Author Topic: best mouse for 3ds MAX  (Read 39240 times)

2018-06-25, 13:11:24

fellazb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi there,

I was wondering if there are any articles or user experiences for suggesting some of the better mice models available for 3d work and especially for working with 3ds MAX.

For me one of the biggest things is that a smooth middle mouse scroll wheel (when pressed) is essential because that is one of the most used features in MAX for navigating in 3d space. I got a Rival mouse from Steel Series since it felt decent, but after a while this thing has some (hardware)troubles when using the scroll wheel which seems to be a known issue since alot of people describe this issue on the web.

Anyway, I'm hoping that some users here can share some insights in decision making of buying a decent mouse for 3DS MAX work. Thanks in advance.

2018-06-25, 13:31:21
Reply #1

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
To me, nothing beats good old Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical. I tried A LOT of other mice and never found one with such a smooth MMB as the one on the Microsoft WMO.

2018-06-25, 15:33:53
Reply #2

fellazb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reply and your conlusion that a "default" mouse still works best for you. Personally I'm not a fan of the more advanced mice with ergonomical grips en rotating balls or whatsoever hence my purchase of a rival gaming mouse back then.

Would be interested to see if more people feel like that.

2018-06-25, 15:34:39
Reply #3

Dimer

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2018-06-26, 05:35:13
Reply #4

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
This is my favorite mouse of all time. Been using it for ages:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104328

2018-06-26, 10:59:49
Reply #5

SHORT CUTS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • SHORT CUTS
Been using the Evoluent Vertical Mouse for years, very happy with it even tho its nothing special but your wrist and arm will thank you.

2018-06-26, 14:46:23
Reply #6

fellazb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Thanks for your input, according to all the given info so far it seems that there is a wide variety of personal preferences in terms of ergonomical and more advanced trackball mice already.  I'll have a closer look into each one.

2018-06-26, 15:41:59
Reply #7

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Been using the Evoluent Vertical Mouse for years, very happy with it even tho its nothing special but your wrist and arm will thank you.

Never even knew about existence of such type of mouses. How long for you it took to get used to it after normal mouse? Did you try gaming with it?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-06-26, 16:38:28
Reply #8

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I bought one of those vertical mice a few months ago and had to return it bc it felt so weird. One of my coworkers has one and she's been using it for years though.

The one I got was https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B9PDB5X/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The one I've been using for like a decade and can't seem to find a good replacement is Logitech Wireless Mouse M325.

2018-06-26, 22:31:11
Reply #9

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Hmm, i still want to try it myself. I tried to turn my wrist like if i would have vertical mouse and it felt so natural... let's see if i will manage to find a cordeless one with laser sensor... and for affordable price :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-06-27, 00:20:26
Reply #10

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Mice I've tried and had to return because of very stiff middle mouse buttons are:

Razer Deathadder 2013
Logitech MX Wireless
Func MS3 R2 Gaming Mouse
SteelSeries World of Warcraft Cataclysm
Anker Vertikale Ergonomic Optical USB Maus
Roccat Tyon
Mad Catz M.M.O. 7
Logitech G502 Proteus
Logitech G600

The one that has the least stiff MMB out of these is the Func MS3 but I couldn't adapt to its shape.

If someone knows a mouse as good as the Microsoft WMO with additional buttons (à la MMO...) I too want to know :)

2018-06-27, 09:08:36
Reply #11

fellazb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
A stiff MMB is exactly what is the worst you can have when using 3DS MAX. so far my Rival mouse was the best I found but still not very satisfied, especially since I now have some hardware problems with it.
The vertical grip is also something I never looked into but seems promising in terms of wristpain although I don't really have problems with that so far.

I did some searching and am interested in this mouse: https://www.3dconnexion.eu/nc/products/cadmouse-product-line.html It is unfortunately very pricey but if it's allows you a better navigation for 3ds MAX then it could be a go for me. If anyone has experiences with this one please let me know.

2018-06-27, 09:51:16
Reply #12

Jann

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The only reason I'm using the Logitech G600 both at home and work, are the 3 main buttons. Remapped the mid click to the right button, and it's a dream for work!
Not really using of the side buttons, but they are nice if you prefer extra shortcuts.
Logitech do have quality issues, so be aware of that.
G502 was good too, just didn't feel well for my hand.

I've also had vertical mice from Delux (cheaper brand than Evoluent), and was using one for a long time, even with some light gaming. They do need to fit your hand well to feel good.
Also tried MS Ergonomic round shaped mouse, but the Windows side button wasn't remappable, which made it useless.
Only thing I haven't tried are trackball mice. Maybe someday :D

2018-06-27, 10:43:55
Reply #13

SHORT CUTS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • SHORT CUTS

Never even knew about existence of such type of mouses. How long for you it took to get used to it after normal mouse? Did you try gaming with it?

Took me 3-5 days to get used to it and yes you can play games without problems. biggest problem in the beginning was hitting the mouse buttons i wanted to hit :)

2018-06-27, 11:03:59
Reply #14

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Peter Guthrie Visualisation
also been using an evoluent vertical mouse for about 3 years. Probably about half the office use them now.