Chaos Corona for Cinema 4D > [C4D] General Discussion

Move from Octane GTX 3090 to Apple Silicon

(1/3) > >>

haffy:
Hi,

I want to do the move from my current Razer Blade with eGPU GTX 3090 to an Apple Macbook Pro M1 Max, I know that there will be a drop in performance. I just want to know how big it will be, and if I can live with it.

I will use render farm (wich one is simplest, press and send?) for final render, I did that with Octane too.  One day maby I will buy a render slave with like Threadripper or something, but the market is crazy right now. Will Corona work with a slave with another type of CPU?

Has there been any new tests between these two beasts, GTX 3080/3090 and M1 Pro/Max?

I am very greatfull for any real world answwers I can get, I have had enough of problems of late with computers and rendering.

TomG:
"Will Corona work with a slave with another type of CPU?"

Yes, for all forms of network rendering, Corona will work with any mix of CPUs.

haffy:
Anyone ? Is the future for Mac and rendering so dark?

davetwo:
There are many, many variables so I'm not sure you can make direct comparisons to be honest. All I can say is that I've been very happy using Corona with my my macbookpro for all my concept work (stills, 2.5K).

I use a workstation for bigger/final files. But hear that Ranch and Rebus are both reliable and reasonable  if you want to use a farm instead.

PS. In my not-very-extensive testing, much of the supposed speed gains from Octane just weren't there compared to Corona, as I always needed to crank-up the various settings to get a decent result.

haffy:
Interesting davetwo, very much so. Do you know if there is a benchmark with the latest patch/version out yet? Would love to see some speed data before changing my current setup. I tested a Blender scene in cycles, on my Blade it was 19 min and on the Mac it was 6 hours. Anything under 30 min and all would have been good, but 6 hours was to bad. That is why I want to see some data.
My trial is out..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version