Author Topic: Northern Wisps  (Read 18377 times)

2018-05-08, 21:27:01
Reply #30

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Marek Denko is a very talented artist. I love his personal projects. I think his projects takes considerable time since he makes every thing himself. The truth is quality work takes time to ensure the best is achieved. If I remember from watching some interviews of some of the world top archviz studios, projects take up to 6 months and it is nice to know some clients have come to understand the need for time to get the best quality of a project. If u also check out work by Jesus Selvera (Zuliban) (very talented artist), his projects take time as well. This may also be due to working on it on and off. Quality work should not be rushed.

I agree with Alex Roman's approach as well. I remember a discussion I had not too long ago with a friend. He mentioned how some areas of cg will be handled differently in the next 3 to 5 years. Modeling everything by hand is going to be a thing of the past. We already have photogrammetry which is being adopted very fast in the industry for games, films and archviz. This is a faster approach for both modeling and texturing rather than doing everthing by hand. In the possible future, there are talks of AI handling modeling assets. I remember how certain 3d artists used to feel about using character creation softwares like DAZ or Poser being unoriginal work but currently, scanning is being used for characters these days for games. It's all about speed and quality. I have always watched the industry closely and I remember during my masters degree course, noticing how game engines would change the archviz industry. My fellow coursemates thought otherwise. So I always advice that observation is key, and trying to get with where the industry is moving towards. The fact is ''clients don't really care about the process, it's the end result that matters'' feng zhu used to say this. He is an awesome concept artist. I think sometimes, we get too purist about things when practicality should be the norm.

For a lot of us, freelancers, time is money as a lot of clients want work done in a week or two. So here is where the balance need to be worked out. So I have realized, putting every detail in takes time (I would very much love to add them if I have the time) but a satisfied client is also important. So if u are very fast and the quality of your work doesn't suffer or get compromised, even better.

2018-05-08, 22:44:03
Reply #31

bartosz.domiczek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for giving a glimpse into your perspective. I may be giving some speech next month about things connected with the personal work routine and this topic can help me shape it in my mind. I am also sorry if I get too random and disorganized with my thoughts.

To be honest, I am very defensive about my work. We are made to be quite a bit 3d generalists in arch-viz industry so I juggle with software trying to learn on a daily basis but I feel to be merely scratching a surface everywhere. Sort of the consumer of a user-friendly, egalitarian, nicely crafted set of tools than any kind of a creator. You mentioned AI in the context of the changing industry and I often try to figure out how easily I could be replaced by AI with my job. A lot of people deem the artistic values as irreplaceable but for me, it seems just a snap. A few classic principles, learning on errors and maybe some random dose of a bizarre.

But I don't want to sound too negative. Actually, I am not negative at all (probably just a bit concerned within this inertia of the change) and love the fact that we have nowadays the access to that abundance of sources. It has never been easier and faster to get the magic out of the render button and we start to be able to pull off the projects that used to require at least a small team a few years ago. There is also something a bit ethically reassuring about the photogrammetry as it's bereft of this personal creation aspect that custom 3d modeling used to have. It is like getting the genuine bricks of the world and playing gods with them.

To sum up this bipolar disorder: I have a problem with appreciating my own work but also a lot of fun with doing it. My commercial endeavors are nearly always compromised by the aspect of time (to the point of producing 20 renderings a day) and I see this impatience projected into the personal work as well. But I notice that images finished within 30 minutes are sometimes way better than the one crafted for days in sweat and tears so I probably start to understand the value of the simple and fresh approach prevailing upon the over-complicated solutions. A bit like an impressionist painting juxtaposed with some tiresome academic piece.

2018-05-09, 00:43:46
Reply #32

Ealexander

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • evan alexander
Well it's already been said, but...WOW! 

2018-05-09, 02:02:56
Reply #33

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Not at all. I am also learning from this discussion as well and I think the points u have raised are important.

I strongly believe that artist should try to evolve as technologies concerning 3d art does. I think the techniques for photogrammetry is going to evolve where 3d assets can be created even faster. We already have megascan, substance designer that works towards getting things done faster.
As for AI taking our jobs, I think that is less likely to happen. Tools have always evolved in every industry freeing more time for creativity. I still think that will be in the next 7 to 8 years. So picture an artist posting a work saying this AI maybe Setana was used to create this apartment in 4mins. I do think there are informations or language u have to feed the AI for it to produce the end result. That itself would require a certain amount of skill. So maybe a job category will be created for people who are good at using Ai to create worlds and environment.

There will always be need for people who are skilled at using certain tools to produce something especially if the quality required is met and its even faster.

If u are faster at creating personal projects as a result of the commercial ones. I see that as a good thing. It encourages you to learn more things and try out different techniques. From my dabbling with game engines, I have learnt a lot about resourcefulness and how not to waste assets, textures e.t.c. Streamline techniques and other stuff. It has been a very eye opening experience especially how gorgeous games nowadays look like God of War. Imagine a client exploring a forest before getting to the main house, or driving a car along a road before getting to the main house similar to the existing site. The possiblities are endless and there is a likelihood of clients wanting this in the not too distant future.

I know change may be sudden or threatening but sometimes, looking at how such technologies would work to one's benefit or advantage is another way of looking at it. :- )

2018-05-09, 11:57:17
Reply #34

dia

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Lovely project. I first saw this at the very beginning and i saw the potential in this work. great design !! Love those small little "houses".

