Author Topic: OSL 3D Noise in volume Mtl yields unexpected results  (Read 1220 times)

2022-10-23, 01:05:01

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ive been trying to get a slightly modulating density to the global volume material and ive plugged the 3d noise OSL map into the Absorption and Scatter inputs of a Volume Mtl.
Ive decreased the Lacunarity to demonstrate the issue more intensely.

Im getting a strange effect where the ground plane behind the cone of light is displaying mapped with the OSL map despite the plane actually just having a default grey material applied.You can also see that the 2 lighting rig poles in the top right (which is behind the light) is also showing an odd effect.
You can see there is a difference in noise size too.

I cant imagine this is the intended behaviour? It doesnt seem to get any better with more passes.
This seems to be isolated to the global volume material. If the Volume Mtl is applied to a box the effect is as intended.

Max 2022 & Corona 8
« Last Edit: 2022-10-23, 01:18:40 by Jpjapers »

2022-10-24, 11:33:35
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
What kind of texture mapping are you using for your noise? (e.g. is it UVW-space or world-space or something else?)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-10-24, 12:11:14
Reply #2

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What kind of texture mapping are you using for your noise? (e.g. is it UVW-space or world-space or something else?)

Im applying this to the global volume mtl so theres nowhere to specify world space or UVW-Space within the material graph as far as i can see?

I may be misunderstanding though.

EDIT: I think its because i had the wrong volume mapping mode. Inside volume seems like it might solve the mapping problem but the rendering of one light and a plane is so slow its unusable in production even after increasing the default step size by 1000x Is it necessary that 'On Surface' affects surrounding objects in the way it does in the first image? The way the light casts with 'on surface' mode is fine and is pretty speedy. It just affects other objects in such a way that i cant see any use case for it.
« Last Edit: 2022-10-24, 12:34:36 by Jpjapers »

2022-10-24, 14:10:41
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I am not sure about OSL but there should be a way to specify in what UVW space we are operating. For global volume mtl, it is usually best to set it to "world space".

Using the "inside volume" option should help as well.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-10-24, 22:27:41
Reply #4

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am not sure about OSL but there should be a way to specify in what UVW space we are operating. For global volume mtl, it is usually best to set it to "world space".

Using the "inside volume" option should help as well.

I cant see anywhere to set the volume mtl UVW Space. Its definitely not in the material settings?

EDIT: Ive reopened the file and the issue seems to have just disappeared without changing anything. I will keep track of it. If it appears again ill submit to the bug reporting site.
« Last Edit: 2022-10-25, 01:38:05 by Jpjapers »