when (approximately) we can expect to get simple functionality of getting VR images that can be used for Gear VR glasses?

I mean if that can be possible like in V-Ray renderer.

Thank you Corona Team!

Roman

2016-01-22, 08:42:55
Reply #59

88qba88

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is my latest test render with the newest build. 3d effect in Google Cardboard is now superb (just right, not too big, not to small).

I'm using standard eye separation (6,3cm) which in most cases corresponds with real life IPD. (To make 3d effect more visible and still believable you can make it bigger, to about 65mm) This setting sets the scale of a scene.
Smaller Eye distance makes everything look bigger than in real life, making it bigger makes you feel like an ant in a huge room:)

Another thing is Eye Front Separation - I'm not sure about this but I believe it is digital version of "eye to nect" distance. You never move your head with axis in the middle of your eyes, it's usually around 8cm away from your eyes, so i set it to 8cm.

Converge eyes - this is important to make you feel comfortable and avoid "strange feeling in your stomach".
In real world when you look on objects that are close to you, you have to cross your eyes a little and this is what you're trying to replicate in VR.
In general I set it to about 120% of a distance to the most important part of your image. In an image I attach here it was set to 120% of a distance from camera to the wall behind a TV.

I'm not sure I'm 100% right, but the setting I use seem to work very well:)

I hope it helps!
« Last Edit: 2016-01-22, 08:48:42 by 88qba88 »

2016-01-22, 10:19:36
Reply #60

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
This is my latest test render with the newest build. 3d effect in Google Cardboard is now superb (just right, not too big, not to small).

I'm using standard eye separation (6,3cm) which in most cases corresponds with real life IPD. (To make 3d effect more visible and still believable you can make it bigger, to about 65mm) This setting sets the scale of a scene.
Smaller Eye distance makes everything look bigger than in real life, making it bigger makes you feel like an ant in a huge room:)

Another thing is Eye Front Separation - I'm not sure about this but I believe it is digital version of "eye to nect" distance. You never move your head with axis in the middle of your eyes, it's usually around 8cm away from your eyes, so i set it to 8cm.

Converge eyes - this is important to make you feel comfortable and avoid "strange feeling in your stomach".
In real world when you look on objects that are close to you, you have to cross your eyes a little and this is what you're trying to replicate in VR.
In general I set it to about 120% of a distance to the most important part of your image. In an image I attach here it was set to 120% of a distance from camera to the wall behind a TV.

I'm not sure I'm 100% right, but the setting I use seem to work very well:)

I hope it helps!

Thanks for the write-up! Very useful. Will try out these settings next time I get a chance and see how they work. Can't wait to test out your android beta app too by the way.
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk

2016-01-26, 20:47:57
Reply #61

romanbuha

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi again.

I have just ordered a Google Cardboard Viewer. However, I can not find PSViewer app for iPhone.
What app should I install to test how it works? Or it is only available for now on Android?

Thanks,

Roman

2016-01-27, 12:03:52
Reply #62

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Sorry, but I have 0 experience with Apple products. All you need is an application capable of turning 1 or 2 images into a stereoscopic panorama. Maybe you can ask around, for example on Reddit.

2016-01-27, 12:58:21
Reply #63

88qba88

• Active Users
    • View Profile
And you can write me PM, I think I'll be able to help you soon:)

2016-01-27, 15:49:40
Reply #64

romanbuha

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Maru, Thank you for your reply!

88qba88, just sent you a private message.

2016-01-27, 18:40:58
Reply #65

marqueso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
One easy way is to just render two 360 panoramic spheres 6cm apart.

then upload to InciteVr.com It is pretty cool because if you look through your phone it changes the perspective on your computer in "presentation mode". You can see what your client sees and even change the scene from your desktop computer.

here is one i made

http://www.insitevr.com/view/VyLp6s2_x

2016-01-27, 19:45:59
Reply #66

romanbuha

• Active Users
    • View Profile
marqueso,

Thank you very much for your post! Will test it as soon as I can.

2016-01-28, 13:58:20
Reply #67

rambambulli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@ romanbuha
I use safari or chrome on my Iphone to view my stereo images. Because app store sucks. In the meantime 88qba88 is creating an app (I'm very interested btw) you can send me your image and I'll send you a link so you can test your images with the webbrowser on your Iphone.

You can upload the image yourself if you want:
use ftp://corona@go-stereo.com in windows explorer
user: corona@go-stereo.com
pass: Corona001

paste this url in safari on your Iphone:

http://www.go-stereo.com/viewer.html?img=corona/YOUR_IMAGE_NAME

default FOV = 75. If you want to use a different FOV use:

http://www.go-stereo.com/viewer.html?img=corona/YOUR_IMAGE_NAME&fov=YOUR_VALUE

If you encounter a problem please email me.

(it is absolutely free but public. So if you dont want anyone to see your stereos don't us it)

« Last Edit: 2016-01-28, 14:10:10 by rambambulli »

2016-01-30, 20:02:50
Reply #68

romanbuha

• Active Users
    • View Profile
rambambulli,

Thank you very much for that information.
I am still waiting to get my first cardboard - so I will test it as soon as I can.

Roman

2016-02-01, 04:34:44
Reply #69

romanbuha

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

Finally, I got my google cardboard and did some tests on it. I decided to buy View-Master because it has nice rubber cover - so you can normally see virtual pictures.
http://www.view-master.com/

First of all I tested one of their app (something about space) which is totally sucks.
Then I've checked few their pictures and they were also terrible. I tested it with my iPhone 6 and also with my friend's iPhone 6 plus and the result was the same.
The quality of picture is just terrible. Specially, when you want to turn your head around and see more... 3D effect is absolutely blurry and I have no idea if it can be fixed somehow.

Then I tested www.insitevr.com and was a little happy because I was surprised that my panoramic jpg file was easy converted to a VR picture.
Here is that image: https://www.insitevr.com/p/4yLedMztl
However, a little later I understood that it is actually not that good like it was when I tested Samsund Gear VR glasses one month ago.
Because as I understood it is made by using different technologies(?). May somebody explain it to me?

Please download two jpg files from my dropbox (because I can not attach it here):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a2qqcllbn2bzp5x/No_Gravity.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/af1cbk354tue5sz/pano.jpg?dl=0

VR-image (pano.jpg) that was rendered on V-Ray 3.2 specially for Samsung Gear VR glasses. Please take a look on this image.
And then - look on the panorama image (No_Gravity.jpg) that was rendered in Corona - specially for creating panoramic image (NOT VR).

As you can see - these images are different.
pano.jpg has 18432 x 1536 pixels and contains from 12 squares (I gues 6 for left and 6 for right eye).
No_Gravity.jpg image was rendered in Corona and was made specially for panorama effect (which is perfectly work by the way).

However, when I tried to use this No_Gravity.jpg on www.insitevr.com - the image was just divided on two same parts.
But it is not a real VR effect. It is like a fake VR effect. You can not fill real space and deepness like I remember in Gear VR.
Yes, you can see the image but it doesn't looks that good. And it is terrible uncomfortable to look down or up. Only okay when you look slowly left or right.

So my conclusion for now is that Google Cardboard can not give the true VR effect like it is when you look on Samsung Gear VR glasses.

And question for Corona team - can you guys improve some option in Corona, so it can render such images like I provided in the attached file (pano.jpg)? Because it doesn't look like there is something special. I mean - it's like there are 6 sides of the box for both eyes connected in one large jpg file.

Thank you!

Kind regards,

Roman

2016-02-02, 08:53:03
Reply #70

88qba88

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Roman,

Be a little more patient, as Corona renders a proper VR images that look really good in VR - Samsung's Gear VR, Cardboards or Oculus. You only need a properly working App that will allow you to do it properly.

In a meanwhile you can check how Corona renders look in VR here: (open it in your phone's web browser)
http://www.go-stereo.com/viewer.html?img=corona/CRN001%20360%20salon%2003.jpg
However it's just a simple web viewer, it doesn't use proper distortion nor takes care of phone screen size or Cardboard type.

Best regards,
Jakub

PS. I've attached my simple VR render from Corona - it uses Corona's VR cam and has to be in 1:1 proportions. It works best when you set resolution to 1024x1024, 2048x2048, 4096x4096 etc:)

To be honest I think Corona's equirectangular renders are better then V-Ray's Cubemap as Apps don't have to "stitch" 6 different images per eye and from my tests you can achieve better image quality when viewed from your phone.