I would have keep my images down though. Cause there is some very good images and there is some that i think doesnt match up at all.

Overall great design and good materials and feeling.

1,3,5,6,9,12,13,14,15,16 good images the rest...really gives the project a minus side..

/DIA
« Last Edit: 2018-05-09, 12:04:03 by dia »

2018-05-09, 12:44:31
Reply #35

bartosz.domiczek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. As I wrote in the first post, I know that there are better and worse images here but I decided to attach everything for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, I asked a few friends within the industry about the entire set and their favorites before making this project public. I had my own picks but I was certainly biased as the author. Surprisingly, their answers were really scattered and some of them even voted as the best the renderings you crossed out.

Secondly, it is a competition project and I think that this kind of work should be openly shared with the community, all flaws included. Therefore feel free to elaborate on what you don't like. I think that in most cases it would fit with my own feelings.

2018-06-12, 19:36:55
Reply #36

Kalopsia

• Active Users
  • Kalopsia Visual Studio
    • View Profile
    • Kalopsia Visual Studio
Just saw your making-of on Ronen's page and thought I should look this up on the Corona forum.  I was pretty sure I'll find something. An here we are XD

I really envy you for all the fun you had on this amazing project. I simply love the lighting and the composition. In my opinion these are very important, even more so than texturing or modeling. Specially in archviz.

Like the discussion about burnouts and non-commercial projects. Very interesting stuff. Lately I am a bit frustrated with all the tools available that I never use because there is simply no time to incorporate them into commercial projects.
I would really love to use Megascan or Substance designer, even Marvelous is to much of a hassle. Clients simply don't pay you enough , so you end up buying assets.

As I said, I love your lighting. So I'm curious if you have any background in photography or film. The same goes for post-production. Most of you work with interior shots simply looks amazing and I would like to know what is you usual go-to software.
In my opinion Corona is great to get an idea of the final image but in most cases you still have to do post in an external software.

Hope you are already working on your next thing.
Rendering since 2014

2018-06-13, 20:33:40
Reply #37

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Congrats on the win. You really did exceptional work here. Saw your making of on ronen bekerman. Very informative :- )

2018-06-14, 09:18:51
Reply #38

mutilo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have no words. Compliments!!!

2018-06-19, 09:25:34
Reply #39

bartosz.domiczek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you, guys!
Sorry for the late reply but it's my vacation time. : )

Like the discussion about burnouts and non-commercial projects. Very interesting stuff. Lately I am a bit frustrated with all the tools available that I never use because there is simply no time to incorporate them into commercial projects.
I would really love to use Megascan or Substance designer, even Marvelous is to much of a hassle. Clients simply don't pay you enough , so you end up buying assets.

I understand you well. I rarely try new tools when having a commercial commission. That's why a personal work is so important for me. If not for it, I would be probably burned out for a long time, possessing just a very basic skill set.

As I said, I love your lighting. So I'm curious if you have any background in photography or film.

Not really. My background is rather traditional art and architecture but certainly, I am interested in film and photography as probably most of us do.

The same goes for post-production. Most of you work with interior shots simply looks amazing and I would like to know what is you usual go-to software.
In my opinion Corona is great to get an idea of the final image but in most cases you still have to do post in an external software.

I used to work with ArionFX when dealing with rendering on V-ray but I don't find this need anymore with Corona. Maybe just slightest adjustments are all it takes. I always try to minimalize the amount of necessary postwork.

2018-06-20, 08:56:29
Reply #40

Kalopsia

• Active Users
  • Kalopsia Visual Studio
    • View Profile
    • Kalopsia Visual Studio
Thank you, guys!
Sorry for the late reply but it's my vacation time. : )

Thanks for your reply. Don't worry, sadly I have little time to read trough the forum.

I used to work with ArionFX when dealing with rendering on V-ray but I don't find this need anymore with Corona. Maybe just slightest adjustments are all it takes. I always try to minimalize the amount of necessary post-work.

That is exactly the way I do it right now. Always try to solve everything before render-time and than go to post. Right now I am looking into CaptureOne, since I don't see a reason to use video editing software that is far to complicated and I'm getting tired of Photoshop and CameraRaw. It looks like a god alternative and the tools are very well designed.

Congrats again on your win and enjoy your vacation
Rendering since 2014

2018-06-24, 11:08:02
Reply #41

Sportler

• Active Users
  • Corona, yay!
    • View Profile
    • Carl Findahl
Woah, congratz on this one! All the images look truly stunning and amazing. I love the night shots where you really see the structure of the cloth!

2018-07-22, 10:40:31
Reply #42

bartosz.domiczek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So it's this project yet one more time. It's been recently nominated for CGAwards, which I am really grateful for.
I promised to make some cinematic piece and I guess it's finally done. It wasn't easy to create any kind of narration when actually starting from the end (ie. having the scene ready). Thus it may feel somehow coerced but I haven't had time to re-interpret it from scratch into something different.

I am glad I can move on now into some new endeavours. : )

2018-07-22, 18:36:31
Reply #43

Noah45

• Active Users
  • press *1
    • View Profile
What the hell did I just watch? I'm going to take a smoke break, and watch it again. ; )
Retail Illustrator  (for ever' 80's )
3DMax 2020/Corona Version: 6DB

2018-07-22, 18:46:37
Reply #44

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
sounds like horror movie, cool!

we are waiting making of =)