Author Topic: SR47 // interiors + animation  (Read 5835 times)

2018-11-22, 13:44:07

patrickdrescher

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hej!
I would like to present my latest personal project. I used this to develop my artistic and interior design skills.
The floorplan (but nothing else) is from my parents house :)

I also made a short movie for this project.

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/294021496" width="640" height="272" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="
">SR47[/url] from Patrick Drescher on Vimeo.</p>

Here are also some Panoramas
https://veer.tv/photos/288691
https://veer.tv/photos/288689

I hope you like it. If you have any questions or want to know more about this project feel free to ask.

Full resolution on Behance
https://www.behance.net/gallery/72885961/SR47

I know self advertising sucks but if you are interested in my work you can also follow me here :)
https://www.instagram.com/_patrickdrescher/
« Last Edit: 2018-11-22, 13:57:25 by patrickdrescher »

2018-11-22, 18:11:10
Reply #1

MattCo

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Lightmap
Beside the excessive noise, Is an Amazing project, the composition of the different cameras are stunning.
Kudos to you, very cinematic and immersive.

2018-11-23, 09:13:58
Reply #2

patrickdrescher

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Beside the excessive noise, Is an Amazing project, the composition of the different cameras are stunning.
Kudos to you, very cinematic and immersive.

Thank you very much, I'm glad you liked it!
Yeah the noise is really a problem in some scenes. I dont know why it turned out so strong. But I personally think it is not so distracting in general

2018-11-23, 12:10:04
Reply #3

MattCo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Lightmap
I think it does a bit.
Did you render with udh? Which setting did you use? Denoise Amount?
I think if you rerender a clean version it would be much better.

2018-11-23, 14:09:04
Reply #4

patrickdrescher

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think it does a bit.
Did you render with udh? Which setting did you use? Denoise Amount?
I think if you rerender a clean version it would be much better.

I would love to hear from others if they also think it is distracting. Cause rerendering the whole thing would take so much time. Most scenes (around 5 seconds) took me more than 21h to render.
But I guess you are right that a cleaner version would be much more appealing. 

Yes I used UHD cache with the animation (flicker free) option. I also saved the uhd cache and had it loaded from file for each scene. Noise limit was different for each clip but in most cases it was around 7-8% with denoise amount of about 0,7. (I dont remember the exact values)

2018-11-23, 15:32:50
Reply #5

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I find it distracting too. Honestly, you really should re-render it. Renders are great but that noise ruins it IMHO. Also, I'd disable the lock sampling pattern checkbox for animation, it looks weird. I don't know why it is advised to use that for animation. Maybe the noise is a bit less visible in certain areas but when you really see it, it just look weird. Unlocking the pattern will produce noise way more realistically (compared to a real camera noise) than that fixed grid over the render. Just my two cents

2018-11-23, 15:37:51
Reply #6

Noah45

• Active Users
  • press *1
    • View Profile
Same here, love the unique cameras, but noise and the repetitive dust are distracting the focus.
Retail Illustrator  (for ever' 80's )
3DMax 2020/Corona Version: 6DB

2018-11-24, 15:18:42
Reply #7

MattCo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Lightmap
I've never tried to render a sequence with no sampling pattern. I have to test it, btw I think the problem is that 7-8% of noise is too high, also remember that the denoiser clean each frame in a different way so that's why you see the noise "moving". I'd try to re render with 3-4 % of noise and low down a bit the settings to save some time. 21 hrs for 5 sec interior animation (around 120 frames) sounds a bit too much unless you have an old cpu.
Best
Mattia

2018-11-24, 16:43:28
Reply #8

patrickdrescher

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I find it distracting too. Honestly, you really should re-render it. Renders are great but that noise ruins it IMHO. Also, I'd disable the lock sampling pattern checkbox for animation, it looks weird. I don't know why it is advised to use that for animation. Maybe the noise is a bit less visible in certain areas but when you really see it, it just look weird. Unlocking the pattern will produce noise way more realistically (compared to a real camera noise) than that fixed grid over the render. Just my two cents

Same here, love the unique cameras, but noise and the repetitive dust are distracting the focus.

I've never tried to render a sequence with no sampling pattern. I have to test it, btw I think the problem is that 7-8% of noise is too high, also remember that the denoiser clean each frame in a different way so that's why you see the noise "moving". I'd try to re render with 3-4 % of noise and low down a bit the settings to save some time. 21 hrs for 5 sec interior animation (around 120 frames) sounds a bit too much unless you have an old cpu.
Best
Mattia

Thanks alot for your feedback and tips, guys! I appreciate it and I will try to re-render the animation. 
Guess I will test it if it looks better without the lock sampling pattern enabled or not.

I have a dual xeon e5 2670 so that shouldnt be the problem. The 21h are also with a little bit of dof enabled in some scenes. I havent figured out how to do this in post process. Can I do this in Premiere Pro with the z depth pass for example or do I need After Effects for that?. 
Most scenes also dont have alot of direct light and maybe there is something wrong with the wall shader. So I think that makes the render times also longer.
When I have finished my commercial projects I will have a look at this project again.