2016-02-02, 13:39:03
Reply #71

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Please download two jpg files from my dropbox (because I can not attach it here):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a2qqcllbn2bzp5x/No_Gravity.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/af1cbk354tue5sz/pano.jpg?dl=0

VR-image (pano.jpg) that was rendered on V-Ray 3.2 specially for Samsung Gear VR glasses. Please take a look on this image.
And then - look on the panorama image (No_Gravity.jpg) that was rendered in Corona - specially for creating panoramic image (NOT VR).

As you can see - these images are different.
pano.jpg has 18432 x 1536 pixels and contains from 12 squares (I gues 6 for left and 6 for right eye).
No_Gravity.jpg image was rendered in Corona and was made specially for panorama effect (which is perfectly work by the way).

However, when I tried to use this No_Gravity.jpg on www.insitevr.com - the image was just divided on two same parts.
But it is not a real VR effect. It is like a fake VR effect. You can not fill real space and deepness like I remember in Gear VR.
Yes, you can see the image but it doesn't looks that good. And it is terrible uncomfortable to look down or up. Only okay when you look slowly left or right.

So my conclusion for now is that Google Cardboard can not give the true VR effect like it is when you look on Samsung Gear VR glasses.
Hi, sorry, but I don't fully understand the message. You are comparing a stereoscopic image (from Vray) and a single panorama (from Corona). If you load the single panorama into some VR app - how is it supposed to be 3D? It requires two images, each for one eye. Maybe I misunderstood something?

And question for Corona team - can you guys improve some option in Corona, so it can render such images like I provided in the attached file (pano.jpg)? Because it doesn't look like there is something special. I mean - it's like there are 6 sides of the box for both eyes connected in one large jpg file.
The new VR options are in daily builds only ( https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000570015 ). Corona renders one image which is combined from 2 camera positions. It works just fine and no cubemaps are required.

2016-02-02, 23:22:45
Reply #72

rambambulli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@88qba88
it doesn't use proper distortion
How do you mean? How can I use/add proper distortion?

Guess I found it. Learning something new every day :D

Thanks
« Last Edit: 2016-02-03, 10:11:41 by rambambulli »

2016-02-03, 01:01:41
Reply #73

romanbuha

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Roman,

Be a little more patient, as Corona renders a proper VR images that look really good in VR - Samsung's Gear VR, Cardboards or Oculus. You only need a properly working App that will allow you to do it properly.

In a meanwhile you can check how Corona renders look in VR here: (open it in your phone's web browser)
However it's just a simple web viewer, it doesn't use proper distortion nor takes care of phone screen size or Cardboard type.

Best regards,
Jakub

PS. I've attached my simple VR render from Corona - it uses Corona's VR cam and has to be in 1:1 proportions. It works best when you set resolution to 1024x1024, 2048x2048, 4096x4096 etc:)

To be honest I think Corona's equirectangular renders are better then V-Ray's Cubemap as Apps don't have to "stitch" 6 different images per eye and from my tests you can achieve better image quality when viewed from your phone.

Jakub,

Thank you for your images. I have just tested your link. I opened it in Chrome on my iPhone 6 and put it in my Google Cardboard (View-Master).
Well, it is looks now more close to what I've seen in Gear VR - but the quality is still poor.
I have to say that my stomach is now filling not good :(

I understand that it is just a simple web viewer. Well, I will try to be patient and will be waiting for the app like you are saying.

So, did I understand you correct? When your app will be available - it will be possible to install it on Samsung Galaxy S6 and put there renders from Corona and then it will be possible to see it in Gear VR?

I'm talking about Gear VR because I still don't believe that Google Cardboard can work on the same high level.

Thanks,

Roman
« Last Edit: 2016-02-03, 01:24:23 by romanbuha »

2016-02-03, 01:12:45
Reply #74

romanbuha

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, sorry, but I don't fully understand the message. You are comparing a stereoscopic image (from Vray) and a single panorama (from Corona). If you load the single panorama into some VR app - how is it supposed to be 3D? It requires two images, each for one eye. Maybe I misunderstood something?

Maru,

Exactly, that was what I did. And it was just for test. Because somebody above posted that website www.insitevr.com - so I decided to try how it works.
I uploaded to that website my single panorama image and then it was just simply divided on two same parts so I was watching it in my Google Cardboard.
And yeah, it is not that truth effect of Virtual Reality.

The new VR options are in daily builds only ( https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000570015 ). Corona renders one image which is combined from 2 camera positions. It works just fine and no cubemaps are required.

If it works - please send me any VR picture that I can see in Gear VR - so I will see how it is looks like. And yeah - also please explain where I have to put image to see it in Gear VR.

Thanks!

Roman

2016-02-03, 11:33:10
Reply #75

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
If it works - please send me any VR picture that I can see in Gear VR - so I will see how it is looks like. And yeah - also please explain where I have to put image to see it in Gear VR.

Thanks!

Roman
I don't know about Gear VR, I don't have access to it. Does it use some native app, or can you run anything on it?
The instructions on creating stereoscopic panoramas for Google Cardboard are in this thread. Some sample images, too. I might try rendering some additional shots, but this is very time-consuming.

2016-02-03, 16:47:51
Reply #76

romanbuha

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I don't know about Gear VR, I don't have access to it. Does it use some native app, or can you run anything on it?
The instructions on creating stereoscopic panoramas for Google Cardboard are in this thread. Some sample images, too. I might try rendering some additional shots, but this is very time-consuming.

Maru,

Well, I think you have to find a chance to take a look what is Gear VR means. Because it is developed on Oculus platform.
And Google Cardboard at least at this point looks like a joke for me.

Actually, the problem is that Gear VR works only with Samsung smartphones, which cost $500+
And you need to connect that smartphone with glasses via mini USB port.
Plus there is a specific app "360 Photo". To see your VR images - you need to put them in a specific folder and app will show it to you.
That is how it works.

And because I have iPhone - I can only buy the additional phone for these glasses which is stupid.
But I'm even okay with that. All I need is to get somehow that stereo cube map in Corona - so I will not be in need of VRay.

Jakub is saying he is working on some app. But still, even if that app will be made for Iphone - I will not be able to connect my phone with Google Cardboard. Maybe that is the key?

Roman

2016-02-03, 22:13:54
Reply #77

88qba88

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey again Romanbuha and Maru,

I was AFK for a few days so I couldn't answer as fast as usually.

First of all, Samsung Gear VR support will be available in our app, no problem with that.

Secondly, you can download Google Cardboard App to your iPhone. Then you use ithis app to scan QR code from your Cardboard (this qr code + Google Cardboard App + you phone version = data required for proper image distortion, all done automatically just by scanning the code). By doing this you'll be able to "connect" your iPhone to Cardboard in terms of proper image rendering and distortion. iPhone's accelerometers seem to work better than Samsung's so the experience is beetween normal Samsung phone with cardboard and S6+GearVR.

Least but not least - as Maru said, you can just install a fresh Corona's daily build and use a little tutorial I wrote earlier in this thread to render proper Stereoscopic 360 image with Corona. If you want some help feel free to ask :)

2016-02-04, 03:33:30
Reply #78

romanbuha

• Active Users
    • View Profile
First of all, Samsung Gear VR support will be available in our app, no problem with that.

Hi Jakub,
This is great! I look forward to test it.

Secondly, you can download Google Cardboard App to your iPhone. Then you use ithis app to scan QR code from your Cardboard (this qr code + Google Cardboard App + you phone version = data required for proper image distortion, all done automatically just by scanning the code). By doing this you'll be able to "connect" your iPhone to Cardboard in terms of proper image rendering and distortion. iPhone's accelerometers seem to work better than Samsung's so the experience is beetween normal Samsung phone with cardboard and S6+GearVR.

I did it at the same day when I got my Google Cardboard. I scanned QR code on my View-Master. But I wasn't happy about the quality of these images that I saw in standard Google Cardboard app.

Least but not least - as Maru said, you can just install a fresh Corona's daily build and use a little tutorial I wrote earlier in this thread to render proper Stereoscopic 360 image with Corona. If you want some help feel free to ask :)

I have to do it - just need to find time. But actually you already sent us your test image. I mean this one:
And I have tested it on my phone and the quality was not like in VR still.
So I'm not sure if I can do better image.

Anyway, what I understood is that you are working on your app and we will just wait until you will release it, right?

Thanks,

Roman

2016-02-04, 10:52:01
Reply #79

88qba88

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2016-02-04, 22:20:23
Reply #80

mathos

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great tutorial thanks - very helpful. I have a question though - not entirely about corona but I was wondering if any of you guys have experience with virtual tour software? Is there anything better than krpano? Im planning to buy a license but wanted to check if there is not anything better/cheaper before I do so.

Also what is the usual resolution you render for a decent quality pano ? I tried 14000x7000 px but the ram went up to 64gb and some of dr blades started to fail - going down to 12k helped but still the memmory consuption is close to 60gb - is that normal? On 5000px the scene takes around 20gb ram.

Thanks

2016-02-05, 11:50:50
Reply #81

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile

2016-02-10, 19:07:57
Reply #82

ikercito

• Active Users
    • View Profile
About rendering super high res pictures and ram - you could try rendering strips: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/3DSMax/files/GUID-0A49D59A-313C-438F-9698-71C1263AD432-htm.html

Maru, does Corona support that? I've run into some RAM problems before rendering 8000x4000 images. That would be really helpful.

2016-02-11, 13:28:48
Reply #83

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Yes, it should work with Corona.

2016-02-12, 11:39:17
Reply #84

88qba88

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wait for the new post on official Corona blog for some news on the topic and app to view the files! :)

2016-02-12, 18:19:51
Reply #85

rambambulli

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Can't wait 88qba88. Sounds very promising!

In the mean time, I tried to improve the simple web viewer. 88qba88 you were absolutely right that it lacked a lot of important features.

So I found the splendid webVR boilerplate.
webvr-boilerplate.https://github.com/borismus/webvr-boilerplate
This is build on the THREE.js (like my earlier simple viewer) and uses the mozilla webVR Api
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/WebVR_API

This web viewer now supports:

Cardboard VR
Normal Pano style viewing on mobile, Desktop and Oculus Rift (last not tested yet by myself)

HOW TO USE IT:

- put your Corona Stereoscopic images on your google drive, onedrive, iphone photostream, Android documents etc.
- For best performance make sure your images are 1024x1024 or 2048x2048 or ...
- if you want to test it, I attached a 4k stereoscopic render of the Corona benchmark (not so many passes, sorry) save it to your mobile (documents or photostream) or upload it to your favorite cloud drive.
- Make sure you have the an app for viewing the file on you mobile.
- I installed the onedrive app on my iPhone and placed the image in a folder. Of course, google drive or dropbox will do fine.

- go to http://www.go-stereo.com/

- press the icon and choose your file (see the attached iPhone screenshot).

- and there you go.

Have fun!

BTW the Go Stereo logo is there for my clients. You can use it for free of course.
I'll upload the source code if anyone is interested.

THINGS TO DO (but maybe not if 88qba88's app works better :) ):

chrome on iPhone not a fully fullscreen. Safari works.

only tested it myself on a Samsung s5, iphone5, iphone6+. I will test it on more models.

adjustments/fine tuning interface for more FOV, eye distance, cardboard characteristics, etc.

more mobile and viewer profiles.
for now iPhone 5, 6 and 6+, Samsung s3, s4, s5 and s6 and Nexus 5
cardboard viewer v1 and v2
are included

interface to add flying URL links to different VR images so you can create a virtual tour.

a lot of add error trapping

the interface is a bit shacky so I want to improve that as well.

quote from webvr-boilerplate/github README:

Features:

Enter and exit VR mode (in WebVR and WebVR polyfill compatible environments).
Immersive fullscreen, orientation locking and sleep prevention.
Distortion correction, enabled in iOS only.
High quality head tracking with motion prediction thanks to webvr-polyfill.

Bugs and known issues:

Proper distortion correction for Android. This requires knowing physical locations of lenses, which requires knowing device's DPI, which is hard in general. It's easier in iOS because there are relatively few iPhone models.
Wake lock for Android currently relies on a hack in which a hidden video is played on repeat in the background. This causes big WebGL performance issues, so has been disabled. This will be resolved when the official wakelock API lands: http://crbug.com/257511

2016-02-13, 03:04:40
Reply #86

romanbuha

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wow!

Rambambulli! This is finally the best experience that I had since I was using Samsung Gear VR!
I tested your image on my iPhone 6 and View-Master Google Cardboard and I have to say it is really good result!
Even if it is just a test render and not enough of passes. But it is just great!

Waiting for app, Jakub! :)

Thanks again,

Roman 
« Last Edit: 2016-02-13, 06:03:57 by romanbuha »

2016-02-13, 06:02:02
Reply #87

romanbuha

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well, I have tested this image on both phones and now can say there is a difference.
There are actually pros and cons on both smartphones.

iPhone 6
+ Very smooth (nice) turn around
- Too big (wrong) scale; feels like all the objects are a little too close that it needs to be

iPhone 6 Plus
+ Perfect scale! Exactly how it needs to be!
-  Turn around is not smooth enough; There is a kind of distortion which make looking not comfortable
_________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, thank you very much for your test image! And looking forward for the news about VR in Corona!

Roman

2016-02-13, 08:57:45
Reply #88

johan belmans

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
woow rambambulli that sounds promising. Especially the part of the Vtour.

2016-02-22, 10:49:29
Reply #89

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi rambambulli. Tried to use "go-stereo" on a desktop with Oculus Rift, but cant find a way to make it work. The browser used is Mozilla Firefox Nightly Build, and I've got Oculus working with other apps/sites, but not "go-stereo,com". Besides that "go-stereo" wont let me access my dropbox - telling me that I can't use that location - so I'm forced to load it from the HD.

Did you find a way to use Oculus on a desktop with go-stereo? Do you have an idea about what I might be doing wrong?

2016-02-25, 12:12:48
Reply #90

rambambulli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

First let me be clear that I'm not an expert on javascript nor webVR. I'm forced to become one because I love Corona and love my cardboards :)
I'm trying to create VR viewer that can be used by everybody for free but I haven't got all the different phone and hardware at home to test them.

So I'll try to answer your questions a good as I can:

@romanbuha:
iPhone 6
- Too big (wrong) scale; feels like all the objects are a little too close that it needs to be

I agree.
I am working on a proper UI to adjust it yet. Here are some tests with fine-tuned FOVs.
The web app uses webVR's a calculated, recommended FOV. I think things look better when the FOV +10 (say recommended = FOV 60, 70 looks better). If you tune the FOV too high (+15 or +20) it might create distortions or even some motion sickness.

Here are some tests in which I tuned the FOV up and down:

the corona benchmark scene:

http://www.go-stereo.com/?img=corona/bench4k.jpg&ftfov=0
http://www.go-stereo.com/?img=corona/bench4k.jpg&ftfov=5
http://www.go-stereo.com/?img=corona/bench4k.jpg&ftfov=10
http://www.go-stereo.com/?img=corona/bench4k.jpg&ftfov=-5
http://www.go-stereo.com/?img=corona/bench4k.jpg&ftfov=-10

and an image by 88qba88
http://www.go-stereo.com?img=corona/CRN001%20360%20salon%2003.jpg&ftfov=0
http://www.go-stereo.com?img=corona/CRN001%20360%20salon%2003.jpg&ftfov=5
http://www.go-stereo.com?img=corona/CRN001%20360%20salon%2003.jpg&ftfov=10
http://www.go-stereo.com?img=corona/CRN001%20360%20salon%2003.jpg&ftfov=-5
http://www.go-stereo.com?img=corona/CRN001%20360%20salon%2003.jpg&ftfov=-10
and so on...

You can test it by yourself with other values by changing the last ftfov= value to a value you want to test.

iPhone 6 Plus
+ Perfect scale! Exactly how it needs to be!
-  Turn around is not smooth enough; There is a kind of distortion which make looking not comfortable

I have an iPhone 6+ and sometimes it works great, sometimes the FPS are too low. Strange. I had an interlacing problem myself last night.  I'll keep looking to solve this.

@PROH
The browser used is Mozilla Firefox Nightly Build, and I've got Oculus working with other apps/sites, but not "go-stereo,com".

As I mentioned I haven't tested this. I was stupid enough not to buy the Oculus DK2 developer edition. :(

The main purpose of this web app was to create a simple, open source webVR viewer for google Cardboard. The webVR-polyfill (part of the webVR-boilerplate) also detects Oculus.
That's great but I can't test is myself nor help you with this. A bit of a lame answer, I know. Sorry. Have you tested it in Chrome?

Besides that "go-stereo" wont let me access my dropbox - telling me that I can't use that location - so I'm forced to load it from the HD.

