Author Topic: Corona Picker values changing, resetting and showing wrong preview  (Read 1772 times)

2023-03-03, 13:17:28

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Im not sure if its been fixed in a newer version but whenever i try and type any values into the 0-100 rgb sliders in the corona picker, it just resets back to either 0.0 or 0.1.
If i drag the sider to the desired value and edit it to remove trailing decimals, the same thing happens.
If i try to drag the spinners, the values jump around wildly and always reset to 0 as soon as i let go.

This only happens with the Linear 0-100 sliders and no others.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Max 2022 and Corona 8
Unable to update currently as im mid-project.

EDIT: Also noticing that during interactive, if i am playing with the rgb sliders, sometimes IR doesnt update until the number reaches a certain threshold. For instance if i want to add 5 into the red slider when its at zero. If i type 5 and press enter it stays. But if i click ok, then reopen the colour swatch its back at zero.
« Last Edit: 2023-03-08, 12:35:41 by Jpjapers »

2023-03-03, 19:31:02
Reply #1

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I have just tried doing what you are describing and everything works as expected.
Using Corona 9 HF 1 and 3ds Max 2022.

Hopefully you can soon upgrade to the latest version and see if you are still experiencing the same issue(s).

Another idea: what decimal and grouping symbols you have set in Regional settings?
There was a known and already fixed bug when users were now able to enter values after decimal point, I thought it may be related.▬
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2023-03-03, 19:51:23
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Are you talking about 0-100%, or 0-1 range? Corona color picker does not allow more than one digit after decimal point in 0-100% range.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-03-06, 17:36:31
Reply #3

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I have just tried doing what you are describing and everything works as expected.
Using Corona 9 HF 1 and 3ds Max 2022.

Hopefully you can soon upgrade to the latest version and see if you are still experiencing the same issue(s).

Another idea: what decimal and grouping symbols you have set in Regional settings?
There was a known and already fixed bug when users were now able to enter values after decimal point, I thought it may be related.▬

I was only trying to enter whole numbers so there was no decimal places in my attempt. Ive attached a short video showing the issue but as you say hopefully its not an issue in newer versions.
In the video i am trying to enter a value of 13 into the Red,green and blue channels but as soon as i click away or press enter to accept the value it moves back to 0.0 or 0.1 on its own.

2023-03-06, 21:17:19
Reply #4

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Just tried exactly what you do in the video, everything words fine in Corona 9.

Hopefully you can upgrade to it soon.

2023-03-07, 18:58:26
Reply #5

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So ive jumped on to corona 9 as i ran out of ideas how to achieve what i needed to and it all seems to be fine with the linear sliders.
« Last Edit: 2023-03-08, 12:35:54 by Jpjapers »

2023-03-08, 12:34:40
Reply #6

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Theres still weird stuff happening in V9.

1. If i enter values in the R,G,B Fields they change themselves once i leave the picker.

19,39,39 changes to 21,39,39
16,27,29 changes to 21,28,28

2. The colours shown in the node preview window are not accurate to the values that have been entered. If you picker the preview window with the corona picker, the displayed colours RGB values are out by one or two points. This is also proven by taking a screenshot of the colour and checking the RGB values in MS Paint.

3. Even when you do change the values, the preview doesnt always update to reflect them.

I can load in an image from photoshop with the values i want, picker the image preview with the corona picker and the picker will change the values.

Videos attached.

« Last Edit: 2023-03-08, 12:43:02 by Jpjapers »

2023-03-08, 19:03:55
Reply #7

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Theres still weird stuff happening in V9.

1. If i enter values in the R,G,B Fields they change themselves once i leave the picker.

19,39,39 changes to 21,39,39
16,27,29 changes to 21,28,28

2. The colours shown in the node preview window are not accurate to the values that have been entered. If you picker the preview window with the corona picker, the displayed colours RGB values are out by one or two points. This is also proven by taking a screenshot of the colour and checking the RGB values in MS Paint.

3. Even when you do change the values, the preview doesnt always update to reflect them.

I can load in an image from photoshop with the values i want, picker the image preview with the corona picker and the picker will change the values.

Videos attached.

This is reported now, thank you.

(Internal ID=1072813787)

2023-03-14, 15:22:06
Reply #8

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Apparently this is related to a known limitation coming from 3ds Max, which unfortunately Corona has no control over:
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=14123.0

2023-03-15, 15:00:56
Reply #9

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Apparently this is related to a known limitation coming from 3ds Max, which unfortunately Corona has no control over:
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=14123.0

If i was to report this directly to the Max developers, any idea what i should cite as the potential issue and solution?

2023-03-15, 16:13:16
Reply #10

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
As far as I understand the root cause is that 3ds Max is not color managed, so we are converting between RGB with gamma 2.2 (or sRGB?) and linear. Linear has many "dark" values, but 2.2/sRGB doesn't. So if you pick a value close to the dark end of the gradient, then this cannot be converted and is instead crushed into pure black (or a slightly different value).

Image for visualization of the problem: https://www.mathworks.com/help/examples/images/win64/PlotTheGammaCurveOfSRGBAndAdobeRGBExample_02.png

If you were to report this to Autodesk, then I think the feature request would be "Make 3ds Max color-managed".
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-03-15, 16:17:01
Reply #11

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As far as I understand the root cause is that 3ds Max is not color managed, so we are converting between RGB with gamma 2.2 (or sRGB?) and linear. Linear has many "dark" values, but 2.2/sRGB doesn't. So if you pick a value close to the dark end of the gradient, then this cannot be converted and is instead crushed into pure black (or a slightly different value).

Image for visualization of the problem: https://www.mathworks.com/help/examples/images/win64/PlotTheGammaCurveOfSRGBAndAdobeRGBExample_02.png

If you were to report this to Autodesk, then I think the feature request would be "Make 3ds Max color-managed".

That picture genuinely is the best way ive ever seen the differences in spaces illustrated and now it makes sense why this happens. Thanks Maru.

2023-03-15, 16:59:44
Reply #12

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Getting precise sub <50 RGB values is indeed hassle, it's funny that it is hardcoded so that it doesn't matter what kind of conversion is displayed on top by Corona.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2023-03-15, 17:19:47
Reply #13

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Getting precise sub <50 RGB values is indeed hassle, it's funny that it is hardcoded so that it doesn't matter what kind of conversion is displayed on top by Corona.

Thankfully im seeing that in the current max beta,colour management is a thing. So hopefully in a few versions time we might see it in corona.
https://makeanything.autodesk.com/3dsmax/public-roadmap--dynamic-2597-6483XN.html#rendering-future
« Last Edit: 2023-03-15, 17:25:18 by Jpjapers »

2023-03-15, 20:58:05
Reply #14

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I've heard a rumor too ;- )
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!