Author Topic: CRITICAL SPEED ISSUE WITH APPLE M SYSTEMS  (Read 10438 times)

2023-10-20, 14:31:23
Reply #15

ASIMO

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just copied pasted the scene in to a new file. Result 14:26
A lot of difference...
I don't know but maybe there is something with this file.
Maybe good to check with something more recent before coming to conclusion on the Mac Studio.
I don't know if intel chips have as well big differences depending on scene type. You test scene hardly makes use of render instances.

14:26 ? So even slower in a new file ?

I am open to test scenes that render around 10-15 min. If you want to setup up something it would be great to compare. Maybe including some basic textures, shaders, objects, instances, round edges, displacement and so on ? So we could eliminate certain categories ?

Thx for your interest in this topic. A

2023-10-20, 14:38:32
Reply #16

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hey guys, sorry, but there so much information here that soon it will become impossible for us to go through it all. What we need is simple:
- a sample scene (archived with all textures and other assets)
- the render time you are getting
- your exact hardware
- your version of Corona and C4D
- if you wish, you can also include a comparison with other hardware
- any other relevant information such as render stats are welcome, for more information on how to correctly prepare reports, see: https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/4648898278545

We need this as a support ticket sent here: https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Once we have all the details, we will investigate ASAP!
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-10-20, 14:42:12
Reply #17

ASIMO

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys, sorry, but there so much information here that soon it will become impossible for us to go through it all. What we need is simple:
- a sample scene (archived with all textures and other assets)
- the render time you are getting
- your exact hardware
- your version of Corona and C4D
- if you wish, you can also include a comparison with other hardware
- any other relevant information such as render stats are welcome, for more information on how to correctly prepare reports, see: https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/4648898278545

We need this as a support ticket sent here: https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Once we have all the details, we will investigate ASAP!

I understand. I will take care of this and sending in the scene and my results.

Thanks a lot for you efforts !

A

2023-10-20, 14:44:11
Reply #18

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Thank you too! Hopefully we will be able to reproduce the slowdown and then it should be possible for us to find out what exactly is causing it. If we won't be able to immediately provide a solution, we should be able to at least explain what is going on. 
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-10-20, 14:47:29
Reply #19

ASIMO

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you too! Hopefully we will be able to reproduce the slowdown and then it should be possible for us to find out what exactly is causing it. If we won't be able to immediately provide a solution, we should be able to at least explain what is going on.

I totally agree and I am happy to assist and do some testings as well :)

Sometimes an explanation is already helpful to understand things.

Thank you.

2023-10-20, 18:27:59
Reply #20

Philw

• Active Users
    • View Profile
FYI The scene from the first post: 12:08 on my M1Max MacBook Pro 64GB - Corona 10 hotfix 2 - C4D 2024.1

2023-10-20, 22:48:36
Reply #21

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Always interested in these speed tests. Surprised to see my 2017 iMac Pro faster than all of them.

2023-10-21, 08:49:06
Reply #22

runx

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Mac Studio Ultra 128GB / c4d 2024 / corona 11 daily

Original Scene: 11.30

* copied eyerything  over in new scene : 9.32

** > put all textures in Corona Bitmap:  1.38 ( sic !!)

hope that helps

2023-10-21, 10:20:43
Reply #23

fabrica

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Mac Pro M1 - 32GB - C4D21 - Corona 10(hotfix2)
(laptop was plugged in while running)

Original Scene : 9.59

(haven't tried the textures in Corona Bitmap yet...)

2023-10-21, 10:59:12
Reply #24

prince_jr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@ASIMO the strange thing with your sample scene is...the longer the scene renders, the fewer the rays/s (total) become.
> same rendertime (see attachment)
> also copied the whole scene into a new one. rendertime makes no difference.
>in other scenes i have constantly ~11'000'000rays/s

2023-10-21, 11:37:08
Reply #25

lollolo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Not a Mac user anymore. But I was wondering and rendered this scene on my Threadripper 3990 Win 10 build.

Using native C4D Bitmaps: 2:15
Using Corona Bitmaps: 1:05

Honestly, I was not aware of such a speed difference between Corona and C4D bitmaps!!
Only downside, the Treeline in the background rendererd very blurry. Changing interpolation didn't help. Is there a known issue for non-square textures? (The tree texture has a resolution of 7000x1138px)
Just wondering, because everything else rendered fine…

« Last Edit: 2023-10-21, 14:21:03 by lollolo »

2023-10-21, 14:04:17
Reply #26

runx

• Active Users
    • View Profile
so a script / possibility to automatically convert c4d textures > to corona bitmap would be of great help!

if not a necessity!!

2023-10-21, 14:18:38
Reply #27

Philw

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Historically though there have occasionally been recommendations to not use the Corona bitmap - not sure if all those issues have been ironed out?

2023-10-21, 14:33:43
Reply #28

lollolo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
so a script / possibility to automatically convert c4d textures > to corona bitmap would be of great help!

if not a necessity!!

+1

Helpdesk for Corona Bitmap Shader: https://docs.chaos.com/display/CRC4D/Corona+Bitmap+Shader
I don't see any drawbacks listed.

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=35076.0
Corona Bitmap seems to be not working with psd files (I don't use them often anyway)

So why is Corona Bitmap not set as default? Or, if there is a reason to not set it as default, a way to convert all C4D bitmaps to Corona bitmaps would be VERY useful.
I would love to hear from Corona team.

/// And sorry for abusing this thread.

2023-10-21, 15:00:43
Reply #29

ASIMO

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Not a Mac user anymore. But I was wondering and rendered this scene on my Threadripper 3990 Win 10 build.

Using native C4D Bitmaps: 2:15
Using Corona Bitmaps: 1:05

Honestly, I was not aware of such a speed difference between Corona and C4D bitmaps!!
Only downside, the Treeline in the background rendererd very blurry. Changing interpolation didn't help. Is there a known issue for non-square textures? (The tree texture has a resolution of 7000x1138px)
Just wondering, because everything else rendered fine…

Hello

Thank you very much for sharing your results. The issue with the blurred background appears to me as something alarming, as it is true for almost all objects in the the Cosmos browser in general ! Once you move objects around 100m far from the camera textures will start to blur and loose sharpness. It becomes visible, once you scale up objects in the distance. It is easy to test, by just applying a texture to a cube and move it to the background. It can be avoided manually, setting the Blur Scale to -100% and make it sharp again. I believe this could be an undetected bug. There also is a thread on this, showcasing the trouble. See link with no statement yet.

Maybe that is also why it renders faster when changing the scene to Bitmap ? Not because it is a Bitmap, but because there is less accuracy / sharpness !

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=41149.0
_

This might be a bit off-topic but it could also be connected with the way Intel-chips or M-chips deal with textures.

A