Author Topic: Interactive Rendering: Performance Mode? (3ds Max)  (Read 2774 times)

2018-04-30, 07:50:01

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Is there a way to enable a less complex, GL style rendering option for interactive rendering? For example, tweaking texture position, even with region rendering, can be a significant time sink in between updating texture options and refreshing.

2018-04-30, 09:37:28
Reply #1

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Hmm, I mostly do that kind of stuff in the viewport - Texture tweaking that is.

Have you tried setting your GI to super biased / no GI modes perhaps?
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2018-04-30, 11:16:10
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
IR is already running in "performance mode" to make it as responsive as possible.
Can you tell us a bit more about the scene where it is working slowly for you?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-04-30, 11:28:43
Reply #3

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
It's not unbearably slow, but I'm migrating from Keyshot which has a 'performance' mode that disables multiple settings with one click (e.g. GI, shadows, etc.) to dramatically increase viewport rendering speed for situations like what I described.

I will need to try what @nkilar has suggested, that seems appropriate.

System: i7-7700 @ 4.2Ghz (8 CPU); 16Gb RAM

2018-04-30, 12:00:08
Reply #4

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
Did you mean set GI to super bias is set GI/secondary solver to none? i remember i tried to disable that setting and i got really worst quality but almost no performance increasing.
i assume that you have no any worries about non comparable quality with final render. so, What if you set the Max Ray Depth to super low value like 3-5? and UHD cache precision to 0.1? ..no significant performance increase but at least it helps a bit

2018-04-30, 14:59:48
Reply #5

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Did you mean set GI to super bias is set GI/secondary solver to none? i remember i tried to disable that setting and i got really worst quality but almost no performance increasing.
i assume that you have no any worries about non comparable quality with final render. so, What if you set the Max Ray Depth to super low value like 3-5? and UHD cache precision to 0.1? ..no significant performance increase but at least it helps a bit

If you set the secondary solver to none none you should probably not be getting incredible speed improvements. It should be noticeable though. What really helps is if you straight out disable GI (both solvers set to "none"). That will get the ball rolling much faster :)

On the other hand, once you do that you'll even lose refractions. I suppose a good workaround for that would be to set the primary solver to PT and then lower the "May Ray Depth" to something really small.
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2018-04-30, 19:17:47
Reply #6

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Force path trace already set up for IR if you don't turn it off in preference.
If you do not need shadows than what will be difference with viewport? =)

2018-04-30, 19:50:58
Reply #7

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Hmm, I mostly do that kind of stuff in the viewport - Texture tweaking that is.

Have you tried setting your GI to super biased / no GI modes perhaps?

Corona triplanar mapping has not been appearing correctly in the viewport. Is this a bug or an expected issue?

2018-04-30, 20:36:42
Reply #8

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
This is expected behaviour. Triplanar can't be displayed in viewport, since it doesn't utilize model's UVs.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures