Author Topic: DoF & MB noise  (Read 29696 times)

2014-12-11, 07:25:14

fobus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all.

I'm using Corona Alpha v7 and have a question. Is there any trick to get rid of noise in DoF and MB? All is fine with the noise until we catch up any bright spot in our view. It's counless amount of time neede to remove noise from this spots. The only solution I found is use of BUCKET MODE rendering with very agressive settings. But even that giving me very rough bokeh in such areas of images.

Simple example made for this thread.

2014-12-11, 07:58:13
Reply #1

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
you can try lower the GI/AA balance to 8 or 4 or 2. it help a lot.
and for somecases we have to wait till up to 800-1000passes so that DOF will look smoother.
yes, i think bucket mode is the best for DOF image.. it adaptivity handled noise pretty well.

2014-12-11, 09:12:44
Reply #2

fobus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Unfortunately no luck with PROGRESSIVE sampler at all. GI/AA balance set to 2 and 6000 passes with silky smooth GI and bokeh but pronounced noise in areas of interest. Plus huge time for render of course.

2014-12-11, 09:42:14
Reply #3

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
maybe the problem comes from objects material, can you upload your material settings?
it can be from diffuse albedo, light emiter, caustic enabled on glass material...

2014-12-11, 09:56:21
Reply #4

fobus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Scene in first post. Nothing wrong in material in my opinion.

2014-12-11, 11:57:24
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
You're asking a lot from Corona in this scene :]

If you really need those flying spheres to illuminate your scene maybe it'd be better to replace them with actual Corona lights? See if it helps with noise. Also if it's for animation, i'd rather not turn off image filtering completely, instead i'd choose gaussian filtering and maybe even increase filtering width and/or blurring size.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2014-12-11, 12:12:33
Reply #6

fobus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You're asking a lot from Corona in this scene :]

If you really need those flying spheres to illuminate your scene maybe it'd be better to replace them with actual Corona lights? See if it helps with noise. Also if it's for animation, i'd rather not turn off image filtering completely, instead i'd choose gaussian filtering and maybe even increase filtering width and/or blurring size.

This scene is just for reference to this issue. No matter what light sources will be. No matter will it be light sources at all (we can turn light emission off). Bright spots in reflections and lights itself don't want to be blurred (or defocused) smoothly enough.

2014-12-11, 13:06:48
Reply #7

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
i just downloaded your scene. i'll give it a try tomorrow

2014-12-11, 14:18:25
Reply #8

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I manually clean up the specular noise (usually from metals in my case) in DOF in post...I guess the only solution is adaptivity for this ? You can leave it running like that for few days and it will improve just barely.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-12-11, 14:27:00
Reply #9

fobus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What about animation? You can't leave frame for several days to reduce noise. And no noisebusters can clean it up unfortunately... May be there is another solution?

2014-12-11, 14:33:42
Reply #10

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Not sure what others do, but cleaning up stuck up noise in DOF (still mostly specular from highly reflective metals, glasses,etc..) for me can be big pain in Vray as well. I still use DOF in Post for animation.

Btw, you misunderstood me probably :- ) I said you could leave it for days....but there would no little (or no) change, ergo more rendering gets very diminishing returns.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-12-11, 15:48:52
Reply #11

borisquezadaa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
three frames of a chrome ball moving FAST (that also reflects very high point ligths) that has motion blur and on top of that DOF?...
I guess  rendering is magic so you gonna need some real magic to get away with this.
Imagine 3 chrome balls separated far away reflecting brigth dots. How Corona could do interpolating and blurring between frames?
I would go full cheating.
Maybe there is a way of  puting more frames between so there are more to work with (i think Corona calls it "segments" and has a limit according to keymaster  RAM issues) for Moblur and doing DOF in post.
Better could be a velocity pass and zpass and cheat the hell of it in post.

NICE EXCERCISE!!!... i'll be playing with scene in the meantime.
What i do with Corona My Corona post of random stuff rendering
WARNING: English.dll still loading...

2014-12-11, 16:09:30
Reply #12

fobus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Post Dof and MB is great for time reduction but has nothing to do when reflections and refractions in play.

2014-12-11, 18:47:40
Reply #13

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
Lock at my thread.
right now, the only solution is to use bucket mode.
Its adaptivity isn't so bad and the noise is better and uniform than progressive.
But, as we know, it's impossible to know exactly the rendering time/frame like in Progressive

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=1448.0

2014-12-12, 07:50:33
Reply #14

fobus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Even in BUCKET MODE after 30+ minutes there in no clean image.

Is it the end?