Do you sync dropbox to your HD? What is the problem of loading it from your HD when your are using your desktop? Have you tried to load a file from dropbox with your mobile phone? Does this work? Please provide a bit more info here.

Thanks guys for your comments.

@romullus. I keep posting this in Maru's tutorial thread. Is this okay? Or should I move it to the General CG thread?

2016-02-25, 12:21:12
Reply #91

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
@romullus. I keep posting this in Maru's tutorial thread. Is this okay? Or should I move it to the General CG thread?
I think we can keep everything here, so it will be easier to follow for newcomers.

2016-02-25, 14:14:25
Reply #92

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi rambambulli. Thank you for your answers. No I have not tested it in Chrome - I simply can't make it work in Chrome (Chroium)at all :( I'm really not a programmer...

Regarding loading panos from HD instead of DropBox, then it's no problem. I just thought this could be a reason for my lack of success with Go-Stereo.

I'll keep trying finding a solution.

Thank you for sharing your work :)

2016-02-26, 23:44:30
Reply #93

brian

• Users
    • View Profile
Thanks so much for creating and sharing this, rambambulli! It's absolutely fantastic. Working great for me on Safari on Mac and on iPhone 6 with Google Cardboard viewer.

It would be interesting to have it automatically slowly rotate by default in non-VR mode... I'm looking into how hard it would be to implement something like that.

Also, have you calculated what is the optimal size to render from Corona for viewing on Phone?

2016-02-28, 16:02:39
Reply #94

rambambulli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It would be interesting to have it automatically slowly rotate by default in non-VR mode... I'm looking into how hard it would be to implement something like that.

It is very easy. You just rotate the sphere. This is easy with Three.js. Don't rotate the cameras because it will mess up your gyro or mouse control.
The hard part is not to rotate it but to implement it in the Boilerplate. The webvr boilerplate is not very easy to customize. So you should add code the webvr-mamager.js to start the rotation in pano-mode and stop it in vr-mode. I'll look into it.

BTW Please use the original boilerplate from Github. My source files are experimental and  full of trial and error junk. I haven't found the time to start cleaning them.

Also, have you calculated what is the optimal size to render from Corona for viewing on Phone?

always use an image based on the power of 2. The viewer will correct this if you use for instance a 3000x3000px image. But it is better if you scale it or render it yourself to al least 2048x2048. 4096x4096 works fine (not on an iPhone 6+ somehow). I haven't tried an 8k image yet.

2016-04-12, 12:18:43
Reply #95

AM_visualization

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • amvisualization
Hello everyone, I would try to make a vr image, but I do not understand a passage, when selection spherical image from the camera settings, once I have the spherical image after I still have to divide it into r and l?
Fat biker bounce better

2016-04-12, 14:34:50
Reply #96

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hello everyone, I would try to make a vr image, but I do not understand a passage, when selection spherical image from the camera settings, once I have the spherical image after I still have to divide it into r and l?
Are you using a daily build? They feature full VR support with eye distance, convergence, etc.

2016-04-12, 15:11:01
Reply #97

AM_visualization

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • amvisualization
Are you using a daily build? They feature full VR support with eye distance, convergence, etc.

i think not...i've only the option spherical image.....i'm using corna 1.3
Fat biker bounce better

2016-04-15, 08:11:57
Reply #98

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
VR Camera is currently only implemented in the daily build. Upgrade to that and you get the function, or wait a month till official 1.4 release.

Also, currently starting work on an application for a realtime architect - client review system. Bought a crap ton of phone vr viewers, that can fit into a letter to be send to clients via mail like 1 image attached.
Might do a review from an archviz standpoint. Also, don't buy Cardboard A viewers, or models that are resold with that construction, like image 2. They are awful, compared to Cardboard B models, that were released on Google I/O in 2015.
« Last Edit: 2016-04-15, 08:20:31 by SairesArt »
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2016-04-22, 09:02:16
Reply #99

AM_visualization

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • amvisualization
VR Camera is currently only implemented in the daily build. Upgrade to that and you get the function, or wait a month till official 1.4 release.

Also, currently starting work on an application for a realtime architect - client review system. Bought a crap ton of phone vr viewers, that can fit into a letter to be send to clients via mail like 1 image attached.
Might do a review from an archviz standpoint. Also, don't buy Cardboard A viewers, or models that are resold with that construction, like image 2. They are awful, compared to Cardboard B models, that were released on Google I/O in 2015.

Hi thank you for the information, i'm very interested on application for a rel time...
i bought a cardboard called trailblaver v.2 but i decide to take the samsung gear vr,  have only one doubt which mobile phone to pair it with... you have tips?

thank you
Fat biker bounce better

2016-04-22, 09:48:11
Reply #100

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES

Hi thank you for the information, i'm very interested on application for a rel time...
i bought a cardboard called trailblaver v.2 but i decide to take the samsung gear vr,  have only one doubt which mobile phone to pair it with... you have tips?

thank you

S7Edge is by far the best option in terms of screen size, PPI and better heat dissipation (doesn't overheat much, or at all). The S7 still overheats sometimes. Expensive though...

Also, here are some tips I found elsewhere:

Some things that help:

turn on airplane mode
turn on "Do not disturb" in the Gear VR "back button" menu
set brightness to 6 or so
play in a cooler environment with air movement (with a ceiling fan or desk fan blowing on you)
reboot your phone just before using VR
allow your phone to cool after downloading/installing VR apps or Google Play apps
turn off "auto update" for Oculus Store and Google Play Store so that apps are not downloading while you are in VR
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2016-04-28, 21:48:48
Reply #101

AM_visualization

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • amvisualization
hi, thanks for the help, i've just bought the s7 edge i'm waiting the gear vr...
do you have any suggestion or there something to keep in mind to have a right output image for the app of samsung gear?

Thank you
Fat biker bounce better

2016-04-29, 14:05:18
Reply #102

vhector

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Got still some problems with L-eye R-eye difference.
Use bit the standard settings;
 eye sep: 0,063m
front offset: 0,08
And converge eyes I tried a lot of diffent settings, from off till 1m

But still it keeps beeing unnatural. Total other angle on the objects.

Any advice?

2016-04-29, 14:14:39
Reply #103

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi vhector. The best results I've achieved was with front offset set to 0 and converge set between 1 and 1,2 meter (When front offset wasn't 0, there was some distorting at the poles).

2016-04-29, 15:05:17
Reply #104

vhector

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks PROH,

I tried it. Like the umbella is much more straight. But still objects like the bike, chair, table and glasses are way of. Like the chair is right eye almost from the side and the left is 3/4.
I will go and try different approaches.

2016-04-29, 15:39:49
Reply #105

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Is the scene modeled in a realistic scale?

2016-04-29, 15:44:45
Reply #106

vhector

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes. I must say. For another interior scene I had a bit the same thing. When I faked the unit's by rescaling it went well. So that can be the isseu. But here agin it is real scale.

2016-04-29, 15:48:33
Reply #107

vhector

• Active Users
    • View Profile
oh other thing is. The modifier is made with cm units. I Always use meters. So when I use the modifier it is standard 6,3m, so I have to bring it back to 0,063m.

2016-04-29, 16:00:49
Reply #108

alexyork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Go converge 0, eye distance 0.063m, eye front offset 0. Offers best results in almost all cases we have found.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2016-04-29, 16:53:45
Reply #109

johan belmans

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
Go converge 0, eye distance 0.063m, eye front offset 0. Offers best results in almost all cases we have found.

Hi Alex, I guess with converge you mean "off" instead of "distance At 0"

2016-04-29, 16:57:40
Reply #110

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That's what I meant at least :)

2016-04-29, 17:26:38
Reply #111

alexyork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Yeh although I think that comes to the same thing (need to test...!)
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2016-04-29, 17:30:14
Reply #112

johan belmans

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
Yeh although I think that comes to the same thing (need to test...!)

could be true, but not sure cause off means infinity...
What resolution do you guys render out? We use 6072 by 6072.

2016-04-29, 17:45:17
Reply #113

vhector

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok. So scaled everything 1000x up. Then it looks allright. Only then all athmospheric settings are of and such. So maybe something went wrong with the file. So ant-man settings.....

2016-04-29, 18:01:48
Reply #114

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well don't scale the scene unless it's in wrong scale - it's bound to give you troubles!

Judging from your renders, it does seem likely that there's something wrong with the eye distance, but unless your scene is totally out of scale, then convert it to another unit instead of scale....

