Author Topic: Fade borders in Corona Lights  (Read 3111 times)

2015-02-21, 17:50:56

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I'd love if there be Fade borders checkbox in CoronaLights. Curve editor wouldn't hurt either. Lights in reflections would look much nicer with it.
Yes, i know that it's easy to manually plug gradient ramp in light's texmap slot. But if one wants to retain control over color temperature, he needs put additional CoronaColor map into gradient ramp. So controls over this simple feature gets to much scattered. One simple checkbox in CoronaLight could save a lot of clicks and made users happy :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-02-21, 18:27:17
Reply #1

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I don't think it would be a good idea. Map input is a lot more flexible, and also this is not as often used feature. For some of the light source shapes it doesn't even make any sense. So since it's not as frequently used, and since this solution would be only for very specific thing, it would just clutter the UI. If you need this advanced effect, you definitely should go the extra mile of using gradient with CoronaColor plugged in.

From my experience, sooner or later, everyone wants to push themselves a bit further, in this case, one would probably start to use real photographed HDR images of lighting apertures to push realism even further, and the checkbox would remain forgotten, just creating visual clutter.

Map input already allows for this, and much more, so it really would not make sense to have two ways of doing same thing, one more flexible, other one less flexible.

2015-02-21, 18:59:52
Reply #2

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I think it would be a nice script addition. But I am not sure about adding it to Corona itself
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-02-23, 00:39:17
Reply #3

ecximer

• Active Users
  • Scriptobot
    • View Profile
A simple script GradientCoronaLight that adds additional rollout in CoronaLight.
Tested in 2014x64
! Work with BerconMaps plugin only! http://www.ylilammi.com/2013/09/berconmaps/
Just copy to "3dsmaxRoot_folder/Scripts/Startup" and restart 3dsMax
sorry for my english

2015-03-17, 15:46:08
Reply #4

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
great, so that is settled then ;)

ecximer: you should create a thread for it in the goodies section ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)