Cheers
Patrick

2018-11-24, 22:25:34
Reply #9

denisgo22

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I thing you should some optimization's for this scenes.
From my experience amount of noise in interior's area's very  depend's on window glasses and curtains material.
Need to be sure that windows glasses do not interfere to light passes from environment through the glass from HDRI or Corona Sky.
May be need to use Corona RaySwitch mat for turning off visibility of glasses for Indirect illumination, using thin glass option in Corona mat, using additional fake Corona lights with occlude
other lights option turn off -- on windows, which greatly speeds up the noise removal process and simplifies lighting setup, or portals /although I personally have never felt a particular difference in speed with or without portals:)))
And don't use max Hair and Fur on carpet's and refraction on plant's leaves:))Same problem with refraction may be on curtains material with using textile textures in refraction slot/
Also Corona Layered material itself ,+ and using AO map as mask in some cases /On large areas--etc. floors,ceiling,walls,/ may cause much longer render//
Good luck:)

PS. material of curtains need some more attention/
« Last Edit: 2018-11-24, 22:55:42 by denisgo22 »

2018-11-27, 02:30:10
Reply #10

plusvisual

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Really beautiful work, kudos on the directing too. Also... THANK YOU for not doing that fake hand-held look that many people are imitating these days... drives me crazy! This looks like it was a shot by a professional, well done!

2018-11-27, 13:41:50
Reply #11

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
The scene doesn't look particularly complex (in terms of geometry, shaders, lighting), so it should be possible to optimize it a bit for better render times.
Some quick suggestions:
-If there are no moving objects in your scene (and it looks like there are none, except for animated fire, which should not be a problem), you can render just one UHD Cache file, and re-use it for all frames, see: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000515648
-Simplify materials as much as possible - for example, you can use the rayswitch material to replace the GI of some complex materials with much simple ones
-Always use portals - https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000501660

It would be also tempting to see how a few frames are rendered with the classic denoiser and with the new GPU denoiser, but of course that would need some extra work and time.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-11-28, 09:41:10
Reply #12

Romas Noreika

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • romasnoreika
In my small test nvidia GPU denoiser denoised my image better but also lost a lot of detail in the image. Especially textures like wood grain etc.

Corona standart denoiser (CPU) did a better job, but was slower. I think its  very nice to have both.

I used NVIDIA denoiser on my white renders which is a miracle. I had my clean white renders in seconds. :) Using Titan XP. Anyways both are great.

Thank you very much.
RN

2018-11-28, 10:26:38
Reply #13

Kalopsia

• Active Users
  • Kalopsia Visual Studio
    • View Profile
    • Kalopsia Visual Studio
In my small test nvidia GPU denoiser denoised my image better but also lost a lot of detail in the image. Especially textures like wood grain etc.

Corona standart denoiser (CPU) did a better job, but was slower. I think its  very nice to have both.

I used NVIDIA denoiser on my white renders which is a miracle. I had my clean white renders in seconds. :) Using Titan XP. Anyways both are great.

Thank you very much.

I thought that the Denoiser always has been GPU based, that is why on my old Quadro it is slower than on the new GTX 1080.
Was I wrong???
Rendering since 2014

2018-11-28, 11:21:03
Reply #14

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
No, Corona's own denoiser always was and still is CPU only. So far, the only part where Corona uses GPU, is new Optix denoiser.

@RomasNoreika, if it'd be only about speed, i would use Corona's denoiser exclusively because of its superior quality, but new denoiser is freeing much necessary RAM and for that i love it very much :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-11-28, 12:00:34
Reply #15

Kalopsia

• Active Users
  • Kalopsia Visual Studio
    • View Profile
    • Kalopsia Visual Studio
Thank romullus

Just read the helpdesk. Learned something new XD I already new this but I never can remember.

But about speed, I already talked about this. Could we not get a GPU Precise DENOISE. Would it be faster then the CPU one we have now?
Or is that a stupid idea.
Rendering since 2014

2018-11-28, 12:24:55
Reply #16

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I don't think that's stupid idea at all. Devs already mentioned that they want to make involve GPU for certain tasks. Maybe denoising can be one of those tasks. On the other hand, if both denoising options would operate on GPU, that might mean that workstations with weak graphic card might be left without option to performe denoising at all.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-11-28, 15:02:00
Reply #17

Kalopsia

• Active Users
  • Kalopsia Visual Studio
    • View Profile
    • Kalopsia Visual Studio
I don't think that's stupid idea at all. Devs already mentioned that they want to make involve GPU for certain tasks. Maybe denoising can be one of those tasks. On the other hand, if both denoising options would operate on GPU, that might mean that workstations with weak graphic card might be left without option to performe denoising at all.

I guess the world is not perfect XD

Maybe on first use Corona can find out which one is faster the CPU or GPU and than set it as default.
Of course that means more development for Corona, Denoise for CPU and GPU. So I guess we stick to CPU for now.
Rendering since 2014