Another test to do, is to leave the system units at meters, and changing display units to cm. In some cases working with scripts which works with cm but not meter I've experienced that changing the display units to cm does the trick. Don't know if that's the case here, but maybe...

Hope it helps

2016-04-29, 18:14:18
Reply #115

vhector

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Y was just for testing.

Allready tested with changing diplay unit, but gives the same weird result.

I had the eye distance at 0,063m

The unit missmatch what it gives are the xref forrest pack objects. Those are standard also maybe cm. But it sets the auto rescale.

So not sure jet where it goos wrong. It looks still like an unit mistake, but everything seems ok.

2016-04-29, 19:48:15
Reply #116

AM_visualization

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • amvisualization
Hi,

this is my test on my old scene.

eye separation 6.3 cm
eye front offset 0
converge eye disabled
Fat biker bounce better

2016-05-02, 21:05:57
Reply #117

vertigo1

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is there a list of apps that work with viewing the stacked spherical format output of Corona 1.4 on mobile devices?

I have installed Virtual Desktop to view these on my Oculus Rift DK2, and eventually the CV1, but I am in need of an easy to use app that I can engage with clients remotely, whether they use android or iOS. IrisVR mobile has been serving that purpose extremely well up to now for me using the stereo cube output from VRay and Lumion, you basically just set up an account for the client then provide them with the User ID and Pin, and their images will show up that are uploaded through the web interface.

2016-05-03, 10:30:59
Reply #118

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
we are working on our own app, stay tuned ;)

2016-05-03, 12:42:56
Reply #119

johan belmans

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
oohooh great!
Would it be an app only for VR devices? Or will it work in a web browser as well?
Meaning will it have the same possibilities as Krpano?

2016-05-03, 18:16:18
Reply #120

JoeVallard

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Joe Vallard
Dusted off an unfinished scene to give the VR camera mod a try, before starting the render I also decided to hit 2 birds with one stone and turn on the Denoise. Which works phenomenal! I stopped the render at 47 passes and the default denoise settings made the scene very clean, i actually had to tone it back some, cause I do like some noise to be present.

For those that don't know, with the Samsung Gear VR place the images in Oculus > 360Photos > My Images

2016-05-03, 20:27:30
Reply #121

romanbuha

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Dusted off an unfinished scene to give the VR camera mod a try, before starting the render I also decided to hit 2 birds with one stone and turn on the Denoise. Which works phenomenal! I stopped the render at 47 passes and the default denoise settings made the scene very clean, i actually had to tone it back some, cause I do like some noise to be present.

For those that don't know, with the Samsung Gear VR place the images in Oculus > 360Photos > My Images

Hi Jtveclipse12,

So, did you use Corona to get this image? And then you put this image into your Samsung phone into that folder?
Because, as I know Gear Vr understand VRay renderings (which are divided on more squares)...

2016-05-03, 21:13:50
Reply #122

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz

2016-05-03, 21:15:44
Reply #123

JoeVallard

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Joe Vallard

Hi Jtveclipse12,

So, did you use Corona to get this image? And then you put this image into your Samsung phone into that folder?
Because, as I know Gear Vr understand VRay renderings (which are divided on more squares)...

I used Corona 1.4 RC2, its in the daily builds. Theres a setting for VR, i just used the default settings with the eye width of  6.3cm. Saved the image into the mentioned folder location above. Oculus 360 Photos app on the Samsung Gear VR recognizes its just fine.

Ive compared the VR render to a standard photosphere and there is definitely depth in the VR one, it is working. The only issue ive notice is they dont generate thumbnails in the file browser.

Here's a screenshot of it in the Oculus 360 Photo App. I'll render out some other angles later.

Also as a note, HDRIs and Backplates stand out like a sore thumb in VR.

2016-05-03, 21:39:57
Reply #124

romanbuha

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Jtveclipse12,

Thanks for your clear answer! Sounds great.

So the next question is - would it be able to get the same result on Google Cardboard and when?

2016-05-03, 21:50:09
Reply #125

JoeVallard

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Joe Vallard
Jtveclipse12,

So the next question is - would it be able to get the same result on Google Cardboard and when?

Maru posted the info needed for it to run on Cardboard.
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,10592.msg67811.html#msg67811
The image needs to be split into a left and right, and the app mentioned is needed.

2016-05-03, 21:54:54
Reply #126

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Jtveclipse12,

[SEMI-Offtopic]
Currently working heavily on a Cardboard related project.
After trying many viewers, I gotta say, the cardboard experience is heavily dependent on the viewer.
All Google printouts or products based on it suck so badly.

Stuff thats a little more developed, yet equally as cheap like the knox v2 do a good job. You need have a 1080, 5,5 inch phone at least or the experience is awful.
Next thing is implementation, if you use any app outside the Android Cardboard eco system be prepared for some heavy tweaking. All the different viewers are tagged by a QR code, that saves distortion values, fov, de abboration values and so on. But they are encoded behind a proprietary library called the google protocol buffer, which require a .proto, which is on github to decode that stuff + compiling and running the encoded QR code with the .proto file through Google's proto buffer library.
So any viewer that was setup by the google calibration proces, has all the values encoded. I spoke with many cardboard related vendors in the past month. No one has any idea what their values or even what their FOV is, since all data is hidden in the QR code encoded. Thus, any app outside the cardboard ecosystem, that did not take the time to implement this decoder will suck suck suck.
Since I'm kinda coding around in the field, I will post a conversion app in about a month for other to get their Viewers values, since currently nobody did anything like that.

But other than that, the experience is really great for us archviz people. It does it's job once properly setup.
[/SEMI-Offtopic]

2016-05-03, 22:31:49
Reply #127

JoeVallard

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Joe Vallard
Jtveclipse12,

[SEMI-Offtopic]
Currently working heavily on a Cardboard related project.
After trying many viewers, I gotta say, the cardboard experience is heavily dependent on the viewer.
All Google printouts or products based on it suck so badly.

Stuff thats a little more developed, yet equally as cheap like the knox v2 do a good job. You need have a 1080, 5,5 inch phone at least or the experience is awful.
Next thing is implementation, if you use any app outside the Android Cardboard eco system be prepared for some heavy tweaking. All the different viewers are tagged by a QR code, that saves distortion values, fov, de abboration values and so on. But they are encoded behind a proprietary library called the google protocol buffer, which require a .proto, which is on github to decode that stuff + compiling and running the encoded QR code with the .proto file through Google's proto buffer library.
So any viewer that was setup by the google calibration proces, has all the values encoded. I spoke with many cardboard related vendors in the past month. No one has any idea what their values or even what their FOV is, since all data is hidden in the QR code encoded. Thus, any app outside the cardboard ecosystem, that did not take the time to implement this decoder will suck suck suck.
Since I'm kinda coding around in the field, I will post a conversion app in about a month for other to get their Viewers values, since currently nobody did anything like that.

But other than that, the experience is really great for us archviz people. It does it's job once properly setup.
[/SEMI-Offtopic]

I have found the Gear VR more enjoyable to use use VS the iamcardboard i had. The FOV was greatly different. With the cardboard it felt as if you were looking through a tunnel.

The only issues ive ran across on the Gear VR.
1: Not being able to run Cardboard apps out of the box
2: My lenses are constantly fogging up.

Ive loaded the same photosphere in both Gear VR and Cardboard. Its a bit smoother in the Gear VR compared to cardboard.

2016-05-03, 22:37:57
Reply #128

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Fov is different with every viewer. Some, like these have stupidly low FOV, due to their build. It really depends. I have seen everything from ~70° up to ~110° working.
You have to get lucky finding the right combo of phone and viewer. But Cardboard will never even come close to something so well developed as gear VR.

And smoothness... ohh yeah I'm concerned as hell hitting good frame times. With de abboration and correct undistortion stuff gets laggy fast, without awesome low level impelmented stuff like unity does.

2016-05-04, 09:46:08
Reply #129

AM_visualization

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • amvisualization

2: My lenses are constantly fogging up.

I've the same problem, solved using a antifog diver spray!!
Fat biker bounce better

2016-05-04, 11:38:46
Reply #130

rambambulli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
we are working on our own app, stay tuned ;)

Yiiihaaa. Great Ondra.
Please share some ETA. I'm planning to rewrite/adjust the latest update of the webVR-boilerplate so it can be used with Corona 1.4 Stereos. But whenever I can postpone having to write some Javascript I centainly will :D.

