Author Topic: [Solved] Zdepth showing strange vignetting  (Read 2879 times)

2021-03-18, 17:23:41

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Im rendering a large flat sheet and using either camera environment ranges or max min values, i get strange vignetting on the zdepth pass.
Is this a known bug?
« Last Edit: 2023-02-17, 14:34:16 by Aram Avetisyan »

2021-03-18, 17:57:35
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry, not sure what I am looking at here - is this the zdepth? What is strange about the vingetting (darkening at edges)? Given that the ZDepth is real 3D distance, the points on the plane at the edge will be further away so would be expected to be darker etc. depending on your min max distances for the ZDepth. So I am not sure what is unexpected here, can you explain more please? Thanks!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2021-03-18, 18:51:32
Reply #2

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry, not sure what I am looking at here - is this the zdepth? What is strange about the vingetting (darkening at edges)? Given that the ZDepth is real 3D distance, the points on the plane at the edge will be further away so would be expected to be darker etc. depending on your min max distances for the ZDepth. So I am not sure what is unexpected here, can you explain more please? Thanks!

Ah that makes sense i assumed zdepth was calculated only by distance along one axis but youre saying its calculated by total ray distance and so the corners of the plane being further than the center will appear darker?

I thought that given im rendering from directly above the plane it would have all been calculated to be the same level as its the same distance on the Z axis?

2021-03-18, 19:00:24
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Right, it's actual, absolute distance, from the point the camera is at - so the distance from the camera to one of the corners is longer than the distance from the camera to the point directly below it (in the center of the image). It's not a measure of distance from the plane the camera occupies, but from the point it is at :)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2021-03-18, 19:07:18
Reply #4

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Right, it's actual, absolute distance, from the point the camera is at - so the distance from the camera to one of the corners is longer than the distance from the camera to the point directly below it (in the center of the image). It's not a measure of distance from the plane the camera occupies, but from the point it is at :)

That makes perfect sense i assumed it was calculated a different way :)

2021-03-18, 19:33:17
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
You need to switch to ortho camera if you want to bake maps from flat plane. Corona camera has very convenient ortho mode where it lets you to set-up render area precisely.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-03-18, 22:39:17
Reply #6

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You need to switch to ortho camera if you want to bake maps from flat plane. Corona camera has very convenient ortho mode where it lets you to set-up render area precisely.

Amazing! Thank you :)