Author Topic: Option to actually turn scene lights on and off via the LightMix tab  (Read 2760 times)

2020-09-24, 15:40:18

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It would be great if there was the option within the lightmix tab in the buffer to actually turn the lights on or off rather than just turning off the layer.
It would stop those times when a render goes wrong because the light is still on in the scene after playing in lightmix.

Not an urgent feature but a 'nice to have'
« Last Edit: 2020-10-05, 16:07:42 by maru »

2020-09-24, 17:15:17
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
It would stop those times when a render goes wrong because the light is still on in the scene after playing in lightmix.

How exactly does a render go wrong then?

Generally, the idea right now is that LightMix is non-destructive to the scene, unless you press the >Scene button.
Or do you mean disabling the lights after pressing the >Scene button?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-09-24, 17:50:29
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
This would have to be in >Scene, if anywhere - because you might be adjusting LightMix in the CIE, or after rendering has finished (and "actually turning the lights off" would require a render restart, which is what LightMix is there to avoid, in general)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2020-09-24, 21:29:10
Reply #3

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

How exactly does a render go wrong then?

Generally, the idea right now is that LightMix is non-destructive to the scene, unless you press the >Scene button.
Or do you mean disabling the lights after pressing the >Scene button?

If you aren't rendering to cxr locally and are rendering to exr via deadline and you have turned a lightmix layer off, you may be expecting your final render to have the light off because its quite easy to forget that its still on in the scene. It doesnt need to necessarily be a lightmix feature, it would just make sense to be in there given that its exclusively used for playing with scene lighting outside of the viewport.

This would have to be in >Scene, if anywhere - because you might be adjusting LightMix in the CIE, or after rendering has finished (and "actually turning the lights off" would require a render restart, which is what LightMix is there to avoid, in general)

I wasn't suggesting replacing the current checkboxes. Just perhaps an indicator that easily shows you which lights in the scene are actually on or off and it makes sense that the only other place you play with lighting outside of the viewport, would be the best place for this kind of indicator. Is there a reason the CIE needs to be identical to the VFB? It could just not have this indicator in the CIE.
« Last Edit: 2020-09-25, 00:25:51 by Jpjapers »

2020-09-29, 15:33:46
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I am very sorry, but I still don't fully understand this request.
What exactly do you mean by "light off" and "light on". Do you mean the checkbox in a light's modify panel that says "On"? Or is it something else?
Can you explain:
a) What exactly is the behavior right now?
b) What exact behavior you would like to see?

2020-09-29, 17:28:25
Reply #5

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am very sorry, but I still don't fully understand this request.
What exactly do you mean by "light off" and "light on". Do you mean the checkbox in a light's modify panel that says "On"? Or is it something else?
Can you explain:
a) What exactly is the behavior right now?
b) What exact behavior you would like to see?

No problem

Current behaviour:
You can turn off the lightselect layer but it doesnt affect the light on/off setting in the scene. If a lightselect layer is off and you send your file to render, you will recieve a render with that light turned on because it is still on in the scene. This is great behaviour and doesnt need to change.

Proposed behaviour:
An additional checkbox to actually turn the scene light on or off and some form of indicator if you turn the lightselect layer off to show that the light is infact still on in the scene. Perhaps a red border around the checkbox.
(see attached image) Not the best UX/UI but hopefully it illustrates the idea.
« Last Edit: 2020-09-29, 17:51:35 by Jpjapers »

2020-10-05, 16:07:07
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I think this would make the UI of LightMix too complicated, and could confuse users. Of course, if more users request this behavior, we can think about it.

2020-10-05, 17:34:50
Reply #7

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think this would make the UI of LightMix too complicated, and could confuse users. Of course, if more users request this behavior, we can think about it.

As i say the UX/UI was only to demonstrate what i mean. I still think some form of warning or indication that a light is still on in the scene when the lightmix layer is disabled could be useful especially at render time.