2016-05-04, 13:22:04
Reply #131

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
no ETA yet. It will be properly announced

2016-05-05, 15:01:19
Reply #132

vertigo1

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2016-05-05, 15:54:33
Reply #133

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
I answer at two questions/issues read above: (I have the Gear VR since last weekend so I am learning too...)

1. Use Cardboard apps in Gear VR

Just download the "Play Cardboard apps" from the google store and will do all the job. Is a simple app which basically turns off the Oculus SW when the phone gets into the viewer every time. Very neat and simple and it works! :)

2. As for the thumbnails, I read that you have to load a small PNG thumbnail in the same 360PHOTOS folder where the high res image is saved and use the same name... Didn't tried it yet.

My two cents!

Dionysios -

2016-05-06, 16:26:14
Reply #134

vertigo1

• Active Users
    • View Profile
By the way, the 360 photo viewer in Virtual Desktop presents Corona VR output remarkably well. It can also display the 12:1 cubemaps (not quite as well) and is all around a pretty nice software to have if you are using a PC based VR HMD.

2016-05-07, 13:47:57
Reply #135

AM_visualization

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • amvisualization

2. As for the thumbnails, I read that you have to load a small PNG thumbnail in the same 360PHOTOS folder where the high res image is saved and use the same name... Didn't tried it yet.

Hi,

i've just tried but it seems dont work...maybe something wrong in resize image or save the png file...

Thanks
Fat biker bounce better

2016-05-08, 17:59:25
Reply #136

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
I received an update yesterday for the Occulus app and now the system creates the thumbnails once you open the photos in Gear VR. Cool!!!

2016-05-17, 11:11:10
Reply #137

mrsacan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
For ios (+google cardboard), "stereoscopic 3D 360 photo Player - VR Gallery" kinda works (you split your render and add seperate images for both eyes).
App have serious auto-rotation problem but, so far that's the easiest app I found.

edit : and.. it's a heavy charge consumer
« Last Edit: 2016-05-18, 13:28:23 by aleeriza »

2016-05-18, 05:08:43
Reply #138

Ando

• Active Users
    • View Profile
For ios (+google cardboard), "stereoscopic 3D 360 photo Player - VR Gallery" kinda works (you split your render and add seperate images for both eyes).
App have serious auto-rotation problem but, so far that's the easiest app I found.

The best app i have found is the "Mobile VR Station" for ios. It displays a dozen different options from Pano too 3DLeft/Right too 3D 360 Sphere Top/Bottom.
Takes a couple of seconds to focus but isnt bad for a $20 headset..

Cant wait for the Corona App Ondra was talking about!

Cheers,
Ando

2016-05-18, 10:56:59
Reply #139

vhector

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nice.

With the official 1.4 version the scale isseu is resolved.
Still not perfect especially with the near tree. But hink that is resolvable with eye conversion,. I had it checked out.

Courious how it will looks with the real equipment at the EUE:P. So going to tst it with some real scenes.....

2016-05-18, 12:56:06
Reply #140

AM_visualization

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • amvisualization
very interesting test, i think that mine next experiment with stereoscopic image it will be on a exterior image!
I have to figure out how to make a360photo and then photomerge my 3d model......:)
Fat biker bounce better

2016-06-03, 13:01:10
Reply #141

LuckyFox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Scans
Hey guys, we've got an Oculus CV1 and were trying to get a corona rendered pano in it. We've got it in 5000x2500 which from the looks of it is wrong as it seams like it shall be square aspect.
Can somebody give advice on how to get it working with CV1 apart from square render and puting it in the right folder?

2016-06-03, 15:12:39
Reply #142

vertigo1

• Active Users
    • View Profile
A few steps you didn't mention, so just to be sure you are not missing one:

1. Use the 'corona camera mod' modifier on the camera that you want to render and check stereoscopic in the settings.

2. Render in square aspect. 4096x4096 has worked well for me.

3. Download/install the 360 Photos app from Oculus Home.

4. Place the image in the correct folder and then it will show up under 'My Pictures' or something like that in the app.

I may still be oversimplifying it a little, but these steps should put you on the right track.

2016-06-03, 15:54:15
Reply #143

LuckyFox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Scans
A few steps...
Thank you vertigo, much appreciated. Will have to render square aspect ratio, overwise your other steps were also checked when we did the first test.

2016-07-11, 17:12:11
Reply #144

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Wait... What is this...? Stereo pano with DOF!?
I wonder if anyone can guess how it's done. :)

Btw, I discovered a nice simple VR app for android you can use to view panos with Cardboard, before Corona VR is out. It loads up "over-under" images, so you can use the ones straight from VFB.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.poppolab.panoramaviewer

2016-07-11, 17:41:09
Reply #145

alexyork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Wait... What is this...? Stereo pano with DOF!?
I wonder if anyone can guess how it's done. :)

Btw, I discovered a nice simple VR app for android you can use to view panos with Cardboard, before Corona VR is out. It loads up "over-under" images, so you can use the ones straight from VFB.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.poppolab.panoramaviewer

This isn't bad! Nice to have another alternative. I wish it was native 4k.... I have a 4k Sony phone, but unless the app is running natively at 4k it only runs at the usual 1080p or whatever it is.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2016-08-12, 23:04:22
Reply #146

Remi.V

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • MYREZE AS
Does anybody know any workflow on how to get this working with a Samsung Gear VR?

Exporting the jpgs isn't much of a problem and renaming them to .vr makes the files appear when using the 360 Oculus photos app, but there is no depth. Somehow, google cardboard camera's panoramas are read by the oculus 360 app and they even have depth. There is probably some metadata implemented into the files which I don't know how to achieve as I don't understand to output it from a software that way.

If anyone has found a pipeline on how to do this, I would really appreciate their help :)

2016-08-12, 23:34:02
Reply #147

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Don't forget you can always sign up to the Corona VR beta :) Goes beyond simply displaying a single image.

https://corona-renderer.com/blog/introducing-corona-vr/
http://beta.theconstruct.tech/coronavr

For simple viewing of single images with no extra features, however, in Samsung VR (you'll need to change the display type to 3DV once in the Samsung VR app) or Oculus 360 Photos, straightforward JPGs work just fine, no need to rename to .vr, and default settings work for the Spherical VR mod settings, all you need is to change Image Aspect to 1 to get a square image.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2016-08-13, 01:06:32
Reply #148

Remi.V

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • MYREZE AS
Thanks for the tip about VR :) I didn't know you had a project like that going on :) Signed up!

When it comes to your answer about samsung, I can't find the setting you were referring to within the gear vr app (3DV display).

Is this supposed to work in a way to give my Corona renderings depth as well with just one image? As far as I understand, when the vr feature is activated, Corona renders a split render for each eye?

2016-08-13, 15:37:59
Reply #149

Remi.V

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • MYREZE AS
Ah!
I figured it out :-) I didn't realize I could use the render with both panoramas straight out of corona and Photos 360 understands it as a 3d panorama :-)

I guess I was too caught up in the detail from the tutorial on splitting the two panoramas into left and right eye :)

2016-08-15, 14:35:04
Reply #150

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Glad you got it all working in Photos 360! And glad you signed up for Corona VR too, excellent!

For the Samsung app, it displays the photo as flat by default (so you see both left and right eye image one above the other), and you can tap on the GearVR control pad to bring up a menu which includes the display option, tap on that until you get to 3DV, then when the menu fades out it will pop into that mode and work as expected. That said, the Samsung VR app is less crisp and sharp than Photos 360 or Corona VR, so I wouldn't actually recommend using it - but the option is there if needed for some reason.

2016-08-22, 18:37:13
Reply #151

romanbuha

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Guys!

Is anybody knows what HMD is now giving the best quality when viewing the VR / 360 images?
I mean the quality, which is most close to Gear VR...
Actually, the problem is about iPhone. Because there is no VR Glasses made by Apple for iPhone..

I tested few google cardboards with my iPhones and at this point VR Box 2.0 looks the best. But the bigger phone - the better image.

Thanks!

