Author Topic: Max versions  (Read 1971 times)

2017-07-05, 11:35:54

Paul Jones

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm thinking of kicking the adesk subscription out as I just don't like the way they are doing business, but wondering for future how many versions back of max will Corona support? Seems most plugin devs support the last 3, could be beneficial to everyone to support from say max 2015 then the last 3? I imagine Im not the only person thinking of pulling the plug on Adesk and sticking with my perpetual license..

2017-07-07, 03:07:33
Reply #1

snakebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Snakebox Media
I'm thinking of kicking the adesk subscription out as I just don't like the way they are doing business, but wondering for future how many versions back of max will Corona support? Seems most plugin devs support the last 3, could be beneficial to everyone to support from say max 2015 then the last 3? I imagine Im not the only person thinking of pulling the plug on Adesk and sticking with my perpetual license..

There is no logical way they will continue to support super old versions of max, max2015 is already ancient basically, if you want to feel nostagic and hipster, you would use 2016, which many still do since it gets the job done. But I would not be surprised if 2015 was dropped by the time we get 2019.

So if you drop your subscription now, surely you would use 2018 to make sure you use a supportd version for as long as possible?

2017-07-10, 10:46:22
Reply #2

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Autodesk officially supports only 3 versions back - both in saving and licensing. And they recommend plugin developers to do the same. So right now, we cannot legally run any max older than 2015, which means we could not debug any max 2014-specific bug should it happen. We still provide 2012-2014 in the installer as is. We would like to drop 2012 support at some point, because 2012 vs 2013 is much bigger APi change than any newer updates, which causes us some pain and makes  the development slower. The usage stats show that 2012 and 2013 are hovering at few %, but 2014+ is still widely used.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)