Author Topic: Does anyone use Connecter? Is it worth the setup?  (Read 5804 times)

2018-10-23, 14:01:19

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I really like the idea of design connecteds connecter app for asset management but the setup and categorisation of models is so time consuming.
Is anyone familiar with it and is it worth the setup time? Also does anyone have any tips for asset management? We  have ended up with thousands of models in the library without a clue what we have.

2018-10-23, 14:10:35
Reply #1

SHORT CUTS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • SHORT CUTS
I love it, takes time to organize your stuff in there but for us it was worth it. You have filters, you can use tags which makes it very convenient, got folders, subfolders and so on.

What we did was to create some extra space on our server just for connector where we have a folder for the maps and models organized into categories. Also, like you guys, we had tons of models laying around somewhere. What we did was to add them over time when we used them and initially just put our most used and best models in there to start somewhere.

2018-10-23, 19:03:07
Reply #2

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It was definitely worth it for me. It took me 3 days or so to properly organize and make good previews for our model collection. But being able to quickly browse through our models and textures and then click and drag them into my scenes is an invaluable time saver.

2018-10-31, 18:02:21
Reply #3

jamesdowling

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atmos Visuals
I'm a massive fan of Connector, I dont use that many plugins but that is definitely one I couldnt be without now

Like everyone else has said it took some time to get my existing models sorted but after that its super easy to add any new models I create/buy and forces me to keep my asset folders neat.

2018-11-02, 03:47:54
Reply #4

Benny

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I want to use it with materials as well, but find the whole preview thumbnail process so messy that I aborted that part. It was awkward to set up the studio scene, especially in terms of material scale. But then again, I may just have done it wrong, that portion isn't really documented.

2018-11-02, 10:18:59
Reply #5

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
i never use it but now i'm interesting.. i read Connecter documentation, i didnt find how to connect it to max (ex: select item then merge to current scene).
i like autodesk asset library but it doesnt support custom thumbnail.

2018-11-02, 10:24:47
Reply #6

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
3ds max script should install with Connecter automatically. If you want to open/merge/import assets in Max, just drag and drop them from Connecter to the viewport.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-11-02, 10:45:00
Reply #7

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Connecter installs its 3dsMax script the first time you merge something in :- ). Yeah it's slightly odd.

Otherwise, perfect script.

I still have to setup a material studio as the only thing I am still using Siger library. I need to compare which workflow is faster.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-11-02, 11:15:42
Reply #8

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Connecter installs its 3dsMax script the first time you merge something in :- ). Yeah it's slightly odd.

I still have to setup a material studio as the only thing I am still using Siger library. I need to compare which workflow is faster.

What other material studios are there out there?
I Wish connecter had like an auto tag feature for commercial sets like archmodels. Would make finding assets alot faster but hopefully i can get our studio onboard to start tagging assets as and when we acquire them.

2018-11-05, 11:00:50
Reply #9

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
3ds max script should install with Connecter automatically. If you want to open/merge/import assets in Max, just drag and drop them from Connecter to the viewport.
last time i tested, drag&drop didnt work for me.. i'm reorganizing my library now so think i need to find some time to try connecter again. based on the documentation it should do a great job for me.

+1!

2018-11-05, 13:30:12
Reply #10

Kalopsia

• Active Users
  • Kalopsia Visual Studio
    • View Profile
    • Kalopsia Visual Studio
I Wish connecter had like an auto tag feature for commercial sets like archmodels. Would make finding assets alot faster but hopefully i can get our studio onboard to start tagging assets as and when we acquire them.

Other than Connecter there is this payed plugin. It's pretty much the same idea. https://3d-kstudio.com/product/project-manager/

I use Connecter only for assets. No materials or HDRI. The changed a lot of things, you should read the documentation carefully and this article is helpfull
https://blog.connecterapp.com/connecter-is-the-cg-artists-lightroom-6df3490524d

It depends all on the what you final purpose is and who works with the assets.
Rendering since 2014

2018-11-07, 23:16:09
Reply #11

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I love the merge. especially the one keypress to rotate 90 degrees and the ability to place more than one of the object as an instance. Just wish the tagging feature was better. at the moment you can have more than one identically named tags :/
#