Roman

2016-08-23, 19:35:56
Reply #152

F13Design

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • F13 Design Studio, LLC
Just curious, I was looking at Pano2VR a loooong time ago, before VR took off so quickly in 2016. Has anyone looked into this software to be used for VR? Thanks! Looking into it again, because of the ability to create hotspots in your Pano's that would allow for you to move throughout your space.
Michael Secrist
F13 Design Studio, LLC
www.f13design.com

2016-08-23, 20:15:25
Reply #153

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
For hotspots to move through your space, I'd suggest Corona VR :)

https://corona-renderer.com/blog/introducing-corona-vr/

You can sign up for the beta here:
http://beta.theconstruct.tech/coronavr

2016-08-23, 21:33:13
Reply #154

F13Design

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • F13 Design Studio, LLC
Well, now that I know Corona is this far along, I think I'm going to try it out. Thanks, Tom G. for the heads up! I signed up, so now I will wait to see if they allow me in. :)

Best,
Mike
Michael Secrist
F13 Design Studio, LLC
www.f13design.com

2016-08-23, 21:42:04
Reply #155

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Welcome aboard! Good to hear you signed up :)

2016-08-23, 21:49:17
Reply #156

F13Design

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • F13 Design Studio, LLC
Thanks Tom! I'm really looking forward to it!
Michael Secrist
F13 Design Studio, LLC
www.f13design.com

2016-09-08, 12:44:08
Reply #157

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
Hi,
unfortunately, my 5.5" smartphone is "only" FullHD.
I created this simple scene for a client (testing purpose). In attachment the Left and Right render (8K)
With 8k or 4k, the difference is really minimal.
I want to ask you, for the users with 4K resolution phone, if the can play with the 8k render (6K and 4k) if they see the difference.
And, is it evident the 3D effect in this render?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 2016-09-08, 13:09:21 by cecofuli »

2016-09-09, 13:56:29
Reply #158

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Textured version

2016-09-09, 16:01:12
Reply #159

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Looks really nice in CoronaVR! I pasted the two images into one over/under stacked format and loaded it in. I really like the volumetrics in 3D from the sun, that looks awesome! And I love the sense of height and space.

I did find it slightly disconcerting to see I was hovering in space above a very long drop - I wanted to get back onto the safety of the platform behind me :)

2016-09-09, 16:13:52
Reply #160

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
BTW on the questions in your previous post - my testing done on a Galaxy S7 with the GearVR. Looks great there as mentioned! The 3D effect is very distinct and strong. For comparing 4K and 8K, I didn't see two different versions, but happy to take a look if those are available, usually the higher resolution does make a difference to image sharpness in the VR app, with 4K being a recommended minimum.

2016-09-09, 16:47:17
Reply #161

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I just loaded it into my cardboard with a 720p display, and it's still pretty awesome! The feeling of depth and height is super clear in this one. I also discovered a nice feature in my pano viewer - if you pinch the screen you can change fov, so you can end up with a "tiny planet" style 3d fisheye panorama. That's crazy, but it's still stereoscopic!

Here is a merged version, hope Cecofuli doesn't mind:
« Last Edit: 2016-09-09, 17:05:12 by maru »

2016-09-09, 19:25:30
Reply #162

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm surprise for your excitement =)
I created this scene  just for fun!

TomG: if you look at back, the untextured version, is in 8K.
Maru: everithing is ok

2016-09-09, 19:34:59
Reply #163

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I did have a look at the 8K, not quite comparing apples-to-apples since one is textured and one is not, but I would say the 8K was sharper. That said, there wasn't anything in the 4K that looked bad in any way.

I like these images just because we don't see too many VR images yet, plus I like the scale of the place, great to see such a huge space done in VR. Then the sunlight was also really good, I take it that was volumetrics? Never thought on trying those in VR, will have to give it a go sometime just for the fun of it! It looked awesome in this scene, however it was created :)

2016-09-09, 19:42:51
Reply #164

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So, is for you enough 4K? Because 8K = 4x rendering time for the same quality.
If 4K is good enough, these isn't sense to render in 8K. =)
This is my doubt

2016-09-09, 19:59:03
Reply #165

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Does depend on your target audience. For general public consumption, I think 4K would be fine. For anything professional, I would recommend 8K - I can see the difference, and when every drop of quality and professionalism counts, 8K would be the way to go.

So, doing something for fun, 4K is more than enough. For impressing an architectural firm, or a manufacturer, or their clients, I'd say 8K is the way to go. While 4K won't make anyone go "Oh this isn't very good", when compared there is a visible win for the 8K, and you do want that when it comes to some work. Does take longer to render, but does make a visible difference (at least, on things like the GearVR) and gives that extra sharpness and polish! At least, that is my opinion based on my testing so far.

Hope the info helps!

2016-09-09, 20:04:29
Reply #166

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2016-09-09, 22:52:38
Reply #167

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
I did two renders to test for exactly this. Due to time I had 4k mostly and rerendered 8k to compare.
On cardboard with a 1080 screen, there is zero difference. Even after flipping back and forth for a minute. I think for cardboard 1440p would be the drop off, where 8k may make a small difference. You can opt for 6144² instead.

There obviously is a difference for non cardboard VR.

The big question from me: in lat-long projection we render mostly ceiling and floor, which barely get looked at. The main interest sides get only half the resolution of top and bottom. With cubemap it is equal, so it would be awesome to know the point where quality increase drops off for those.

I recall from a Carmack Keynote, that for GearVR "16k cubemaps" is the optimum. Presuming the length is meant, with stereo rendering on, it is 1333px² per Square.

4k vs 8k attached
« Last Edit: 2016-09-09, 22:59:09 by SairesArt »

2016-09-10, 00:28:22
Reply #168

johan belmans

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
IMHO not everyone is VR Cardboard ready. Because a few among us have a VR device and most of the smartphones in use don't have a gyro sensor.
So most people will experience 360° panoramas by a web application. With this in mind my VR's have a resolution of 11K.
So if one zoom in on a web app it's still sharp, at least on my 24" monitor.

http://belly.be/Dilsen/tour.html

I used to go for 13K, but it seems Denoiser needs more then 128 GB of RAM without crashing. Reported this issue on Mantis

https://corona-renderer.com/bugs/view.php?id=2011
« Last Edit: 2016-09-10, 00:32:43 by belly »

2016-09-10, 16:14:27
Reply #169

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok,
this is the final version in 8K.
NL: 4.1 - Rendering Time: 18 hours =)  (i7 970)
I had no free time to play with it more =)
what do you think, TomG?
Do you see the difference with th 4K
In this last version, I had to change a little bit the camera position.
The target and the Camera source weren't exactly on the same hight, before.

Bye!

« Last Edit: 2016-09-10, 16:19:42 by cecofuli »

2016-09-10, 17:12:01
Reply #170

JacopoGrosso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jacopogrosso.com
Ok,
this is the final version in 8K.
NL: 4.1 - Rendering Time: 18 hours =)  (i7 970)
I had no free time to play with it more =)
what do you think, TomG?
Do you see the difference with th 4K
In this last version, I had to change a little bit the camera position.
The target and the Camera source weren't exactly on the same hight, before.

Bye!

Wow great! I think it's very realistic! Could I try to use your pano as a HDRI? Obviously with your permission. Because I was thinking to create artificial environments for HDRI illumination :)

2016-09-12, 15:17:08
Reply #171

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for sharing the images!

Yep, on the GearVR with an S7, there is a noticeable difference in clarity between 4K and 8K with both SairesArt's and cecofuli's images.

For example, in SairesArt's images, the radiator is a good example - the grille on top is sharp and clear in the 8K, but loses detail in the 4K. This can be seen in the 4K image, crop attached - the more distant part of the radiator loses the distinction between the grille elements, and of course that is what you see in VR too. Could be the extra detail in the 8K is lost in Cardboard and ends up just as blurry, depending on the phone and viewer, so that the 8K doesn't look any sharper even though the source image has extra detail; but it is noticeable in CoronaVR on the equipment noted.

That extra sharpness really does add to the experience!

2016-09-13, 23:05:36
Reply #172

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In attachment, the rendering with different Eyes separation.
Only 2K and 45 minutes or rendering, but the quality wasn't the purpose of this test.
I think that you can see clearly the differences.

(*) If you have a closer objects, it's better to have Eyes separation: max 15cm. Otherwise you have a problems with nausea.
(*) If you have a big room, like in this scene, you can use ,  Eyes separation: from 20cm to 50 cm. The 3D effect will be better, but the room It may seem.. "small".

