Author Topic: Sky turbidity and sun shadows  (Read 1061 times)

2019-03-12, 12:50:51

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Can someone ELI5 why the turbidity of the sky doesn't affect the shadow falloff from the sun?
I'm looking for softer shadows with the sun but want to retain the physical values rather than making the sun disk larger.
I would have thought that the hazier the sky is, the less sharp the sun shadows become but with a daylight system I can't seem to replicate it.

Is my logic flawed? Is it a perception thing?
Just curious!
« Last Edit: 2019-03-12, 15:27:00 by jpjapers »

2019-03-12, 15:46:15
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
AFAIK, Corona sky settings only affect sky colour, but not sun. It's not physical simulation, where sky parameters would affect sunlight traveling through atmosphere. There's nothing wrong to set your sun slightly bigger, even if it's not very physically accurate.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-03-12, 16:12:01
Reply #2

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
AFAIK, Corona sky settings only affect sky colour, but not sun. It's not physical simulation, where sky parameters would affect sunlight traveling through atmosphere. There's nothing wrong to set your sun slightly bigger, even if it's not very physically accurate.

Good to know thanks Romullus, I didnt know whether there would be any adverse effects overall from using a larger sun disk.
I would prefer to keep it physically accurate most of the time but if this is the accepted solution i guess ill give it a go.
Just seems strange to have a tooltip that talks about physically correct sun being at 1 and yet not being able to achieve a physical result of softer sun shadows from say an overcast or cloudy sky.
« Last Edit: 2019-03-12, 16:36:00 by jpjapers »