Enjoy =)

In order:

(*) 2cm
(*) 5cm
(*) 10cm
(*) 20cm
(*) 30cm
(*) 50cm

« Last Edit: 2016-09-13, 23:09:26 by cecofuli »

2016-09-15, 12:38:12
Reply #173

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
hmmm, I thought the eye separation should be always left at 0,063m

2016-09-15, 12:58:07
Reply #174

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
changing the eye separation is exactly the same as scaling the entire scene in the opposite direction. Using half separation value means the 3D effect is as if the entire scene was enlarged to 200%. So there is good chance that the scene will appear too small/too large in that case

2016-09-15, 13:06:54
Reply #175

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
From my previous test, with low eye separation like 63mm, you have a good 3D "sensation", when you are working in a small room.
But, if you work inside a big room, like my factory, the 3D effect isn't so evident, especially for the far walls and red railings.
So, in this situation (like in a stadium), it's better to use >20cm-30.
But, as Ondra already said, the entire scene seems a little bit "small".

In my scene, we have both situations: close objects (the three "balconies) and the very far walls.
So, you have to choose a "compromise". For me, 10 cm was ok. Maybe 15... but it created some bad effect for the very close objects.

As you can see, with 20cm we have some overlapping on the two balconies, but for far objects, the 3D overlapping is very small.
Viceregal, with 50cm is good for the far walls, you can have a nice 3D vision, but you have the "feeling" the the factory is lime a miniature.
But you have too much overlapping for the balconies and a bad "nausa effect" when you watch the balconies.

« Last Edit: 2016-09-15, 13:12:26 by cecofuli »

2016-09-15, 14:51:09
Reply #176

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
Thanks for getting back guys! :)

Dionysios -

2016-09-15, 16:04:35
Reply #177

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Eye offset.
Honestly, I don't see any differences in the stereoscopic perception with my 3D glasses.
Just a distortion on close objects =)

In short, Offset "stretches" the lower and the top part of the spherical rendering, by using the view horizontal line as a symmetry axis.

« Last Edit: 2016-09-15, 18:17:03 by cecofuli »

2016-09-15, 16:15:31
Reply #178

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
Great examples! Thanks!

And what about the Converge eyes options?.

Dionysios -

2016-09-15, 16:30:34
Reply #180

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging

2016-09-15, 18:12:32
Reply #181

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Converge

2016-09-15, 18:42:08
Reply #182

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
Can't check the last images now but I am curious to know what converge values does at the end... :)

Thanks!

Dionysios -

2016-09-15, 18:59:32
Reply #183

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In short, use the default settings: infinite.

If you use a short focus, like 1-2 meter, you will see bad far objects. From 5 to 100 meters, the differences are minimal.
Why? Because the two virtual cameras (left and right) are, more or less, parallel.

Don't use 0.5 mt! Everything is double! It's the same when you want to try your friend's glasses with 5 diopters! =)
« Last Edit: 2016-09-15, 20:09:14 by cecofuli »

2016-09-15, 19:01:23
Reply #184

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
My clue was the same... :)

Thanks for making all these tests!

Dionysios -

2016-09-15, 20:04:07
Reply #185

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2016-09-15, 20:36:03
Reply #186

F13Design

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • F13 Design Studio, LLC
I just loaded it into my cardboard with a 720p display, and it's still pretty awesome! The feeling of depth and height is super clear in this one. I also discovered a nice feature in my pano viewer - if you pinch the screen you can change fov, so you can end up with a "tiny planet" style 3d fisheye panorama. That's crazy, but it's still stereoscopic!

Maru,
What viewer software are you using to view this with google cardboard? I've been using Jeroen's viewer through go-stereo and it works really well with a iphone 6+ but as soon as I try an iphone 6 i start to see double vision. Thanks!
Michael Secrist
F13 Design Studio, LLC
www.f13design.com

2016-09-16, 15:49:49
Reply #187

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile

Maru,
What viewer software are you using to view this with google cardboard? I've been using Jeroen's viewer through go-stereo and it works really well with a iphone 6+ but as soon as I try an iphone 6 i start to see double vision. Thanks!
I placed the link to the software I am using under the words "pano viewer" in my post you quoted. :)

2016-09-21, 18:01:11
Reply #188

AM_visualization

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • amvisualization
Hi, i started to create with the amazing vr tour corona app some interesting tour to view in my gear vr, but now i need if is possible some viewer that can manage the tour create with corona....
usuallly i used pano viewer but now (and i dont know why...)there isnt in the goggle store for my contry....
anyone have some usefull advice.....

thank you!
Fat biker bounce better

2016-10-02, 20:50:05
Reply #189

filipskrzat

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys do you have any experience with those 360 panoramas on samsung vr?
What do you think would be best resolution?

2016-10-02, 22:55:13
Reply #190

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
Hey guys do you have any experience with those 360 panoramas on samsung vr?
What do you think would be best resolution?

Hi, the best should be 8192 x 8192 if you choose spherical mode.

Cheers!

Dionysios -

2016-11-14, 16:18:15
Reply #191

AM_visualization

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • amvisualization
Hi,
I have the need to share my vr images with clients, is there any site that offers a display service?
cutting my images in half I can use them as pano images? I have to georeference it?

Thank you
Fat biker bounce better

2017-04-22, 17:27:16
Reply #192

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys, i have loaded your samples in my S8 to try out the gear VR, with oculus 360°, and there is not any depth to it. I can't see any stereo effect at all. i've imported the stacked version (2 images in one), and it was displayed correctl but i think i'm able to see only one side.

2017-04-22, 18:28:08
Reply #193

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi guys, i have loaded your samples in my S8 to try out the gear VR, with oculus 360°, and there is not any depth to it. I can't see any stereo effect at all. i've imported the stacked version (2 images in one), and it was displayed correctl but i think i'm able to see only one side.
Can you check if there is any camera offset between the two sides? It should be easy to check using for example Photoshop to just compare the two sides.

2017-04-23, 17:24:20
Reply #194

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile

yes i've checked, this is the one you've made from cecofuli's tests

2017-04-24, 10:29:49
Reply #195

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is there a rule for the position of the images (ex: left on top and right on bottom) ?

2017-04-24, 12:26:55
Reply #196

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Pretty sure this used to work, but looks like at some point during the frequent updates to GearVR / Oculus, you now just get a flat pano image rather than stereo. My guess is that the 360 Photos app is now looking for a different image format (could be related to image resolution as the test image I used was the 8K one from earlier in the thread that Marcin made; or perhaps it now only works with cubemap rather than spherical) - best bet would be to follow up with Oculus and see what format it is expecting these days, or of course use CoronaVR :)

I haven't found any conclusive or useful info with a search for how 360 Photos works with stereo panos these days (and in fact, due to that, I've been using a Cardboard app to view stereo photos or panos if I want to check them outside of CoronaVR, as just doesn't seem to be reliable info on what 360 Photos is expecting these days for stereo images).

2017-04-24, 12:40:42
Reply #197

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Actually it was a 4K spherical, resized it to 1,2 and 8K, still didn't work in the 360 photos app. I did get a stereo effect from a cubemap, but it was reversed left-to-right - I did read somewhere that 360 Photos has it's own particular expectation for the order of images in a cubemap, apparently different from the "standard". Hope this helps!

2017-04-24, 14:22:51
Reply #198

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thx for the feedback ! I managed to get stereo effect through Samsung VR app. You can choose between various projection types which is really neat !
« Last Edit: 2017-04-24, 14:44:43 by Fluss »

2017-04-24, 14:48:12
Reply #199

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is coronaVR available for Gear VR, on the oculus store ?

2017-04-24, 15:23:01
Reply #200

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
It's in beta at the moment so not available through the store - this page has all the info you need to sign up, and tutorials on how to use it! corona-renderer.com/vr/

2017-04-24, 19:14:58
Reply #201

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thx ! I registered and i'm waiting for the approval. Do you plan to support the new Gear VR remote controller ? I've got it and i have to say that it is considerably better than the gear VR built-in touchpad.
« Last Edit: 2017-04-25, 09:30:52 by Fluss »

2017-05-17, 14:53:13
Reply #202

Bzuco

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • personal web page
Hi

I am testing stereoscopic images on 5.5 inches phone with xiaomi VR play 3d glasses.
When I look through lenses I see no more than red circle area.

My question is if there are on market some 3d glasses for 5.5 inches mobile screen which can cover with their lenses almost whole screen area (green circle) ?
Do you have similar experience with your glasses?
If you have some free time, please try image in attachment on your glasses and let me know how big circle of view do you see, how big is your mobile screen and what 3D glasses are you using 8-). Thanks.

2017-09-27, 09:39:30
Reply #203

skyp

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, guys.

Could you please advise me how I can issue this bug which I get when compiling panorama?
Thanks